Has anyone travelled highway 623 Santander to Burgos (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Has anyone travelled highway 623 Santander to Burgos
Can you tell me what the road is like? Do You recommend it? I have been down A67 and like to go a new route each time I travel to southern Spain. Also does anyone know any wild camp/ aires type camping sites in the area? Thanks Colin.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Can you tell me what the road is like? Do You recommend it? I have been down A67 and like to go a new route each time I travel to southern Spain. Also does anyone know any wild camp/ aires type camping sites in the area? Thanks Colin.

Sorry delay sending this. Typed it all and lost it all, so will try again.

We travelled to Santander via Burgos in August a couple of years ago. We were in a 4 x 4 with two very tired and fed up children in the back. I was navigating and turned around to pacify them and my husband took the 623 by mistake. The sheer cliff face in front of us should have given us a warning. It was a nightmare. Thick pea soup, then swirling clouds as we reached each summit. Never ending hair pin bends and we had to travel at a snails pace at times. As we descended each time it cleared and we entered beautiful picturesque villages. There is campsite signs, plenty of walkers, etc. Then we would climb up again into the fog. It was horrendous for me but think the adrenalin had kicked in for my husband. It took forever with eerily silence descending on the two crazy kids (from Dennis the menace comic). :cry:We finally dropped down to brilliant sunshine. The journey took forever and put 2 hours extra on our journey. We were later than we anticipated reaching the ferry. We boarded with extreme verbal earache from my other half. We endured a crossing from hell with the tail end of some hurricane on the Bay of Biscay just to finish me off:Eeek:

Just asked my husband if he would go that way in a motorhome and he said it was ok.:ROFLMAO: I would on a motorbike, but not in a motorhome:Eeek:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No

Hello Colin,

It is around a 2 hour drive from Santander, good roads, we like Burgos. A67 is a good road - do not remember any tolls. There is a good camp site (wifi iffy) 20 min walk to the centre of town along the river. There is also a 'car park' (24hrs) near/close to centre of town. Make sure you visit the 'old town', Catherdral, Mr and Mrs El Cid's burial place :Eeek: - their is a street of tapas bars off the main square - advise you have a half at each bar :ROFLMAO:

Markets near the bull ring Saturdays ( veg and food) Sunday (clothes etc)

See you in Morocco if not before :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Keep on the 627 and it is a brilliant road. Burgos is a delight. Beautiful roads all the way to Alicante if you are taking that route. Definitely recommend that route in a motorhome but personally think the 623 is not good. Although small lorries do deliver on that route 623. Sorry I should have said that. Also no tolls but you feel like you are on a toll road from Burgos. :Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed at a brilliant ACSI campsite at Castrojeriz, west of Burgos - worth going to if you have time. Interesting town on the Camino de Santiago de Compostella. The site owner is a real joker, but very hospitable, there is a little shop and a restaurant/bar with wifi, good food and booze. We stayed 2 nights, they offered trips to a falconry, and put our washing in the dryer for us when we went out for the day to walk round town and visit the castle. The countryside was very interesting - lots of brown plains, made me think it was Don Quixote country. When we left the signora gave us fresh fruit. Lovely place, would certainly go again! Closes 15/11 - 15/3

Catherine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back