Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I noticed today that the M/H( Bolero 600), roof is becoming dirty again, despite having it cleaned at the beginning of the year, cannot go up there myself, (ladders, falling off etc), so I was wondering if anybody had tried to clean as much as possible from standing on steps inside the van, (allowed by O/H), out of the Heiki, using a longish brush, feasible, anybody tried it.........??

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I noticed today that the M/H( Bolero 600), roof is becoming dirty again, despite having it cleaned at the beginning of the year, cannot go up there myself, (ladders, falling off etc), so I was wondering if anybody had tried to clean as much as possible from standing on steps inside the van, (allowed by O/H), out of the Heiki, using a longish brush, feasible, anybody tried it.........??

Hi
Not done the roof but I have done a solar panel that way, When I had no ladder in Spain after a sand storm, I cant see why you can't do the roof other than getting the brush in a bucket up there it would be a bit of a contortion trick, but I think it could be done. Pete :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Steps, bucket of water, long handled brush inside the motorhome hanging out of a Heki roof light sounds more dangerous than climbing on from the outside to me :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I've done part of the roof using this means, but could only reach out so far, just over an arms length. Had a set of aluminium steps to stand on.

Wasn't too bad as I could also reach from the sides on a tall pair of steps.

The area I found difficult was towards the front as the raised roof light stopped me working in that direction.

I found it easier to take a garden hose with an on/off nozzle up through the opening and then turning it on and off as I required it. Extending arm brush was easy to get up through the opening.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

16 yr old local lad 20 notes to go on top clean and polish i can do sides he also help clean garden when i /we are away,[find a friend,co]:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have stood on the roof to do mine in the past, now I lean a ladder on mh with padding to prevent damage normally a pillow and conect a long extendable brush to a hose and I can do the whole roof in no time.

Whatever you do don't park next to your garage and stand on garage roof :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my preference is a portable scaffold tower. just assemble with wheels and a platform at a good height. then its much safer to work without relying on wobbly steps or a moving ladder

can be hired for 1/2 a day from many hire shops or purchase a basic one for example this one is only £127
Link Removed

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
my preference is a portable scaffold tower. just assemble with wheels and a platform at a good height. then its much safer to work without relying on wobbly steps or a moving ladder

can be hired for 1/2 a day from many hire shops or purchase a basic one for example this one is only £127
[[HI]url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Scaffold-Tower-Stable-Platform-DIY-WORKING-Platform-Rolling-Hedge-/310726425567?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item4858bcfbdf[/url]
[/HI]

Wouldn't be any good to me with a platform dimension of 50mm x 125mm (2" x 5"):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I use a sturdy set of aluminium steps with a flat platform on top, and a very light-weight long-reach brush. Steps similar to these:

http://www.extensionladdersonline.c...step-ladders?gclid=CMyP1NW3yboCFVMbtAodRBsAEg

Put the steps next to the van and just dip the brush in a bucket - work around until whole roof has been cleaned, moving steps as necessary.

Then take hose up the steps to rinse it - easy. :thumb:

Mike

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Cleaning the roof

You could tip the van on its side? Or if you want to entertain the neighbours and get some exercise into the bargain, use a trampoline. Could take a while though.:ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
[/HI]

Wouldn't be any good to me with a platform dimension of 50mm x 125mm (2" x 5"):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
somehow i think there is a measurement error in the listing :ROFLMAO:

4ft x 2ft is a bit more realistic, or get a larger 4ft x 4ft or 6ft x 4 ft. both on ebay for about £250 delivered :thumb:

the concept is the same though with a solid platform to stand and work on....much safer

just thought, I remember seeing an orange platform setup at B&Q castlepoint for under £100. may be helpful as its local and you can see it before buying

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Link Removed

as Chief Martin Brodey said in the film jaws...."I think we've gonna need a bigger boat".

with a platform height of just 98cm it may just bring your eyes level with the roof. :Doh: :roflmto:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I can think of 2 options

