Axle Stands (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
What do people think about putting the MH on axle stands for overwintering? There would no longer be any reason to rotate the wheels, the engine could be started and even put in gear if the axle stands were reasonably robust. (or breeze blocks etc.) just wish to know if this is a Good:Smile: or Bad idea?:Sad:

Dawn's other half (Mike)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
BAD! In order to keep a motorhome running sweet you need to USE IT and that means taking it out on the road. This will not only give the engine, gearbox, wheels, brakes etc a good 'workout' it will also work the suspension and other bits and pieces that would not be 'moved' if you just started it up on axle stands! :RollEyes:

From a safety point of view ... I would not start a MH whilst on them as the potential for the vibration from the engine to cause the axle stands to move and let the MH drop off them is just too risky!:whatthe:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If your motorhome is going to be laid up for a longish period without being able to move it then safely jacking it up onto axle stands is a good idea. It takes the weight off the wheels and tyres plus it makes it more difficult to steal. As for the "risk" of the stands moving due to vibration if you start the motor up it is a none risk, really it just doesn't happen. I've needed to run vehicles from time to time with the drive wheels off the ground and use axle stands to do so safely. trust me they will not move with 3 plus tonnes of motorhome sitting on top of them, as long as they are properly located of course. It would be better all round to drive the vehicle for about 20-30 miles once a fortnight or so but I recognise that this is not always feasible. Putting it on axle stands also means you can safely leave the handbrake off to prevent it siezing on.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
use the thing they are all year commodity such a wast to let it sit there there is lodes of thing to do and lots of places to go
just watch the weather forecast nothing beater than gating up in the morning and having a nice brisk walk on a frosty morning
and you will meat sum like minded motor homers
:thumb:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Not sure four wheels off the floor is a good idea, especially on four sticks. What will stop your vehicle rocking or worse when it's not in gear or the handbrake holding it? I question wether garages actually lift all four corners as well. One at a time or two to drive the traction wheels certainly but all four??? If you only lift two, why bother. And, who knows, you may need to move the MH quickly.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
just a word of caution here, using breeze blocks is not a good idea as you may just get the one with the internal fault line :Eeek:

the axle stands will have been tested to their max operating weight and beyond with a hydraulic press by the QC dept in the factory and the breeze blocks I don't think so ???????:Doh:

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not sure four wheels off the floor is a good idea, especially on four sticks. What will stop your vehicle rocking or worse when it's not in gear or the handbrake holding it? I question wether garages actually lift all four corners as well. One at a time or two to drive the traction wheels certainly but all four??? If you only lift two, why bother. And, who knows, you may need to move the MH quickly.

I quite frequently have a motorhome on my lift with all wheels removed, front end on axle stands rear on the jacking beam, if its a tandem axle then a second set of stands at the rear for safety and its really safe and secure. The stands have a wider footprint than the rubber tyres and they're made of steel so they're going nowhere. Why would the vehicle rock?

D.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
placing on axle stands will afford a minumum of 12 relatively widely spaced contact points with the ground....how are 12 contact points going to move....it would take a damned sight more than a little engine vibration or body roll to topple it.

of course....if you park on a slope then that changes things.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

how about all four off on two sticks ?

not a lot safer than axle stands...just a different shape

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I quite frequently have a motorhome on my lift with all wheels removed, front end on axle stands rear on the jacking beam, if its a tandem axle then a second set of stands at the rear for safety and its really safe and secure. The stands have a wider footprint than the rubber tyres and they're made of steel so they're going nowhere. Why would the vehicle rock?

D.

Not quite four axle stands then. I don't imagine the OP was thinking of using a jacking beam

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Not quite four axle stands then. I don't imagine the OP was thinking of using a jacking beam

Read the bit of my post you quoted again, I did say that I do use four axle stands, admittedly mainly when removeing all the wheels from a tandem axled motorhome but so what, its still more solid and stable than when its on its own tyres. Four axle stands, especially when placed under the chassis rather than sprung parts and the vehicle is rock solid, not going anywhere, safe as houses because there is nothing between chassis/body and the ground that has any give in it.

Why be so argumentative anyway?

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Probably not much better than axle stands on a Tarmac drive, which is the scenario that worries me.

Who said its a tarmac drive? Could be concrete, block paviours or anything. Could be level could be 20 degrees off, we don't know which is why I made the comment about "SAFELY" jacking the vehicle up onto stands.

D.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
It's a level concrete drive, closed in, so very little wind.

The axle stands I was going to use are these:-

Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It's a level concrete drive, closed in, so very little wind.

The axle stands I was going to use are these:-

Link Removed

That's fine Dawn, those stands are a bit of overkill to be fair. Down the right hand side of that page are some four ton jobs with ratchet adjustment which would be more than man enough. Just be sure that you jack it up in a safe manner please.

D.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Read the bit of my post you quoted again, I did say that I do use four axle stands, admittedly mainly when removeing all the wheels from a tandem axled motorhome but so what, its still more solid and stable than when its on its own tyres. Four axle stands, especially when placed under the chassis rather than sprung parts and the vehicle is rock solid, not going anywhere, safe as houses because there is nothing between chassis/body and the ground that has any give in it.

Why be so argumentative anyway?

D.
Not trying to be argumentative Dave just attempting to point out to non professionals the operations you take for granted, like propping the frame and not the suspension.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Who said its a tarmac drive? Could be concrete, block paviours or anything. Could be level could be 20 degrees off, we don't know which is why I made the comment about "SAFELY" jacking the vehicle up onto stands.

D.
Now I'm getting a complex. The question was resolved by raising it as an issue. That was all I was aiming at.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Not trying to be argumentative Dave just attempting to point out to non professionals the operations you take for granted, like propping the frame and not the suspension.

Do I take it then, that I don't fit the axle stands under the axle by the wheels?

PS Thanks to all for the trouble you are going to, to answer my question.:Smile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Put the front stands under the cross member between the wheels, you will need a high lifting jack to do this. At the rear its probably easiest and safest to put them under the axle.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back