Drip Requires Condensation Advice (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The only condensation I seem to be getting on cold mornings with the Hymer, is from the sloping front window over the luton. Seems a bit amateurish to just bung a towel there, and so has anyone developed a simple method to either stop the conden happening in the first place, or to catch said drips??
Ta. :thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
The secret to getting rid of condensation is better air circulation.
Blown air heating or a fan,even just a few windows open on the first clasp.

Vlad

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The secret to getting rid of condensation is better air circulation.
Blown air heating or a fan,even just a few windows open on the first clasp.

Vlad

Done all that Vlad, and it works on all the other windows, However, it's just that one very high window, and I think only because it slopes, causing more of a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Done all that Vlad, and it works on all the other windows, However, it's just that one very high window, and I think only because it slopes, causing more of a problem.

hot air rises so thats probably where its hitting the cold window. perhaps some form of extra insulation on that window. prob have to be on the outside like a mini silver screen:Doh:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Employ a window licking nutter...there is one on here called paddy something :ROFLMAO:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:Smile:Hi Tootles ::bigsmile:
We only started M/Homing 2 years ago, and had same problem:cry:

An experienced M/Homer told us to get an EXTERNAL silver screen (preferably the genuine article, with a pull down bit for the daytime:RollEyes:), and it works a treat. NO condensation for us in the mornings now...job done.
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

An experienced M/Homer told us to get an EXTERNAL silver screen (preferably the genuine article, with a pull down bit for the daytime:RollEyes:), and it works a treat. NO condensation for us in the mornings now...job done.

Thanks for that. How do you get to it, to fit the screen? I would need at least a nine foot ladder. Do you use the roof ladder, and walk across the top?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

I think that's the answer to the main windscreen, not Dave's problem.

Thanks for that. How do you get to it, to fit the screen? I would need at least a nine foot ladder. Do you use the roof ladder, and walk across the top?
You would probably need to make (or have made) a bespoke external screen to fit the window. It could probably be fitted from the inside but would need something to keep it in place - maybe suckers like car windscreen frost covers or elastic fastened to both sides.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

i think theres cross wires here, moggs was talking about his windscreen i think.

however, you could try an experiment with extra thick or a few layers of bubble wrap and fit it from the inside ( open window, put insulation on outside of window , secure with some large elacy bands, close window, see what happens. or am i just being silly:Doh: it has been known :Eeek:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i think theres cross wires here, moggs was talking about his windscreen i think.

however, you could try an experiment with extra thick or a few layers of bubble wrap and fit it from the inside ( open window, put insulation on outside of window , secure with some large elacy bands, close window, see what happens. or am i just being silly:Doh: it has been known :Eeek:
Its a really stupid window, Phill, only accessible from the inside by lying on the luton, and its a fixed panel window, dosent open, however, the bubble wrap has given me an idea, making a fixed inside panel I can secure over it. Thanks again.

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
condensation

The only condensation I seem to be getting on cold mornings with the Hymer, is from the sloping front window over the luton. Seems a bit amateurish to just bung a towel there, and so has anyone developed a simple method to either stop the conden happening in the first place, or to catch said drips??
Ta. :thumb:
You may like to do as I have done, buy a dehumidifier; true, only works on hookup or genny (240v), failing that, one of those crystal filled damp traps, which will use up crystals as a consumable. Could get expensive! Unless you only use them when its cold outside. Silver screen option good if you suss out how to get up to fit and remove it. Can you live with it left on all day- but obviously not on the move. My dehumiddy was bought from ebay, its a dessicant type, and gives warm air out to boot, so offers heat. Bit too warm for late summer cool evenings sometimes...but stays 100% dry inside, however cold out.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I never thought I would be the one to solve this. You get a really good sponge and mop it up. In other words you just live with it.

I know, I know, I should be pitching on Dragon's Den.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.

We put ours on by using the small step we carry around with us...no problem.:thumb:
But ours is a Ducato 130 and is easily done....but an Hymer ?? err.. not sure. :Sad:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
As a first option you may like to try some radistor insulation - the silver sandwiched bubble wrap stuff. Not too expensive and easy to shape; plastic suckers to secure. You could double up the thickness to make more effective.

I actually use this to make sucure all my windows when stored; keeps prying eyes away and also protects expensive main screens from the sun.

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You may like to do as I have done, buy a dehumidifier; true, only works on hookup or genny (240v), failing that, one of those crystal filled damp traps, which will use up crystals as a consumable. Could get expensive! Unless you only use them when its cold outside. Silver screen option good if you suss out how to get up to fit and remove it. Can you live with it left on all day- but obviously not on the move. My dehumiddy was bought from ebay, its a dessicant type, and gives warm air out to boot, so offers heat. Bit too warm for late summer cool evenings sometimes...but stays 100% dry inside, however cold out.

Thought about a dehumid, but it would have to be fairly small.......In fact, can you give me the make and model of yours??? I like the warm air option. :thumb:

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
dehumidifiers?

Thought about a dehumid, but it would have to be fairly small.......In fact, can you give me the make and model of yours??? I like the warm air option. :thumb:

Tootles,, its very similar, but not identical to, this:-
Link Removed

Mine was £169 IIRC, and is dark grey metallic colour. It does indeed do the business. Sometimes, I think the air is too dry, but, if set at a lower setting,(60% RH) does not quite remove it all, 40% may do it- I will be trying that in the next 2 weeks- but I don't have it on during the day, so the air can be quite moisture laden by bedtime. The 'laundry' setting does what it says on the tin, just be aware of the water level in the tank (tho' they autostop when full). Not too noisy either; if you can tolerate a fan, this shouldn't cause a problem. I used it in the house also, and with just as much success. Good kit!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only really got two choices ::bigsmile: board over it or insulate it ::bigsmile: if nothings done then it will keep condestating up causing damp problems --try putting a few layers of bubble wrap on it -I simply stuck some thermo/celotex board on ours -did not let light in but stopped condensation -simply took it off come sale time :winky:
terry

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As a first option you may like to try some radistor insulation - the silver sandwiched bubble wrap stuff. Not too expensive and easy to shape; plastic suckers to secure. You could double up the thickness to make more effective.

I actually use this to make sucure all my windows when stored; keeps prying eyes away and also protects expensive main screens from the sun.
hats wat we used on our last van up in the lotion windows it worked a treat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back