1) Park under a low bridge and clean from above

2) Adopt method in the picture

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 31

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to do the same as above, namely leaning a ladder with some padding on it up against the side of the MH and use a long handled wash brush, very easy and safe to do so long as you don't try to over-reach. Whilst platforms are okay it is all too easy to forget where they end and step off with disasterous consequences (no ... I haven't done that but I know someone who has!!!). We have been known to park ours next to the flat roof part of the bungalow which our drives runs next to and use the long handled wash brush to do one half, then turn the MH round and do the other side but it's too much pratting around!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, I think you'll have the RSPCA after you soon, though, it just isn't fair to have a 'bear' with you whilst you do the cleaning!! :ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Why bother anyway, nobody is going to see up there. Its a bit like polishing the inside of your wheely bin :winky:

simbadog

Free Member
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Send the wife up the ladder to do it while you're down the pub :RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why bother anyway, nobody is going to see up there. Its a bit like polishing the inside of your wheely bin :winky:

Because it's also a good way to check on the condition of your roof and the seals for vents and other fixtures, seams etc. When we had a Rapido 709F I was up on the roof at one point and noticed a 1 inch cut in the sealant which covered the join between the front low profile cowl and the roof ... if I hadn't seen it the first I would have known was when I got a damp patch inside! By regularly cleaning it you can see what's going on up there ... :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As I have to get on all fours and scrub like mad with a strong cleaner, I do not think any sort of long handled brush will afford me enough down force to get the job done

If you are not happy to DIY then the 16 year old ( noooo. not a 16 yesr old on a long stik ! ) and a £20 note may be your only realistic option

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As I have to get on all fours and scrub like mad with a strong cleaner, I do not think any sort of long handled brush will afford me enough down force to get the job done

I originally thought that would be the case and was surprised it was possible. Our roof does get pretty mucky, but it all seems to lift off quite easily with soap and water. Just use car shampoo. Oh, and I clean the roof twice a year - I think - or three times at the most. :thumb:

Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Because it's also a good way to check on the condition of your roof and the seals for vents and other fixtures, seams etc. When we had a Rapido 709F I was up on the roof at one point and noticed a 1 inch cut in the sealant which covered the join between the front low profile cowl and the roof ... if I hadn't seen it the first I would have known was when I got a damp patch inside! By regularly cleaning it you can see what's going on up there ... :thumb:

One piece monocoque body shell on mine. No seams, no worries :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
One piece monocoque body shell on mine. No seams, no worries :thumb:

Same on mine but did get a small leak where gas flue came through the roof. Easy to seal. BUSBY::bigsmile:

julesgemini

Free Member
Nov 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Autoquest
Exp
Since 2000

Just a word of warning. You say your ladder is falling off etc. I would check that closely as leaks can happen if the ladder screws are rusty or the ladder is coming away! Also green slime on the roof doesnt help the rubber seals! You could always take the van to a jet wash. We have one close to us they charge £15 and clean the van and the roof for you. I always get them to finnish the roof off with hot wax too!

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Just a word of warning. You say your ladder is falling off etc. I would check that closely as leaks can happen if the ladder screws are rusty or the ladder is coming away! Also green slime on the roof doesnt help the rubber seals! You could always take the van to a jet wash. We have one close to us they charge £15 and clean the van and the roof for you. I always get them to finnish the roof off with hot wax too!

My ladder is not falling off, I have not got one, I should have explained, I had the ladder propped against the side of the (then)caravan, sorry for swearing, the ladder legs slipped back away from the van , the top of the ladder gouged two lovely parallel lines down the side of the van and I ended up tangled with a huge hole in my shin with the bone showing, and a right shoulder , previously damaged many years ago when knocked off my new BMW motorcycle, re-damaged again, it took about 4-5 months to get anywhere near right again, hence the reluctance and orders from O/H never to climb onto the roof again.
Maybe too much information.:Eeek:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I bought a set of " Big Red Ladders" off ebay and they are brilliant with big red non slip feet on them, can be set up as a working platform, a long ladder or as I mostly use them an apex, my roof is 3.25m high and I am scared if heights but I manage with these on my slightly sloped drive, I ordered the longest ones

Link Removed

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Its a lovely sunny day and the van is in dire need of a clean. I have done a detailed risk assessment and the obvious conclusion was that the men in the station carpark can do inside and out for £35:Smile:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

just a thought does anyone have a circus near them so i could borrow a set of stilts:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I see a lot of folk ask why bother...
For me, after reading and doing the math myself, it is about economy..
It does not not a massive difference ( to say the least !! ) but a clean 'slippery' roof moves through air a lot easier than a dirty one

There is also the possible issue of green gunge growing and forcing its self in to any joints etc..
My roof is one piece but does have an edging on it.. and that MIGHT get forced up

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back