LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
any body else hear the warnings about driving to Spain on lacal radio stations yeasterday?

It must have been on aboput 6 times, telling people to be carfull driving into Spain becasue of the "flag you down robberies" and "fuel staiton distraction robbieries"

I reconised the voices of the actors used, but forgot them now:Doh:

glad Im still working now and cant go:cry:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
This has been going on for years, it was the same here years ago, so a friend of a friend told me. :winky: His friend was related to Dick Turpin :ROFLMAO:

You will be telling us, that you get gassed when your asleep next. :Doh:

Any way it would be awful if everyone went to Spain over winter, its full to bursting already ! :roflmto: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
any body else hear the warnings about driving to Spain on lacal radio stations yeasterday?

It must have been on aboput 6 times, telling people to be carfull driving into Spain becasue of the "flag you down robberies" and "fuel staiton distraction robbieries"

[HI]What local radio?[/HI] - I live in Spain and have heard nothing and there is nothing on the Ex Pat web sites. Spoke to local policeman this morning in village here and he states they have had no reports....... If people use common sense ( many do not!!!!! ) then Spain is no different to any other place in EU...........

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Your surrounded by bandits John, I don't know how you can live there.:roflmto:

Roll on the 24th, and we are on our way, maybe have a bandit hunting rally. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
[HI]What local radio?[/HI] - I live in Spain and have heard nothing and there is nothing on the Ex Pat web sites. Spoke to local policeman this morning in village here and he states they have had no reports....... If people use common sense ( many do not!!!!! ) then Spain is no different to any other place in EU...........

my local radio, the here in my lounge:ROFLMAO:, it was magic AM, the piont I was making was I never heard it being broadcast before? never seen it in the papers?

why are "they " broadcasting it?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
my local radio, the here in my lounge:ROFLMAO:, it was magic AM, the piont I was making was I never heard it being broadcast before? never seen it in the papers?

Well thats for you to find out as it's your local radio.

I know for a fact having spoken to local Spanish policeman not 50 minutes ago ( he checked their computer system ) that your local radio is "talking bollocks"................................ [HI]Sorry but I find this scare mongering and have no time for it. [/HI]

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Bad news sell newspapers! Do journalists lie? Short news day.
They make it up as they go along, they have to say something and the worst the news the better it seems to be to journalists.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think, us being country folk, are more aware because we need more space around us !
And if someone is rubbing shoulders puts you on high alert. :whatthe:

But city folk are in the situation every day, being very close in crowded places. :whatthe:

But for us, it would be the same in London, Paris, Rome, New York, or Barcelona, we are on alert because we are not use to being in places like that, and they are all the same, and would not be surprised to find someone else's hand in my pocket in that situation. ::bigsmile:

You just prepare yourself and if it happens, it was going to happen anyway.:Sad:

If someone is geared up to do a robbery, nothing you do will stop them, unless your prepared for them, like us, we sit on guard with a gun. :winky::ROFLMAO: Bob.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It has been on UK radio station for a while, I have definatly heard it earlier in the year.. Also was some ads in newspapers at the start of the summer...
The robberies have been happening for a while and as we are motorhome people and in therory in a vehicle more than most, we tend to hear about it more via the forums etc.
There are a lot I guess who travel in their cars to holiday homes and either do the drive in summer or for the winter break.... So maybe it's to alert those.

In 18 months I have done the Spain run in motorhome and car 6 times. Never any issues BUT am always cautious and try to be aware.......:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was approached by 2 very suspicious characters in a Spanish motorway aire a few years ago. They chased after my van as I made a speedy getaway.

I later realised they were trying to alert me to a diesel leak that was spewing onto the road, which I had noticed but thought was connected to the cab air con:Doh:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017

Yet more unwarranted scaremongering.:Angry:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
'Flag down' attacks. Take photographs, of the perps. and their vehicle. Although, if you avoid motorways there won't be many places they can pull alongside.

