crypto locker virus (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just a quick note about this type of virus. It can only infect files on your computer. So a regular backup of important files is essential.

Please note cloud storage is not a proper backup. As the encrypted files will overwrite the good ones in the cloud.

Its not much of an issue for Apple people who use time machine backups though as this keeps all versions of a file.

Even the best virus killer will eventually miss a new virus so backups are more important these days than they have ever been.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Just a quick note about this type of virus. It can only infect files on your computer. So a regular backup of important files is essential.

Please note cloud storage is not a proper backup. As the encrypted files will overwrite the good ones in the cloud.

Its not much of an issue for Apple people who use time machine backups though as this keeps all versions of a file.

Even the best virus killer will eventually miss a new virus so backups are more important these days than they have ever been.

Just trying to be a help, I am not, repeat NOT trying to convert anybody onto Linux (although having used Windows for many a year, I am more than pleased with Linux Mint 15) I just thought that this write-up would help explain why a virus of this type doesn't seem to infect Linux. And last week I didnt know this, so I have been informed as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/security#TOC-Firewall

Hope it helps:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

It's not an issue for Apple people at all, unless they have Windows running on a virtual machine or boot camp
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just trying to be a help, I am not, repeat NOT trying to convert anybody onto Linux (although having used Windows for many a year, I am more than pleased with Linux Mint 15) I just thought that this write-up would help explain why a virus of this type doesn't seem to infect Linux. And last week I didnt know this, so I have been informed as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/security#TOC-Firewall

Hope it helps:thumb:

Firewalls don't stop viruses. The rest of the article has flaws and misconceptions of its own.... Bad article sorry Billy :Sad:

I will just do one quick comment on why then leave it.
He says
My advice: do NOT install antivirus software
This is wrong. Plain and simple. For some people an AV install is essential even on linux. There are threats to linux and these need to be defended against. But mostly, if you are forwarding an email to a windows user do you want to be the one that passed them an infection. He says it is their own fault for using windows which to me smacks of selfishness. I will leave it there unless you need more details as to why that article has many many holes.

Bad bad article sorry :Sad:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Firewalls don't stop viruses. The rest of the article has flaws and misconceptions of its own.... Bad article sorry Billy :Sad:

I will just do one quick comment on why then leave it.
He says

This is wrong. Plain and simple. For some people an AV install is essential even on linux. There are threats to linux and these need to be defended against. But mostly, if you are forwarding an email to a windows user do you want to be the one that passed them an infection. He says it is their own fault for using windows which to me smacks of selfishness. I will leave it there unless you need more details as to why that article has many many holes.

Bad bad article sorry :Sad:

Thanks for the post and advice, what you say is good enough for me:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's not an issue for Apple people at all, unless they have Windows running on a virtual machine or boot camp
Allan

This particular virus may not be a problem for Apple people at all. But it is possible for a virus like it to infect an Apple computer (Or a linux one for that matter) I was just pointing out that the only protection is proper backups or a time machine style versioning backup facility.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thought I would bring this to everyone's attentions.

[HI]PLEASE READ THIS IN FULL:[/HI]

There is a prevention tool for cryptolocker. I have known about it for a couple of weeks but didn't want to recommend it until I had tried it myself. I have now installed it on 3 computers and not had any problems and the prevention technique appears to be sound. As a bonus it is also effective in stopping a bunch of other malware.

I have also seen that Brian Krebbs is recommending it. I Trust Krebbs when it comes to security, he knows his stuff.

Anyway here is the link:
http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

I recommend everyone running windows who has any valuable files not backed up to an unconnected storage area install this.

It may be worth signing up for the guys mailshot as well so you can keep it up to date in case the cryptolocker guys update it.

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
While I read this Thread it puts me in mind of another forum I used to visit. That forum run a Thread much in the same vain as this. The thing was it was a carrier of Mal-ware in its self, offering a link that you could follow to an external site that then infected the user....

So without wishing to poo poo this Thread and its intentions I would also advise caution on clicking any hyperlink within a forum. You Need to be careful always and have your files backed up and be running Mal-ware protection and Virus Protection regardless of your operating system.

Even trusted contacts can be Hacked and ID's can be stolen. Things are not always what they seem to be.

TRUST NO-ONE!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
While I read this Thread it puts me in mind of another forum I used to visit. That forum run a Thread much in the same vain as this. The thing was it was a carrier of Mal-ware in its self, offering a link that you could follow to an external site that then infected the user....

So without wishing to poo poo this Thread and its intentions I would also advise caution on clicking any hyperlink within a forum. You Need to be careful always and have your files backed up and be running Mal-ware protection and Virus Protection regardless of your operating system.

Even trusted contacts can be Hacked and ID's can be stolen. Things are not always what they seem to be.

TRUST NO-ONE!
ive decided i dont trust you....how can we be certain youre the real 4matt and not some identity thief scammer. this might just be some cynical ploy designed to trick us into downloading malware or something worse....a link to the dark side:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back