Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi. I have a Compass Avantgaurd 150, 2009 reg and having a terrible time accessing the spare wheel. I can't see anything in the hand book that remotely resembles the spare wheel carriage let alone information describing how to access this spare wheel. Although the description given is written in English it completely incomprehensible. The van I'm sure as most of you will know is built on Peugeot Boxer base and has a 2.2 diesel turbo engine. Any advise would be gratefully received.:Confused:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps you could say where the spare wheel is located, is it also a Peugeot chassis with the spare wheel underneath at the rear?

Mike

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
By co-incidence I had to access the spare wheel from my Fiat Ducato this morning. It wasn't a happy experience.
The Fiat spare is carried under the van, in the centre just behind the rear axle. I don't know if it's the same on toys, there may be variations.
I have a long "jack handle" with a square end which passes through the plastic skirt and engages with a winding box which lowers the wheel. You then hook out the wheel and undo the nut which holds the winding cable to the wheel.
I did a fair amount of grovelling and knuckle scraping. I did eventually get it free and fitted the spare but it was a grubby experience. Swearing at the mechanism only helped a little.
If it's the same principle, best of luck.
Bryn

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the Fiat Ducata situation as described by brynric. Will have another go tomorrow and if unsuccessful will take some pics. Cheers Guys.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my advice would be to ask a local tyre fitter to show you how to do it

I know on my van the bodywork makes it near on impossible to lower the spare. the easiest way is to slide under the van with a ratchet or spanner and turn the spool from there

otherwise call out the RAC or AA, whichever you are with to help change the wheel:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
my advice would be to ask a local tyre fitter to show you how to do it

I know on my van the bodywork makes it near on impossible to lower the spare. the easiest way is to slide under the van with a ratchet or spanner and turn the spool from there

otherwise call out the RAC or AA, whichever you are with to help change the wheel:thumb:
That's what you pay for.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm jealous, we don't have a spare wheel.:Sad:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have a Boxer chassis with the spare underneath the van right at the rear.

I have managed to removed mine but it's not the best system I've seen. You need to unwind as much of the steel cable as possible so that you can slide the wheel out from under the body, if you have a long overhang I should imagine it will be near impossible.

As said get your recovery bod out and let them struggle. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
G

grymbo

Free Member
Jul 30, 2013
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avangarde 150
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Sorted! In the end called out the RAC. Everything fine now. Even know how to do it myself now:Doh: Thanks for the help guys.:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Glad you got it sorted, My First van had it underneath at the back but never took it off, the Second had none but a blow up thingy never used, this one has a spare in the garage, BUT it was only after I loaded it up to the gunnels going to Spain this year I realized it was in the far corner :Doh::Doh:, what a stupid place to mount it, I relocated it near the door at the first opportunity hopefully never to be used. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
By co-incidence I had to access the spare wheel from my Fiat Ducato this morning. It wasn't a happy experience.
The Fiat spare is carried under the van, in the centre just behind the rear axle. I don't know if it's the same on toys, there may be variations.
I have a long "jack handle" with a square end which passes through the plastic skirt and engages with a winding box which lowers the wheel. You then hook out the wheel and undo the nut which holds the winding cable to the wheel.
I did a fair amount of grovelling and knuckle scraping. I did eventually get it free and fitted the spare but it was a grubby experience. Swearing at the mechanism only helped a little.
If it's the same principle, best of luck.
Bryn

You're a brave man! We have the same carrier, I managed to wind it down to the ground but couldn't figure out how to get the wheel off the carrier, so wound it back up again. We have Peugeot breakdown cover, I'll ring them if we ever need to get the wheel off!

Allan

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I had a go with mine and it is not the most desired job on the side of a motorway, pouring rain as it surely will be.
A tip for you, when lowering it, place a block of wood at the far side from what you are winding it down . So that the tyre lands on the block. This will tilt the whole wheel towards you, enabling you to get inside the wheel and get at the wee screw pin that needs to come out to allow tilting the suspension plate and releasing the wheel from the cable. Heavy lump of a wheel. maybe laying a mat under where the wheel will land, that also reaches to the outside of the van, pull the mat with wheel on it may make the job easier.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Took mine off the Bracket, it now resides in the Locker! No way was I going to grovel underneath, trying to get it out on the road side!
AND!
I have more respect for the Breakdown Fellas to ask them to do it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back