'Distraction' robberies. Be alert and avoid filling up on motorways. Plan your refills carefully and you may not even have to stop for fuel in Spain, at least on your initial journey.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
In defence of the OP, he/she heard something on the radio that may be useful for us to know. No need to castigate them for trying to be helpful.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp

I know for a fact having spoken to local Spanish policeman not 50 minutes ago ( he checked their computer system ) that your local radio is "talking bollocks"................................ [HI]Sorry but I find this scare mongering and have no time for it. [/HI]

You may not have noticed I put quotes around "robbery" I don't lthink they happan regularly either. I was just posting on the radio broadcast warnings. I was surprised by them and thought it amusing that such an item sbould be public service announcement. They were actually quite funny but it al has gone over your head. I found your reply a tad over the top
Too much sun perhaps

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Please be positive about this, it does happen, it happened to us although it was in Portugal so don't imagine it's a Spanish thing.

I would not stop, I just felt nothing was wrong with our MH so kept going so please remember it does happen and it may be you next.

We have toured France, Spain and Portugal many times in the last 8 years and only once have seen this happen but even once is too many.

It is good to be reminded of these things, as the more we travel the more complacent we may get and that is when we can slip up and be targets for these scumbags.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Please be positive about this, it does happen, it happened to us although it was in Portugal so don't imagine it's a Spanish thing.

I would not stop, I just felt nothing was wrong with our MH so kept going so please remember it does happen and it may be you next.

We have toured France, Spain and Portugal many times in the last 8 years and only once have seen this happen but even once is too many.

It is good to be reminded of these things, as the more we travel the more complacent we may get and that is when we can slip up and be targets for these scumbags.

I thought that was well put Keith....:thumb:....it may or may not Happen..who is 100%...you may have travelled 999 times without a problem " BUT " that 1 out of 1000.... is one to many.....there are people out there that tea-leaf ...in all countries..so just be careful... that is all the man is putting across ..be it a funster or a radio announcer

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
These flag down robberies can happen anywhere. A couple in their 80's two doors away from us went to France a few years ago with friends, they were flagged down, robbed and one of them beaten up.
We have been to All over Europe, never had a problem anywhere.
We were in Corsica a few years ago and planned to drive from one end of the island to the other and were warned of bandits in the hills who stop you at gunpoint. We went anyway and never saw anybody around, armed or not.
Bad news is always good news, wherever you are.
Allan

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
You may not have noticed I put quotes around "robbery" I don't lthink they happan regularly either. I was just posting on the radio broadcast warnings. I was surprised by them and thought it amusing that such an item sbould be public service announcement. They were actually quite funny but it al has gone over your head. I found your reply a tad over the top
Too much sun perhaps

OP:

I reconised the voices of the actors used, but forgot them now

glad Im still working now and cant go

Where in your OP in your words "thought it amusing that such an item should be public service announcement" is it amusing!!!! and then your state "glad Im still working now and cant go" - so there for: firstly you should have researched it before posting it to SCARE people and secondly I do NOT believe I was over the top ( I get loads of sun, so that is not a problem ) as many have "said thanks" for my post, so therefore only stating what others are thinking!!!!!
[HI]This is NOT AIMED at YOU[/HI] - I only ask [HI]PLEASE[/HI] that other's do some research BEFORE posting things that have no truth/fact and only lead to spoiling other MH'ers quality time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
OP:

I reconised the voices of the actors used, but forgot them now

glad Im still working now and cant go

Where in your OP in your words "thought it amusing that such an item should be public service announcement" is it amusing!!!! and then your state "glad Im still working now and cant go" - so there for: firstly you should have researched it before posting it to SCARE people and secondly I do NOT believe I was over the top ( I get loads of sun, so that is not a problem ) as many have "said thanks" for my post, so therefore only stating what others are thinking!!!!!
[HI]This is NOT AIMED at YOU[/HI] - I only ask [HI]PLEASE[/HI] that other's do some research BEFORE posting things that have no truth/fact and only lead to spoiling other MH'ers quality time.

oh dear oh dear, talk about wrong end of the stick,

Firstly, I dont think theres an outbreak of thefts from travelers in Spain or anywhere else for that matter, but it does happen.

Secondly, I thought the advert itself was funny, not the content, not that it "happens or not" depending on what peole personly belive, but the advert was funny in the way it was done by the actors, its a pity you cant get you tube for radio content and then people could hear it themselves.

