Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
We're looking to get a motorhome based on a 3 litre multi jet engine and 6 spd gearbox. I have had a look around and can't find anything obvious to look out for unique to this engine and gearbox.
Anything anyone can assist with? :Smile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fist 3l multimeter

Not sure about motorhomes "based on" this engine, but many if not all brands offering the 2.3l 6 speed as standard, also offer the 3l as an option. Our friends recently bought a 2010 IH TIO RL with 3l engine and 6 speed box.

If you're looking to buy new you can specify that, if not, just look at what the dealers are offering, and I'm sure you'll find plenty. Happy hunting::bigsmile:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello

Over the last 10 years we have had Ducato 2.8 JTD Maxi work vans and have just ordered a new van with the 3 litre specs.

Before ordering I asked around on a FIAT forum and a couple of owners said they wouldn't have anything else, I believe they were both courier boys as they quoted very high milages per year.
Not as economical as the 2.3 but driven less hard as there is so much torque and power.

That's my two penneth, hope it helps a little

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
only comment i have is relative to the increase in weight of the 3ltr engine and box over a 2.3ltr. i looked a upgrading when i bought ours from 2.3ltr to 3 ltr, apart from the extra cost the increase in weight over the 2.3 was such that the payload was reduced by 50kgs overall.:Eeek: which i was shocked at, but thats what the manufacturers blurb said,

so dependent on what chassis it is watch the payload:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Autocruise did quite a few, we have one and wouldn't go back to a 2.3l I find the engine pulls very well and very rarely do I have to change gear for hills. Coupled with cruise control it is one of the best I've driven, and very good on fuel as the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
We're looking to get a motorhome based on a 3 litre multi jet engine and 6 spd gearbox. I have had a look around and can't find anything obvious to look out for unique to this engine and gearbox.

THis has a 3 litre Fiat and loads of goodies if your looking for new

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/brand-new-swift-kon-tiki-669-lo-line.html

Peter

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just one there are a lot of dethleffs and hymer out there we looked about 6 whats budget are you looking at?
Jim

Hi

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fiat 3l

Have Fiat sorted out the perennial juddering when reversing up an incline? :whatthe:

We had a Fiat 2.3l 6 speed in our 2008 Allegro 96. Despite the numerous stories of uphill reverse gear judder we never experienced it. Mind you, the only time I had to reverse uphill was the very occasional need to back onto the ramps. Guess we were not typical motorhome drivers:ROFLMAO:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have the 3 litre engine in my Geist Silver Spirit 700g and I am chuffed with it. The van is heavier than many vans and the 3 litre pulls it brilliantly. I have compared notes with many owners who have the 2.3 litre and the difference in fuel consumption is so small it isn't worth discussing.

If you drive both engines quite hard the 3.0 actually becomes the more economical of the two.

Best of luck in your search and whilst mine isn't up for sale yet I'd let it go for the right offer, pm me if you're interested.

Griff
:thumb:

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Peter.. Thanks but we just can't afford that beauty..

Re the weight.. It will almost certainly be on a 4 ton plated chassis anyway so should be fine.
Re the gearbox.. I was under the impression the gearbox probs were with the 5 spd gearbox..
We were looking for a merc.. But I have to admit that this Fiat engine and gearbox is very attractive.. Difficult to find too many bad things said about it.. (assuming my theory on the 5 spd gearbox was correct)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Peter.. Thanks but we just can't afford that beauty..

Re the weight.. It will almost certainly be on a 4 ton plated chassis anyway so should be fine.
Re the gearbox.. I was under the impression the gearbox probs were with the 5 spd gearbox..
We were looking for a merc.. But I have to admit that this Fiat engine and gearbox is very attractive.. Difficult to find too many bad things said about it.. (assuming my theory on the 5 spd gearbox was correct)

Well my 2007 X 250 did its share of juddering. Always drove up my ramps. Shook like hell in reverse unless you slipped the clutch. Very expensive changing clutch on these vehicles as dual mass flywheel needs changing at the same time BUSBY:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well my 2007 X 250 did its share of juddering. Always drove up my ramps. Shook like hell in reverse unless you slipped the clutch. Very expensive changing clutch on these vehicles as dual mass flywheel needs changing at the same time BUSBY:thumb:

Forgot.. mine was a 6 speed. Busby:Smile:

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Bessecar or Chausson.. Both with the 3 litre engine..(probably going to be the chausson)
So the engines great.. But watch the gearbox.. Esp reverse..

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi

You need to look up clutch judder and DMF problems. There has been lots of threads on most motorhome forums.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

What year is it?

