Dog owners beware (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
PLEASE KEEP SHARING!!! Absolutely discussed with the caravan and camping club! Spent two days at Sandringham caravan site, no signs and no warnings. We walked ...our dogs only on the site, had to rush two very very sick dogs home this morning both have caught seasonal canine virus. One has had to be put to sleep and one is still very poorly. Rang the campsite to inform them and was then told 'oh yes we have a problem with that at the moment'. I advised them would it not be a good idea to let other people know of this as there were many other dogs at the campsite when we left she replied with 'ermmmm'. Have phoned there head office and was told I'd be called back in 10 minutes and that was 6 hours about. Sweet family. PLEASE SHARE, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THIS BEFORE ANOTHER DOG SUFFERS
Copied from Facebook

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I am so very sorry to hear about your doggies and feel you have every right to be disgusted and furious with the Sandringham site. I have just been looking up some information about this problem and came across this. They are asking people to fill in a questionnaire if you have visited certain areas including Sandringham estate.

http://www.aht.org.uk/sci

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I am so very sorry to hear about your doggies and feel you have every right to be disgusted and furious with the Sandringham site. I have just been looking up some information about this problem and came across this. They are asking people to fill in a questionnaire if you have visited certain areas including Sandringham estate.

http://www.aht.org.uk/sci
This was copied from a facebook share. So not my dogs fortunately but still awful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
There has been a problem with dreadful, often fatal, illness that affects dogs in that area of North Norfolk for ages now - it has been in the news on a few occasions. It seems to fairly local to the Sandringham estate area and adjoining countryside walks and does not go up as far as Holt, Cromer etc.

It is very worrying though. And a disgrace that the CC couldn't be bothered to ensure people were adequately warned. I guess a combination of greed ( don't want cancelled visits to the CC site) and apathy / general incompetence / couldn't care less ( lots of those attitudes about! )

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We visited for a couple of nights in September and there were signs on gates leading to dog walking areas, not huge, A4 size.
Ignore just reread, it was the cc &c site next door that we were on but it seemed to share a doggy walk.

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Thank you so much for the heads up on this, was thinking of going with our three dogs, that is criminal in my book of the CC&C very irresponsible, at that rate they will lose members. So sorry for the owners of the dogs mentioned, it is bad enough losing a family pet, but this way is much worse, when it could have been avoided. They are obviously not the "friendly club there "

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I was confused. It was the Caravanning and Camping club site that we WERE on and there was definitely signs up at entrance to dog walks.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I hope the person whose dogs suffered such tragedy goes straight to the papers and sues the site.

Sorry but in my personal opinion they have a duty to their customers and if they charge for dogs that includes the dogs too

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
On the Caravan Club forum someone stated that there is a warning on the Caravan Club booking form for the Sandringham site. They chose to ignore it and their dogs got sick.

There's a link on the Sandringham site info page:
Broken Link Removed

Scroll down for the review on 28/9/13 . That's where someone says that Seasonal Canine Illness it's mentioned on the booking form.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
On the Caravan Club forum someone stated that there is a warning on the Caravan Club booking form for the Sandringham site. They chose to ignore it and their dogs got sick.

There's a link on the Sandringham site info page:
Broken Link Removed

[HI]
Scroll down for the review on 28/9/13 . That's where someone says that Seasonal Canine Illness it's mentioned on the booking form.

What as an optional extra?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Unfortunately this mystery illness is not new or just restricted to that one site at Sandringham:Doh:
Its here too, every year at this time in most of the Sherwood Forest areas warning go up all over the wooded areas asking you to keep dogs on a lead and away from overgrown areas
Link to other ares effected and survey too
G
Ps read the updates on that page too, possible prevention is described

Last edited:

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Really helpful post - thank you!

I wasn't aware of this illness until now. How dreadful to lose a dog in such circumstances.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We walk ours there all the time.
We have nevermet ANYONE from our locality who has ever had a poorly dog as aresult of walking round Sandringham Estate.
It only ever seems to affect dogs from out of the area. No immunity to local bugs perhaps?

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
took one of my dogs for his booster on monday and there was a dog who was just about to start treatment from the vet and they were staying at sandringham. According to the vets some welfare organisation is researching it but it does seem to only affect out of town dogs, we have taken our dogs there once but tend not to, no point in riskingh it.

The vet reccommeds lost of hydration and take the dog to the vets asap, as the earlier they get to them the better the chances.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The Animal Health Trust in Newmarket are researching it - I remember a lot of dogs dying in around 2010, when it first appeared- I was working in N Norfolk at the time and worried stiff about our elderly Border Collie. The CC site at Sandringham is usually fully booked when they open bookings for the year, but I won't be going there anytime soon as the dogs are just too precious to us to risk it. There is apparently no treatment, as they don't even know what causes it, and apparently it may happen at any woodland, althugh it seems to be Norfolk, Suffolk and Nottinghamshire primarily affected. Its scary when one has no idea what causes these things. :Eeek:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
camp sites and dogs

myself and sue go on campsites that dogs and animals are not allowed that way we are assured of being able to go out for walks without treading in dog babber and walking back into our motorhome with nothing but mud on our shoes if that. the other day we was walking round our local park and unbeknown to me I must have walked in some dog babber needless to say it stunk after driving for a while with the heat on if human beings did that there would be an out cry . im sorry about your dogs but the same thing happens to human beings they are only dogs after all and if youd have kept them on your own property this wouldn't have happened when I see dogs walking round our parks it makes me cringe. steve

