Ducato won't start (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Ducato 3.0 diesel which this morning will not turn to start.
The panel lights up when the key is turned to the pre-ignition stage and when I turn to ignite all I get is a bleep followed by a sort of chattering noise for a few seconds. (The panel does not light up in sync with the first turn of the ignition as it used to.)
Any ideas please? We are beside ourselves with concern and panicking as we have spent a lot of money on a camper that is to see us through a very long extended trop abroad next month.
Thanks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sounds to me like the battery is flat. Charge it up and it wil start, but you need to get your battery checked, unless you have left something turned on for a while that has flattened it
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It sounds like a possible flat battery. It's not an automatic is it? If you end up needing a garage i can strongly recomend Essanjay in Poole.

Malcolm

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
My Ducato wont start if there is too long a gap between opening the door and starting the motor, if this happens then I have to lock the van with the fob then unlock with the fob put the key in the ignition straight away then switch it on. Hope this helps. :thumb:

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Flat battery

Thanks. That will be hard to take. Its a newish battery and we have a solar panel that is supposed to keep it topped up along with the habitational battery.
Also, the battery level indicator on the camper panel shows a vehicle battery level of pver 13amps!

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
It sounds like a possible flat battery. It's not an automatic is it? If you end up needing a garage i can strongly recomend Essanjay in Poole.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm.
Not sure if it is the battery but will ask Steve at Essanjay who we know quite well. They are indeed top of the class when it comes to camper issues!

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Check the earth strap that joins engine to body, its usually bolted to some part of gearbox, a quick test is if you connect a jump lead from body to engine and try starting,

Best of luck

Eric

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Just tried it again and it has started. Did'nt do anything different, other than raise the electric step.
It fired without any hassle so battery must be at good level.
Will have me worried for the future though!
Please keep opinions coming as they are very helpful and comforting to us.
Cheers!

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We had opened the bonnet a few days back and perhaps did not lock it back into place. Could this have overridden the startup for safety?
By the way' it is an AClass Aviano (2011) with quite an awkward bonnet to get used to.

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
As suggested get Essanjay to check battery and charging system ( will take them only a few mins) and they are extra helpful.
Then review all the things you can leave on on the engine side such as lights, interior cab lights glovebox lights . check these are off when you leave normally. You can leave someone in the van whilst you do this to make sure and it is easier in the dark!
Do you have auxilliary systems that are connected to the vehicle battery? if so are they off when you leave the van.

Finally do you have an alarm system (aftermarket) that could be draining the battery after a while. Most engine batteries should last for 3 weeks without any problem between drives. We did not leave our x250 based van any longer just in case.

jon
/

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Any safety features( step down or door/ bonnet open ) will usually just cause an alarm to sound when you turn the ignition on or inhibit the starter motor, (turn the key and there will be no sound or dimming of lights.)
The chattering sound and dimming of ignition lights are classic signs of a flat battery or loose earth battery strap.
I would get the battery and charging circuit checked before you go away. The fact that it started normally a short time after, would have me looking at loose battery leads first.
Allan

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Check battery connections are tight

As you walk on passenger side it can move terminal up and down if loose, hard to explain but happened to us when in France tightened up and all ok

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Now sorted. It was a (very) loose earth connection which has now been properly tightened. Called in Bill from Autolec in Bournemouth whom I have used for annoying electrical issues before.
Strongly recommend him/his son Neil if you are in this area. Old school mobile technician with 50years experience and a company motto of "repair not replace".
Thanks to all for your contributions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back