Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi,
We are John and Jan a recently retired couple and have caravanned in the UK for the last 20 years. We bought a motorhome last year and are thoroughly enjoying it. (more than the caravan):winky:
We are thinking of a trip to Portugal for a bit of winter sun. Probably thinking of end of January/ beginning of February for 3 weeks.
I know this is a popular destination for a lot of motorhomers so wonder if anybody has any advice. Any areas to avoid, some must see places etc.

I would really appreciate any advice

Regards
John ::bigsmile:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Hi,
We are John and Jan a recently retired couple and have caravanned in the UK for the last 20 years. We bought a motorhome last year and are thoroughly enjoying it. (more than the caravan):winky:
We are thinking of a trip to Portugal for a bit of winter sun. Probably thinking of end of January/ beginning of February for 3 weeks.
I know this is a popular destination for a lot of motorhomers so wonder if anybody has any advice. Any areas to avoid, some must see places etc.

Regards

Hello John and Jan

I posted a similar question a week or so ago and only got one reply and that was a jokey one! I hope your question gets more responses and if you don't mind I will eavesdrop:thumb:

If not, we will look out for you on the road!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I replied to your earlier post but here is some info on places we found useful but of course it depends which route you choose. All the following are in the Spain/Portugal aires book and I am sure will cause you no cause for concern.

Spain:- Caberceno, Palencia, and a camp site that is open all year near Salamanca is Don Quiote camping

Portugal :- Almeida (do not judge it by the picture in the book as it is brilliant), Belmonte, Fatima (Huge church where someone had a vision, if Imaginary friends are your thing),
Batahla, Lousal, Parque da Gale and Manta Rota (the latter two in the Algarve)

None of the above will disappoint you but most had no electric hook up and I do not know how well solar panels will work at the time of the year that you are planning so a generator may be needed. Remember there are very few campsites that will be open do check first

Hey these are only suggestions by all means meander and suit yourselves.

Just Enjoy

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
what about pedro's alan is it still running ?

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

I am sure it is but twice when we passed there was only one van on and on Monday mid morning when we came past the gates were locked.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi,

Regards

John it depends what you want...campsite...aires...or wild camping....there a lots of Barragens you can camp on...But for your first visit go to the Algarve and get this book to help you... the book from vicarious books called..All the Aires Spain and Portugal 2nd edition..I think there is a 3rd edition coming out https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-Spain-and-Portugal-9780956678126.html... also on campingcarinfos on the internet http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm .in Portugal.....and then explore...mid or northern Portugal on route there or back home ....it won't take you long the get sorted you will meet other Brits who may tell you of other sites to camp...and don't forget Jim motorhome fun has a rally down on the Algarve.in February..that may be fun for a few days or a week..:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Bill I telephoned Pedro about two weeks ago and asked why his place was padlocked....Pedro said " Padlocked Mel...NO.. it is not padlocked Mel....I said yes it is..Pedro said ..I will come down and unlock it for you Mel....!!!:Eeek: :Doh:

Last edited:

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
hi john and jan

we too are just retired and leaving for spain/portugal on the 17/02/2014,
going from Portsmouth to St Malo, this will be our first adventure into Spain/Portugal and would love some good advice. Hope to go via Pamplona,Zaragoza,Valencia then along the coast to Portugal, luckily we have no time limit. except FrancE / Germany might call us back :Smile::Smile:

larry

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Bill I telephoned Pedro about two weeks ago and asked why his place was padlocked....Pedro said " Padlocked Mel...NO.. it is not padlocked Mel....I said yes it is..Pedro said ..I will come down and unlock it for you Mel....!!!:Eeek: :Doh:

Thanks for that Mel....any chance of having Pedro's phone number?

Thank you all for some very helpful comments. Nice to be in touch with such friendly people. :thumb:
John

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
hi john and jan

going from Portsmouth to St Malo, this will be our first adventure into Spain/Portugal and would love some good advice. Hope to go via Pamplona,Zaragoza,Valencia then along the coast to Portugal, luckily we have no time limit. except FrancE / Germany might call us back :Smile::Smile:

larry

We might see you down there Larry :winky:
John

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp

ok mel i will try him on facebook

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
his facebook account is deleted ?

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
hi john and jan

larry
don't forget yourAires book
Souix:winky:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
did Portugal in april/may this year - my blog is on here.
Found lots of free places to park overnight,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back