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Not wishing to get into a spat here but stevensson10 your attitude is a little too harsh! Maybe you'd also like farmers to keep their livestock and any horses locked in pens just in case you dirty your shiny shoes while your nose in in the air? I'm amazed that you enjoy walks in the country with your small minded and self centred attitude and hope I never have the misfortune of being pitched on a site near you......and just for the record like the vast majority of dog owners I do poop and scoop!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
myself and sue go on campsites that dogs and animals are not allowed that way we are assured of being able to go out for walks without treading in dog babber and walking back into our motorhome with nothing but mud on our shoes if that. the other day we was walking round our local park and unbeknown to me I must have walked in some dog babber needless to say it stunk after driving for a while with the heat on if human beings did that there would be an out cry . im sorry about your dogs but the same thing happens to human beings they are only dogs after all and if youd have kept them on your own property this wouldn't have happened when I see dogs walking round our parks it makes me cringe. steve

here we go again :RollEyes:

An Innocent post warning us dog loving people about the dangers of taking your dog to a specific place, and your worried about dog shit on your shoes :RollEyes:

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
My heartfelt commiserations dawn B on the loss of your dog, I hope the other one pulls through. I pulled out of a trip to the CC site at Sandringham last year as I'd heard of this issue and am sorry you didn't have the same opportunity.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Completely inappropriate comment Steve, wrong thread and inconsiderate.

Thanks for posting the warning Dawn

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yet again a self confessed dog hater posts rubbish that dogs shouldn't be allowed anywhere they go

to be honest I would have to question whether such a pathological hatred and small minded attitude would lead to such a person putting down poison on dog walks. Its happened before and whats to say its not somebody like the poster here killing dogs on the sandringham estate?

i hope you dont go for your walks anywhere near normal folk and that the appropriate muzzle is in place?:ROFLMAO:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Personally, I think your post shows you up for the nasty person you must be...:Eeek: you deserve a lot worse than dog shit on your horrible shoes.......:Eeek: I can't stand people who show such indifference to animals and anyone other than themselves! Hope we never meet as I can't bear those who have no regard for dogs and other animals! :Eeek:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

how very christian of you:Doh:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
yet again a self confessed dog hater posts rubbish that dogs shouldn't be allowed anywhere they go

to be honest I would have to question whether such a pathological hatred and small minded attitude would lead to such a person putting down poison on dog walks. Its happened before and whats to say its not somebody like the poster here killing dogs on the sandringham estate?

i hope you dont go for your walks anywhere near normal folk and that the appropriate muzzle is in place?:ROFLMAO:

Very well said, TheBig1 :thumb: it is indeed pathological and there are sadly like-minded bigoted characters to the nasty little poster out there who enjoy the idea of killing people's beloved pets because they hate dogs or cats so much. Like most responsible dog owners, I have never once left dog mess behind after going out on a walk with my dog. :Eeek:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
they are only dogs after all and if youd have kept them on your own property this wouldn't have happened when I see dogs walking round our parks it makes me cringe. steve

No they are not "only dogs" to those who care about them very much. They are a lot more important and a lot better than you, that is for sure! :Eeek:

People like you walking round our parks makes me cringe. Why don't you just stay away in your own hateful place then? Leave the parks, dogs and countryside full of filthy animals causing your horrid shoes to be smeared with doodoo alone.........in fact, please stay as far away from animal lovers as you can, as you will certainly not be welcome anywhere near my beloved dogs, most motorhomers are countryside and animal lovers, perhaps you need a different pasttime. .

And why troll a Pets thread if you hate dogs so much, just to make pathetic, inappropriate remarks about an issue which is not relevant to you at all except for you to cause distress to others? That is malevolent, and nothing more than trolling!

Last edited:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
There he goes again spouting shite about things. Instead of banning him for 7 days can he not be banned permanently.

Jim - If you need to ban me for 7 days for my comments, then please do so will gladly jump on the grenade for everybody if you bin him off.

Jeff

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
My heartfelt commiserations dawn B on the loss of your dog, I hope the other one pulls through. I pulled out of a trip to the CC site at Sandringham last year as I'd heard of this issue and am sorry you didn't have the same opportunity.
Thanks but it wasn't my dog. I copied the post from Facebook

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Our local path used for dog walking was covered in dog doos & bags yesterday but it wasn't the dogs or owners to blame, some human b's decided it would be fun to blow dog bins apart with fireworks. :Angry:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Steve
You should look where you are going not with your nose in the air.:Angry:
I cannot abide pps like you shows what you are really like, dog owners are caring and helpful folk, hope I never meet you. I have never caught anything off a dog, plenty off humans.

I also cannot abide dog owners that do not pick up, no excuse and gives all dog owners a bad name, giving ammunition to the likes of Steve.

You are on the wrong forum Steve, this is a fun ,caring and a helpful forum, everything that you are not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back