Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
As far as I know it's either:

Until you get the Items repaired

or

Until the next MOT and it fails on the items which are on the advisory.

One point to make a note of is if you have to make a claim on your vehicle insurance the insurance company may reject your claim if they can show the claim is caused by something on the advisory and you have had time to complete any repairs but failed to do so

Insurance companies now have on-line access to your MOT records.

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
Lasts forever.
I had an advisory on a van for the past three years, then last mot, it disappeared !
Nothing had changed, they just never flagged it up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Lasts forever.
I had an advisory on a van for the past three years, then last mot, it disappeared !
Nothing had changed, they just never flagged it up

Me too, on an old Renault Trafic van. I kept getting advisories about the handbrake being on the limit. After 2 years, it had apparently fixed itself, no advisory on the 3rd.
Allan

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Every MOT on our Land Rover we get an advisory for leaking oil from pipework that was disconnected and has not been in use for years. If I could be bothered I would remove the pipes, but I can't because it is only a slight smear on the end of the pipes and doesn't even drip. One day it will stop or the Landy will have expired anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
an advosory is just that....advise.

it points to something, which in the testers opinion, could result in a failure of a component but isnt a fail item at the time of mot.

my car had a front brake pad advisory....verbally.

pads wont last another month, He said.....nowt wrong with the pads, loads of friction material and nowhere near the 'time to replace' warning.

i had an advisory for a slightly worn n/s steering kingpin on the RV.

these things do not correct themselves yet it wasnt mentioned at the next mot.......testers opinion only.

it was replaced by the advisory......this vehicle is fitted with type approved seatbelts......WHY ???

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had an advisory on my pickup for rumbling diff for three years , disappeared this year:Doh:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
There is no fixed period. It is to advise of likely problems.
e.g. nearside front tyre near legal limit, drive shaft gaiter showing signs of cracking, signs of corrosion to brake pipes etc.

Basically, you could expect these items to be failures next time around.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have had an advisory on my pickup for rumbling diff for three years , disappeared this year:Doh:

BOY, that must have been bad to hear it on the brake rollers or while spinning the wheel checking for brake bind. :roflmto:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
BOY, that must have been bad to hear it on the brake rollers or while spinning the wheel checking for brake bind. :roflmto:

I've never heard anything untoward so don't know what it was but the same bloke did for three years, different bloke this time:Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sometimes I think they have to put something down to make it look as if they've done a though inspection if they can't find anything to fail them on

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Sometimes I think they have to put something down to make it look as if they've done a though inspection if they can't find anything to fail them on

Both my son's are MOT testers in the family garage. They remember what they were told on their course, they must try to pass it, not try to fail it.
Many vehicles leave the premises with nothing failed or advised on the MOT slip.
Surely it is worth knowing there are potential problems?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back