240v tripping (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
When I plug in the external 240v lead the it keeps causing the trip to go in my house.
.Been OK before but needed to charge the van engine battery as it is flat, and wouldn't start.
Don't know how, but could the flat engine battery be causing the trip to go due to an initial large charging current.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
The charger in itself will not trip out the house. Something is shorting out.
I think you will have to use a process of elimination.
Plug just the lead into the house socket and see if it trips. If not turn off everything you can find in the van then plug it in and then turn things on one at a time until you hopefully identify where the fault is.
Good luck.:thumb:

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks,
The trip doesn't go until plugged into the van. Nothing is switched on in the van, but blows the trip in the house.
When just using 12v in the van everything works fine.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
If there was a fault in your MH the circuit protection devices in the vehicle should have operated first. Hopefully all your circuits are protected?

Usually, all your 230V circuits will be on when you plug in. Probably the only one you can switch easily is the charger supply. Try isolating all the miniature circuit breakers in your MH, then reset them one by one, similar to suggested previously.

Is it an earth leakage breaker or a standard miniature circuit breaker in the house? What is the current rating?

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As above, I would try the lead on its own, and check the connections in both ends, you could have a loose wire or damage somewhere which trips the house electrics when you plug it in.

Once you are sure the lead is ok, then start looking at the van electrics.

Allan

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Yes ,tried the lead on it's own, all OK until connected to the van.

Plug lead in after you switch of all 240v electrical breakers,also make sure no appliances plugged in then switch on breakers one at a time if they are ok keep them on then plug in any appliances you had on one at a time

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
When you say "trip" do you mean the Miniture Circuit Breaker or the RCD (if fitted)

I have known a surge of current to trip out a Miniture Circuit Breaker but this usually happens on low Amperage MCB's (Ie: A 1Amp MCB trips when a TV is plugged in)

If you have an RCD fitted in the house, it could be what is called "out of balance load" and can be a bloody nuisance, quite often happens with fridges and freezers etc, items that switch on and off quite often.

RCD's work on the principle that the Line and Neutral are balanced and will only operate when either the Line or Neutral go out of balance.

It could be the Transformer in the 230/12 system is causing either a surge or an out of balance load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks, but nothing to do with the house RCD, thats working as it should, and works just fine with all the other house appliances, also no problem when any other external stuff used.
Only the RCD on that circuit trips, and only when I plug into the van, with nothing switched on in the van.
I'll start isolating at the breaker in the van tomorrow.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Thanks, but nothing to do with the house RCD, thats working as it should, and works just fine with all the other house appliances, also no problem when any other external stuff used.
Only the RCD on that circuit trips, and only when I plug into the van, with nothing switched on in the van.
That's the way to go eliminate one by one I think I've herd that some where else there is defitaly a eeecccooo

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Turn all the Circuit Breakers in the camper off and then plug in the mains lead, see what happens before you start switching on the CB's in turn.

If your house trips before you switch on the camper CB's then it could be either a surge or "out of balance load" as the only thing which should be in circuit is the 230/12v system.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
If the RCD is tripping you may have a short to earth, this may be minor such as a drip of water onto the electrics or more serious like a screw /nail touching a cable or insulation rubbed away. Do you have a multimeter? if so set it on resistance, highest scale (mega ohms) test from neutral to earth, if the fault was on the live it would most likely trip the MCB as well ( though not always, so if the neutral is ok try the live as well) test with all the breaker on, if the meter shows a circuit switch off the breakers 1 by 1 until the fault goes, then you should know which circuit is at fault.:Angry: Possibly, because all the neutrals are linked in the consumer unit this may not show the fault. If you feel up to it, disconnect the neutral wires 1 at a time while testing. If you think this is too much or you still cannot find the fault you will have to get an electrician to check it. Good luck :thumb:

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Had a similar problem. It was the van connector. Apparently despite the strong looking plastic housing and huge pins there is a weak plastic bit inside that can break from the wiggling (technical term). This can open or short circuit.
The van connector is apparently easy to unscrew to check ( so the mechanic said)
Paul

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007

Can I assume you mean miniature circuit breaker (mcb) and not residual current device (rcd)? If that is the case, as I said before, the mcb in your MH should have operated. The MH devices will be smaller than the one in the house which is most likely to be 30A if it's on a socket circuit, so the MH mcb should discriminate with the house device and operate first. Sounds like there's a short circuit fault between your house circuit protection and those in the MH.

spotsy

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
You have a live or neutral to earth fault in mains lead or van . Multimeter testing needed to find it.If not competent get an electrician.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
You might find a big blob of water somewhere near the van connector.

I agree, could be moisture in van connection. Nuisance tripping of RCD's is incredibly common - good source of work for me though :winky:

Rob

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Thanks all for replies.
It was however the state of the engine battery causing the problem, should have been 980 EN and was only 70 EN when checked.
Replaced the battery and all is fine.
The huge initial charge being drawn by the battery due to it's poor state was the problem.
Just proves the point , however improbable but not impossible.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks all for replies.
It was however the state of the engine battery causing the problem, should have been 980 EN and was only 70 EN when checked.
Replaced the battery and all is fine.
The huge initial charge being drawn by the battery due to it's poor state was the problem.
Just proves the point , however improbable but not impossible.:thumb:

I don't know what 980EN and 70EN mean but a charger should under no circumstances trip an RCD.

OP
OP
H
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Don't know either. The auto electr:Smile:ician gave me a printout of the state of the battery, something to do with how much charge the battery will hold.
All I do know is that replacing the battery fixed the problem.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Don't understand that?? I suspect you have another problem with your protection devices in your MH, either RCD or mcb, which should operate before the one in your house. I would have them checked for safeties sake.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Don't know either. The auto electr:Smile:ician gave me a printout of the state of the battery, something to do with how much charge the battery will hold.
All I do know is that replacing the battery fixed the problem.

Your battery has nothing to do with 240 v

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back