LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
An old Tomtom 700 went for £51-50 that I was bidding on last night on the bay. As good as those things are they are around 10 years old now and am thinking that's a lora wonga for a 10 year old satnav. If my trusty 700 is terminal, which I wont know until Thursday, what do you funsters suggest as a replacement. Ideally I would like a bigger screen than my old 700 and of course the ability to download Aires.

It is begging to look like its RIP Tommy 700 and thanks for all the suggestions re a repair.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
We have been quite happy with our TomTom Start 20. It has plenty of space to hold large numbers of POIs comfortably. It takes map references. It has a micro SD slot. It's cheap.

If you want a larger screen (the 20 is a reasonable size) the 25 has one but is identical in every other respect.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi dave
Dont know if you have a tablet android or ipad or such
I have a ipad that elaine uses but no gps chip fitted so cant be used as a sat nav

I use a galaxy note that does have gps on so I downloaded tomtom
Been using it since malvern and bloody hell is it weird having a 10 inch satnav and it works very well allready had a map update
Cost I think was 40 quid and according to what I understand it can be transferred if I get rid of this pad
Just a thought

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi dave
I have a ipad that elaine uses but no gps chip fitted so cant be used as a sat nav

Been using it since malvern and bloody hell is it weird having a 10 inch satnav and it works very well allready had a map update
Cost I think was 40 quid and according to what I understand it can be transferred if I get rid of this pad
Just a thought

Am afraid I cant get on with these new mobile phones. Fingers are too big and brain too small :RollEyes:. I really need a separate satnav from my phone. Just thought of something else I need on a satnav as well as big screen, and ability to download Aires etc. I also need the ability to get east Europe down to Turkey and Morocco as well as west Europe, so it should have quite a large memory unlike its new owner :Doh:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Any of the TomTom start models are quite good, large screen and easy to navigate via the menu system. Lots of POI's including CC, CL and French aires plus many more are freely available. MY only gripe is that the Start 60 would lose signal too easily which resulted in an exchange for a Go 825 which has been fine. My old Go700 had an ariel extension and never had this problem. I think its the cab overhang that doesn't help.

However, at the end of the day y0ou still need the trusty old map to confirm suitability of the route calculated; especially in Europe.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi dave

Just a thought

As long as your ipad is a 3g one then it uses something called assisted GPS , this means that you can use TomTom on it.
I have TomTom on my ipad and its marvelous:thumb:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Our ProDrive PD-7 is a truck sat nav. You key in length and height and top speed of your vehicle and it makes sure you don't end up somewhere you can't get out of.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
A few moths ago I bought the tomtom live go camper/caravan, very good free maps for live but expensive. I was talking to another funster I think at Lincoln who had a 'copy' one that was a 1/4 of the price and identical so if it holds up a bargain. And yes it is stuck on the windscreen.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Am afraid I cant get on with these new mobile phones. Fingers are too big and brain too small :RollEyes:. I really need a separate satnav from my phone. Just thought of something else I need on a satnav as well as big screen, and [HI]ability to download Aires etc.[/HI] I also need the ability to get east Europe down to Turkey and Morocco as well as west Europe, so it should have quite a large memory unlike its new owner :Doh:

It's fairly easy to load PoIs to TomTom and Garmin. Snooper has a set for owners to download but anything else you have to get them to set up for you.

I've no idea what the situation is Navman and the other makes sold in the likes of Halfords/Currys but beware of some of those on eBay. When I checked earlier this year some could but some couldn't and some weren't sure so best getting advice of an existing owner (rather than the seller) before buying.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Snowbird.. We downloaded the Tom Tom App to my wives I-pad from apple, £50 ish and it has everything that you need, PLUS you have the big screen of the I-pad to look at.. Your I-pad needs to be 3G, but it is absolutely superb.. No more "squinting" at that little screen and lots of new extras.. Hope this helps... Mitch. :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for all the advice and offers. Have just managed to get a replacement 700 for the princely sum of £31-56 off the bay. Just got to wait for my man to come home and convert it to my requirements now ::bigsmile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have the tomtom srart 25, very pleased with it, nice size screen, I don`t have it stuck to the windscreen, I have one of those pads, bit like a doughnut, is the best way I can describe it, it is weighted, and doesn`t move whereever I put it, has a small glass plate that the satnav sticks to, and has a padded lip round the sides. Just pick it up when leaving MH and no one knows you have a satnav, no telltale marks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back