Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I have been a member for sometime and have appreciated all the tips and advice flowing to and fro as regards vans and their associated fundamentals and gizmos . However, I was expecting some wisdom regarding the prime purpose of escaping this disappointing climate. Many of you end up in Spain, Portugal etc and there is no mention of why ?? Surely you go there to play GOLF. So come on lets' have the low down on inexpensive courses, welcoming courses that let you overnight for free. :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Golf....why golf.

most go to escape the miserable British winter weather and get a little warmth.

never seen anyone post what a great time they had on their last round.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi there moodybrook

Although not retired like a lot on here, I do take a half set with me when ever going in the motorhome and have golfed at some lovely and very cheap courses through out the UK and mainland Europe, including a stunning course in Sloviena this summer.

I am a member of D and G county and can recommend that although I think you may already have played it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Prime purpose for Motorhomes

Pappa john, and it is so achingly threadbare without it.
Gerry, I have indeed, the Crichton is my haunt but will be trading it for some drier climes in the future. Just got the means a couple of months ago and sort of bedding in(pun there maybe).
Come on everybody location Location location, with recommendations. I know you can do it.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We will be in Spain for 4 months from the end of Dec. to early May and will do many things.
I will play hopefully play golf once a week if he syndicate at La Manga is running, last year we paid 25 euro's which is not bad.
Plenty of other things to do.

Mike

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Pappa john, and it is so achingly threadbare without it.
Gerry, I have indeed, the Crichton is my haunt but will be trading it for some drier climes in the future. Just got the means a couple of months ago and sort of bedding in(pun there maybe).
Come on everybody location Location location, with recommendations. I know you can do it.::bigsmile:

I live just down from the Crichton and used to be a member years ago.

I would just recommend you stick the clubs in the van and just take whatever opportunity to play that you have, France has loads of very good and very reasonable courses.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Simples !!!!

Freeedom to do what you want when you want.
Nothing more to say.:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Prime directive

Brian, classic example of Johnny foreigner getting it all tits up. Sole purpose of a car is to transport player and clubs to suitable venue. A. they create a vehicle so fundamentaly unreliable it may never get there.
B. The boot is so small the tools of the trade don't fit.

Then they call it a golf :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Wildman, Fishing is for pre breakfast, Golf, night fishing if you so desire. One old rooster in the van is enough.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Brian, classic example of Johnny foreigner getting it all tits up. Sole purpose of a car is to transport player and clubs to suitable venue. A. they create a vehicle so fundamentaly unreliable it may never get there.
B. The boot is so small the tools of the trade don't fit.

Then they call it a golf :ROFLMAO:

The Golf was originally named for a wind, along with Sirocco, which was another contemporary VW model. It was only after people (golfers? :winky:) started hanging dangly golf balls from their rearview mirrors that VW played along and designed the Polo (also a game with balls, but a bit of horsepower involved as well).

Not a lot of people know that - or maybe they do. ::bigsmile::thumb:

John

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Apparently my step brother owns a gold course in Portugal somewhere..
Might explain why we have not been in touch for the past 20 years :winky: ( Nooo.. I know he is a good player so it aint taken him that long to get to the 19th, just that we live in different worlds :winky::RollEyes: )

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The Golf was originally named for a wind, along with Sirocco, which was another contemporary VW model. It was only after people (golfers? :winky:) started hanging dangly golf balls from their rearview mirrors that VW played along and designed the Polo (also a game with balls, but a bit of horsepower involved as well).

Not a lot of people know that - or maybe they do. ::bigsmile::thumb:

John

They also made a nice gearknob like a golf ball, good job they didn't call it the VW football, never be able to get in the cab or change gear:ROFLMAO:

Angus dog

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
I have been a member for sometime and have appreciated all the tips and advice flowing to and fro as regards vans and their associated fundamentals and gizmos . However, I was expecting some wisdom regarding the prime purpose of escaping this disappointing climate. Many of you end up in Spain, Portugal etc and there is no mention of why ?? Surely you go there to play GOLF. So come on lets' have the low down on inexpensive courses, welcoming courses that let you overnight for free. :winky:

Has everybody missed the point of your post.I have often thought that it would be worthwhile asking permission of a Club that if we played and maybe ate in the a Clubhouse could we park up in the car park .Showers and probably electric should be available.Never tried it yet but intend to in 2014.plenty of courses in Ireland to chose from

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Has everybody missed the point of your post.I have often thought that it would be worthwhile asking permission of a Club that if we played and maybe ate in the a Clubhouse could we park up in the car park .Showers and probably electric should be available.Never tried it yet but intend to in 2014.plenty of courses in Ireland to chose from

We have done this on several a course in UK and mainland Europe and not always when having a game and so far never been refused.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Exactly our intention, arrive late in the day and pay the cheap 'twilight' green fee and ask to stay.

Got to hope for clean toilets /showers along with water and hopefully gray water & a 'countryside' view ( please don't jump all over me with views of the countryside. We live out in the wilds in Gods own county. )

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My workplace is surrounded by a golf course, although not in itself golf related. One of the reasons I go away in the MH is to get away from golf.

A golf course was once defined as the only place where a white man can dress like a black pimp and get away with it. :)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

Hello moody,, it's nice to see someone on here who likes to play the game!! Now I love golf, but when I was in Spain etc a year or so ago I never came across a golf resort or club that had any facilities for Motorhomes, I would have loved that!! I couldn't think of anything better than getting up everyday, in the sunshine, playing the beautiful game everyday!!!

If you manage to find anywhere, let me know!!!

Perhaps a golf course owner who happens to be a member here can sort it out! Lol. X

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
@ianthebuilder just had look at post and realised it is from 2013, I wonder if much has changed.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Golf was invented to let the 'Players' hit the ball on to paths alongside the long green lawn bits of the course.

This allows people walking their dogs to find the balls and sell them back to the 'Players'

A lose, win situation.

:D :D :D :D

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
When we had our Escape, John took his golf clubs, only place to store them was the overcab, so i shared my bed with a set of golf clubs, after 4 years and them being used twice he left them at home. did play acouple more times, but hired clubs.
This van has a garage, almost on the limit when fully loaded, soit is golf clubs or motorbike, no contest, I can ride pillion but I dont play golf.
He plays at least twice every week sometimes twice during the week and at the weekend too. Perhaps the reason I bu**er off in the van on my own.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Prime purpose of our motorhome. We use ours as our sole vehicle hence 100,000 miles. It's also a beach hut at Cromer and will become a Bod next week in Shetland for 3 weeks. It's also been a spare room, a second kitchen at Christmas and a study for exams.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Now thread is revived:

Prime Purpose - substitute sailing boat for inland use' wildcamping like boat anchoages and Aires like fishing ports. No campsites like we did no Marinas.

Secondary Purpose - at present, only bedroom and tomorrow will be only 'home', as we have the builders in.

Geoff

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I gave up golf when I retired five years ago so that we could do the whole Motorhome escape thing we have spent every winter since in Spain and Portugal and not had a round and don't even miss it as me and the missus can go birding and wildlife watching together as she could not play golf and let me out every Sunday morning for 25 years to play.
I believed I owed her something and wanted to spend more time with her as in my work I worked long hours and we didn't spend a lot of quality time together.
We are currently in Sweden and try to do a couple of long tours per year and lovin it(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back