Thirdly, I do think your reply was over the top, do you work for the Spainish tourist board?

Forthly, I know it wasnt personal, attack the post, not the poster,

Fithly (is there such a word?) bugger lost my thoughts:Doh: now so I'll leave it a four:thumb:

:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Some years ago while driving to All wheel Drive club meeting in France i was toeing a trailer with a land rover Trailer on it plus loads of spares etc for the event, a pickup with 2 lads in had over taken me and I had overtaken them when on a long straight piece of road the flashed me up then pull a long side pointing at the trailer, so I pulled over and stopped they got out one with a pickaxe handle and came over to me, but what they had not seen was 3 others in the range rover sleeping who woke when I stopped, when the lads say them they pissed off very quickly.
But may have been different had I been alone. So yes it does happen.
Steve

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
And sometimes it doesn't. We broke down within walking distance of Madrid next to a sink estate. Over 2 hrs sat in the van and nothing happened but a lot of the residents will know us next time! Think you just have to be in the wrong place AND at the wrong time.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Bloody hell thought for a monument i had longed in to the wrong forum castigation dose That not happen on facts?.and out and about/
Thought this was fun or is the tide turning
i wonder it sum-times put me off posting being of a lower intellience than sum of the intellectuals on her i seem to be heaping more and more on her.
Well i think that common-sense pre-vales with peters post there is always a risk.
i was a victim of sum thing simler right her in goole just a few week ago it was only my leisure batterers from outside my garage that went/
But while one picky kept me talking abut my camper the other one loaded the batterers on to there truck
by the time i had realised they were gone.:Doh:
SO NO MATER WARE YOU ARE IT CAN HAPPEN :Eeek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Only an idiot would get caught out. No more dangerous than any where. You have to be careful even in England not to get robbed. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
Bandits??

In the car at a service area in Spain last February, as soon as I parked up, we were surrounded by them demanding our bread, they even leaned on the wing mirror, luckily they were little sparrows and we were only too happy to give them half a loaf, as it turned out, they still demanded more. These Spanish sparrows, they have no conscience! So watch out for them folks, I swear they were wearing little zorro masks!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
According to the British Embassy in Spain, an increasing number of British holidaymakers are being targeted in highway robberies across the country. Unsuspecting tourists travelling in hire cars or British registered vehicles are particularly vulnerable on the AP7 stretch of motorway between the French border of La Jonquera and the Alicante region of Southern Spain where so far 140 cases Some might speculate that the rise in motorway crime by well organised gangs has been exacerbated by the perilous state of the Spanish economy but in reality such tricksters have been using the same scams to rob tourists for many years. A popular ruse employed at motorway service stations involves surreptitiously puncturing a tyre and then offering to help the driver while an accomplice steals valuables from the vehicle. Another scam includes making loud bangs when a tourist’s car is in transit causing the driver to pull over on to the hard shoulder. A fellow road user quickly pulls up offering assistance while a gang member steals from the victim’s car.of theft have been reported to local British consulates.
This applies to the m'ways around Madrid too...
And another popular trick is the supposed 'police-car', checking passports and grabbing wallets /handbags etc.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]Only an idiot would get caught out. [/HI]No more dangerous than any where. You have to be careful even in England not to get robbed. BUSBY::bigsmile:

i wish that was true, sadly many an intelligent person gets scammed or robbed.

but i fully agree that you there is a need to be carefull and aware wherever we are.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

In my considerable experience while travelling around the world in Motorhomes or on foot, I can tell you for sure that no matter where you are, you are 1000 times more likely to be the victim of an act of kindness than becoming a victim of crime. And, by being aware you can reduce the risk of crime so as to be almost non existent.

It's good that they mention it on the radio it's good that it gets mentioned here. Being aware is your ONLY real defence. Have the good sense to know that the chances are so low as to not have to worry about it and then worry about it, just a little::bigsmile:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
On our last trip around Spain we came across several good samaritans.

Wandering about the country we stopped at the side of the road to check our route. A couple of times we were asked if we needed directions, that's never happened to me in the UK, and on one occasion this Water Company guy lead us to our destination some miles away.

Be careful out there!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back