We had had the 3 litre 160 bhp and now have the 180 bhp - the first went like the clappers and the 180 version cannot be out done by much on long motorway hills

Russell

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

we own a chausson 96 had it coming up 5rys now comformatic 3lt would i swop it only 4 another 1/twin electric bed, suits us , very raaely used solo. pull 6.4 trailer or car:Doh:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
We have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Bessecar or Chausson.. Both with the 3 litre engine..(probably going to be the chausson)
I thought this judder gate had died I have the Bessacarr on a 3lt 6 speed no judder tried ever thin to bring it on nothing fantastic engine plenty of grunt

Bill

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3lFiat

Before you finalise your choice, here is our take on Chausson. We bought ours brand new at the NEC in 2008. It was their (then) top model low profile, a 7.3m Allegro 96, with twin electric single beds, a great rear bathroom and a decent kitchen and lounge. Prior to that we'd had a new Dethleffs.

Couldn't fault the Chausson for comfort, luxury fittings, design, economy and even overall value for money, but the build quality was not comparable to the Dethleffs and even less so to our current (and older) Hymer. The panels were flimsy, the hinges screwed in using too short screws driven into composite. The plumbing was poorly put together, with pipes from the bathroom popping apart under the settee (push fit joints).

Things may well have improved since then and certainly they no longer make the Allegro (pity as the design and layout was right on the money) and it is probably also true that we were blinded to the faults by the apparent luxury and high equipment levels. But given a choice again, I would always opt for the quality build. I've never had a Bessecar, but by repute they are well put together and also a luxury van; by comparison, the Chausson we had was fur coat and no knickers.....French!of course!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
sdc77

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Fur coat and no nickers.. Love it :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for that hat. Bessecar E495 is one we have looked at and it's very very nice.. And big
The chausson is a tad shorter with a (fur coat) tow hook cruise aircon reverse camera etc..
They both have the 3 litre engine tho... Which sounds a good choice

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Fur coat and no nickers.. Love it :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for that hat. Bessecar E495 is one we have looked at and it's very very nice.. And big
The chausson is a tad shorter with a (fur coat) tow hook cruise aircon reverse camera etc..
They both have the 3 litre engine tho... Which sounds a good choice

Thought Bessacar were made by SWIFT. Had a 2003 Swift caravan which was no problem , but SWIFT tend to get bad press on this site. BUSBY:Smile:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Thought Bessacar were made by SWIFT. Had a 2003 Swift caravan which was no problem , but SWIFT tend to get bad press on this site. BUSBY:Smile:
I'm on my 2nd Bessacarr and would not go past them for build quality My thoughts are if say you sell 200 swifts and then say 10 other makes odds are there are going to be more complaints against Swift . Please don't quote me on this I read that Swift have the highest sell rate of motorhomes in the uk that would tell me that you will get more complaints specially on a forum. It's my opinion that on forums you will always get bad points not the good points of any manufacturer

Bill

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
sdc77

Not sure what year you are looking at but I believe the engine had a major change in 2011, went from Euro4 to Euro 5 specs at about that date and FIAT say better fuel consuption.

maurice343

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:thumb:3litres is the way to go! never change gear once cruising on continental m-ways unless some ass decides to slow down in front. \effortless motoring and even manage to get 30/gallon if we don't want to rush around trying to fit every bit of itinerary in. Averages 27-28 cruising with 400kg payload.:Smile:

mfh27748

Free Member
Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
Have got an auto-trail apache with one of the first comfortmatic gearboxes luv it to bits

had it remapped in 2012(why did I wait so long) now get just over 30mpg,have ordered

new 3litre for next year.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Autocruise did quite a few, we have one and wouldn't go back to a 2.3l I find the engine pulls very well and very rarely do I have to change gear for hills. Coupled with cruise control it is one of the best I've driven, and very good on fuel as the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

Could you be more specific re fuel consumption please?
MPG
Measured or from onboard computer
weight of van & type eg overcab or low profile.
Thanks

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

why/who wears nickers/underpants - hang loose and drip,u pick what suits u:ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Quote:
Could you be more specific re fuel consumption please? 32 MPG
MPG Measured or from onboard computer Both, not much difference

weight of van & type eg overcab or low profile. 3700 kg, picture of MH below,

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Quote:
Could you be more specific re fuel consumption please? 32 MPG
MPG Measured or from onboard computer Both, not much difference

weight of van & type eg overcab or low profile. 3700 kg, picture of MH below,

Thanks for that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries