Leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It's time to change my batteries as they no longer hold charge. They are Elecsol 110 and I read somewhere recently that Elecsol are no longer trading. Does anyone have any recommendation for decent quality replacements please ?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Traction batteries are king!

Banner, in lead acid or gel, are the next best thing in my opinion.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So who do you recommend?

Traction batteries are king!

Banner, in lead acid or gel, are the next best thing in my opinion.:thumb:

as above....

depends what you want of them.

if you mainly use hookup then any cheap lead acid will do....you arent using batteries on hookup anyway.

off grid....then spend more, get more.

no real preference myself, but if money no object it would be 6v traction batteries.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
as above....

depends what you want of them.

if you mainly use hookup then any cheap lead acid will do....you arent using batteries on hookup anyway.

off grid....then spend more, get more.

no real preference myself, [HI]but if money no object it would be 6v traction batteries[/HI].

So if I understand this correctly John, you're saying JONANDSHELL are loaded:ROFLMAO:

Only joking by the way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So if I understand this correctly John, you're saying JONANDSHELL are loaded:ROFLMAO:

Only joking by the way.

it's come to my attention that yow have more money than me.....

cant confirm their personal wealth but you have to have a few spare bob to run tractions. :RollEyes:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your question comes at an appropriate time, as the Caravan club magazine has just published at article on the subject.
In short they selected 10 different band new leisure batteries and subjected them to a proper test to establish their true AH rating. 8 out the ten were not as stated with some being absolutely crap. Unfortunately the C.C. refused to name and shame them on the basis of only one battery being tested.
The other two which they rated at being high quality batteries and meeting their test requirements were Varta and Banner.

There you go, a scientific test that demonstrates these two batteries are A.O.K.

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
Best investment I made was 4x 6 volt traction batteries total of 470 amp hr my vans have all ways taken a hammering on power with me always keeping an eye what my batteries we're on percentage wise since fitting these relaxed a lot still check but not to the same degree don't go on campsites very often so decent batteries and chargers a must my opinion is it's worth the extra cost:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
it's come to my attention that yow have more money than me.....

cant confirm their personal wealth but you have to have a few spare bob to run tractions. :RollEyes:

115 Ah 12v Dyno traction monobloc battery- £120.

Our batteries are now 4 1/2 years old with no drop in capacity.
A 115Ah traction monobloc can be safely discharged to 80%, therefore it is has 92 useable Ah, equivalent to a 180Ah 'leisure' type which can only discharge to 50% if you want it to last more than 2 or 3 trips.
Many folks go through crap leisure batteries every couple of years.
So, the cost of 2 x 90Ah leisure batteries per two years would be around £250 over the period we have owned our £120 traction monobloc.

Which is cheaper now then?::bigsmile:

By the way, we have 3 batteries in our bank, useable power 276 Ah. Equivalent to 550 Ah worth of crap leisure batteries.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course, of all your leisure battery has to do is keep your van going during tea breaks between sites with hookup, then traction batteries are a waste of money.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
traction batteries and a couple of decent sized solar panels and you can be free of hookup for weeks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back