LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as often recommended for use with motorhome tyres, the Maplin 140psi compressor is currently on offer at £15
Link Removed i know of several people who swear by these pumps so thought i would share the offer

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
compressor

as often recommended for use with motorhome tyres, the Maplin 140psi compressor is currently on offer at £15
Link Removed

i know of several people who swear by these pumps so thought i would share the offer

Ive got one its good but had to buy extension lead from roadpro to reach back wheels :thumb:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Just what I am after - my old 'Aldi Special' decided to pump up and then burst into smoke,,,,,, :whatthe: it was hideous, looked like the whole bloody van was on fire.

My bottom started 'twitching' ever so slightly and I darted for the plug - quite funny in hindsight though. It was a really good compressor for a few years just decided to catch fire. I felt conned though, it cost me £6.00 from Aldi, pumped up loads of tyres, lasted several years and then caught fire.:roflmto:

thanks for the link TheBig1:thumb:

Trikeman.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ive got one its good but had to buy extension lead from roadpro to reach back wheels :thumb:

one problem i found when extending the hose......

i had to extend mine to 8mtrs and the problem was lack of usable pressure.

there doesnt appear to be a one way valve in the actual compressor so with such a long hose the volume of air within the hose was greater than the volume displaced. by the piston.

this resulted in the air in the hose being compressed but the volume was insufficient to push air into the tyre.
as there is no none-return valve the air simply moved back and forth returning to the compressors cylinder.

this was when using pressures exceeding 80psi.....lower pressures didnt suffer so badly.

i have since fitted a none-return valve and pressures of at least 115psi are no problem if somewhat slow

Last edited:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Compressor

one problem i found when extending the hose......

i had to extend mine to 8mtrs and the problem was lack of usable pressure.

there doesnt appear to be a one way valve in the actual compressor so with such a long hose the volume of air within the hose was greater than the volume displaced. by the piston.

this resulted in the air in the hose being compressed but the volume was insufficient to push air into the tyre.
as there is no none-return valve the air simply moved back and forth returning to the compressors cylinder.

this was when using pressures exceeding 80psi.....lower pressures didnt suffer so badly.

i have since fitted a none-return valve and pressures of at least 115psi are no problem if somewhat slow

Hello pappajohn I bought the 12v extension not the hose extension :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hello pappajohn I bought the 12v extension not the hose extension :thumb:

i realised that after reading your post a second time Mike. :Doh:

i did try that route before the hose but because of the high current draw the volt drop was too much and the compressor could barely turn over approaching 70/80psi

the compressor has now been relegated to charging a 24ltr receiver tank to 115psi to run airhorns.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
If I'm doing the rear tyres on the van, I run ours from the car or from a spare battery.

Either way, I'll be lying down behind a nearby hedge with a couple of the kids' teddies over my ears, having been standing beside a tyre recently when it let go at 95psi :Eeek:

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my local tyre fitter recons that tyres at that pressure are more like bombs and a serious risk to health. not something i want to experience personally

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I have one of these but when it is screwed onto the valve the pressure just rockets to 100-120 within a couple of seconds, as though none of the air is going into the tyre. Is this the non return valve as I was going to take it back.

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
my bus still has the third air tank (other 2 for brakes/handbrake) which was orig for the air operated doors which is now fitted with a PCL airline fitting so I have a 6L 130bhp derv power tyre inflater bit ott :Eeek:

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have one of these and it's as good as useless now (had it just over a year when it failed). Great when it worked although slow, but I wouldn't buy another.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I use one of the all in one types, jump starter, compressor and light. Even has a 150w inverter. very handy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back