Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi,
We are John and Jan a recently retired couple and have caravanned in the UK for the last 20 years. We bought a motorhome last year and are thoroughly enjoying it. (more than the caravan) :winky:
We are thinking of a trip to Portugal for a bit of winter sun. Probably thinking of end of January/ beginning of February for 3 weeks.
I know this is a popular destination for a lot of motorhomers so wonder if anybody has any advice. Any areas to avoid, some must see places, recommended sites etc.

I would really appreciate any advice

John

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,

Discovered your post while searching for new places to visit in Portugal! :Smile:

If you do not mind car park type aires we stayed at Alvor earlier this year, although not the most scenic parking on a sandy car park for €4 a night you were a minute from a gorgeous sandy beach in one direction, an estuary lined with restaurants in another and the old town a couple of minutes up hill. We stayed about 6 nights and had a great time here.

Lagos is also worth a visit for the old town and Ferraguda is a lovely old fishing village although popular so the restaurants can be very expensive.

Hope that helps ::bigsmile:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,

If you do not mind car park type aires we stayed at Alvor earlier this year, although not the most scenic parking on a sandy car park for €4 a night you were a minute from a gorgeous sandy beach in one direction, an estuary lined with restaurants in another and the old town a couple of minutes up hill.
Hope that helps ::bigsmile:

Agreed, Alvor is a great, economic, stopover in a lovely town. If you do not fancy the "aire" there are a couple of camp sites nearby, including one run by a member of this forum (sorry, forget who it is)
Lagos also good stop with official aire outside football stadium.
Villa Real de Santa Antonio also has an "Aire", pretty basic facilities but on the riverside a short walk from lovely town.
All the recommendations so far are for Algarve stops and of course Portugal is so much more than the Algarve and others will be along soon with other great locations.

Good choice, regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Portugal

We stayed at Ria Formosa in Cabanas. About a kilometer from the sea and near shops/bars/restaurants.
The railway station is only a couple of hundred meters away and this gives easy access to the towns along the Algarve to Faro.
Large site with good size pitches, clean toilets/showers.

Tavira is only about 10 minutes away on the train, Faro about 40 minutes. (concession for over 60 years old - take your passport)

Then we stayed at the chickenrun near Alvor and hired their little car for 10E/day and Andy/Leslie will advise which areas to visit, free parking etc.

From here Lagos (Nice town and with a campsite near by), Alvor (Sand cliffs) and Farraguda (the developers have not got there as yet) are not far away.

If you like aires get the Spanish and Portugal aire book from https://www.vicarious-shop.com/

If you are still there or about a meet is being arranged for Albuferia in February. Come along and say hello.

Hope this helps :thumb::thumb:

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
Algarve - Albufeira

Hi,
We are John and Jan a recently retired couple and have caravanned in the UK for the last 20 years. We bought a motorhome last year and are thoroughly enjoying it. (more than the caravan) :winky:
We are thinking of a trip to Portugal for a bit of winter sun. Probably thinking of end of January/ beginning of February for 3 weeks.
I know this is a popular destination for a lot of motorhomers so wonder if anybody has any advice. Any areas to avoid, some must see places, recommended sites etc.

I would really appreciate any advice

John

Hello John

I´m Pedro(Big Pedro) as most of funsters call me, me and my wife Mireille run a special site, very smal but full of nice activeteis, is the very good for relax, to have fun, enjoy the sun and fill at home.....

So if wen you come to Portugal and pass here in Albufeira, please come to visit us, it will be a pleasur to know you and have a drink with you...

http://motorhomefriends.com

even if you don´t stay us, please pass here, we always have some funsters here, it's always nice to meet new friends.

Pedro & Mireille

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Pedro some people back home must be looking on Google Earth and see a low bridge that they believe is the only way in to your nice new aire. Is there another way in or how high is the bridge

Thanks Alan (Laneside)

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
Pedro some people back home must be looking on Google Earth and see a low bridge that they believe is the only way in to your nice new aire. Is there another way in or how high is the bridge

Thanks Alan (Laneside)

Hi Alan

Hope you don't mind me butting in! I know the answer to this one!

I've heard from a Funster, who is already settled in at Pedro's. He too was concerned about that bridge but he says it's far higher than it looks on Google Earth and assures us there is plenty clearance for MHs.

He also says that the site is lovely and lots of thought and work has been put in by Pedro, Mireille and their good friends to make everything perfect for us Funsters. Knowing Pedro and Mireille, that doesn't surprise me. As you know, they're a lovely couple and nothing is too much trouble for them.

They also have some weekly activities on site, which you can join in or not, as you wish, such as Boules (lots of fun and banter between the nations lol!) and their renowned BBQ!

We hope to get down there in a couple of weeks and can't wait! Hope we'll be able to catch up with you, Lynda and Lilly Potter! :thumb:
Anna

Last edited:

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
low bridge

:thumb:

Thanks Alan (Laneside)

Hi Alan,

Yes it have a bridge or i ken say littel tunnel, but under that bridge/tunnel ken pass a big TIR trucks:Smile:
and yes it is the only way to reach us, but funsters, every one ken pass there, if it looks small isent it.....:thumb:

The big (and was a very big ) truck that bringed all what was need for make the site, passed there it out problems....

I have allready friends/guests in the site, that they wore thinking like you, but they see, that was like it not existed,i ken tell you, that 2 motorhomes ken cross insside the bridge/tunnel

so Alam if you came to Albufeira, please come and visit us, we will have a glass of wine, and you confir that my words are true....::bigsmile:

See you soon
Pedro & Mireille

Nov 1, 2011
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
since August 2012
I am the Funster Anna and Pedro mention in their posts and yes, I can confirm there is no problem at all with the tunnel. My Pilote is 3 metres high and passed through with at least another metre to spare, probably more.

Pedro's new site is great. Take a look at my blog at pilotesprogress.com for some pics taken in the last couple of days.

Ifor

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
the bridg

Thanks Alan (Laneside)

this is the bridg you see in google ehart.,..:Cool:

big trucks ken pass here...:thumb:

see you soon´

pedro

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 29

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun