Induction hobs - a way to use non-metallic pans! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're in the market for a new cooker and can't decide whether to change from gas to dual-fuel (gas hob and electric grill/ovens) or go full electric (halogen or induction) as we've always had gas, so I've recently bought a single induction hob with the intention of trying it out to see if we like it to help us decide and avoid making a possibly expensive mistake.

Anyway, whilst looking up info about induction I came across a 'plate' that you can use on an induction hob to allow you to use normal (ie non-metallic) pans on it, such as aluminium ones. Apparently they come in different sizes:

Link Removed

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for that, just ordered one for the van so I can use the pressure cooker on the induction hob.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
What induction cooker/hotplate are you intending to use and will it work on any campsite electric hookup ?

Many thanks for any pointers

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What induction cooker/hotplate are you intending to use and will it work on any campsite electric hookup ?

Many thanks for any pointers

Had mine from Maplins. It weighs no more than a laptop and is about the same size. Its worked on every campsite I have ever been on. Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Had mine from Maplins. It weighs no more than a laptop and is about the same size. Its worked on every campsite I have ever been on. Link Removed
Dave,

I've been put off an induction hob, mainly for two reason. 1. The non magnetic pans issue, which Mel above has shown us all, can be resolved, (nice one Mel :thumb:) and 2. I don't know about your RMB, but our Hymer trips out at 10amps, :Sad: the amperage required when using the 2000watt induction hob on full. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Confused here!:Eeek:

When did aluminium stop being classed as a metal?

I get it! Induction hobs need ferrous pans to work.:thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dave,

I've been put off an induction hob, mainly for two reason. 1. The non magnetic pans issue, which Mel above has shown us all, can be resolved, (nice one Mel :thumb:) and 2. I don't know about your RMB, but our Hymer trips out at 10amps, :Sad: the amperage required when using the 2000watt induction hob on full. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

I was told by some when I bought the induction hob, it would not work on campsite hookup. When I bought mine it was on offer at Maplins at £29 so I thought I would give it a go. The setting is variable, but we have never had a problem even on the high setting. Things heat up very quickly in it and you do not require it on the high setting for long. We use it all the time, but it was always a problem using the pressure cooker, which we use a lot.

mobic

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Linlithgow, West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Induction Hobs

We have a one ring induction hob and its fantastic. We bought one of these 'converter' plates from Coopers of Stortford by mail order and whilst it doesn't look shiny and high tech it really does work. We only use gas to cook when we don't have a hook up, but as my wife is disabled we tend to use sites with hook ups most of the time and we've had the same gas cylinder fir more than a year now. :thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Dave,

Cheers,

Jock.

All the vans I've had have had 2 trips - one circuit at 10 amps which supplies the sockets, heating, water heating etc and one at 6 amps which supplies lights etc. 10 amps is 2,300 watts so there shouldn't be a problem unless you are running something else at the same time on the same circuit.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
All the vans I've had have had 2 trips - one circuit at 10 amps which supplies the sockets, heating, water heating etc and one at 6 amps which supplies lights etc. 10 amps is 2,300 watts so there shouldn't be a problem unless you are running something else at the same time on the same circuit.
It's a German spec Hymer, which comes with one RCD, tripping out at 10 amps. The upside, is that we never trip the site bollard, only our RCD.

We use a 900 watt kettle, and a 900/1800 fan heater, when being charged for leccy. Nothing left of the 10 amps. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My advice would be get one when they come on offer at Aldi or Maplins Jock. They do work on campsite electrics, even if you have to switch the heater off for a few minutes. We even use ours at home its so easy and quick and takes no room up at all.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Confused here!:Eeek:

When did aluminium stop being classed as a metal?

I get it! Induction hobs need ferrous pans to work.:thumb:

Apologies, should have made it clear that the type of pan needed has to be the type of metal that a magnet will stick to for it to work ... not that you need to have a magnet in the pan of course!
::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well it arrived last week and I must say its very good quality and in true motorhomers fashion it now does two jobs. Makes a greet base for the Tomtom sucker to stick too on the dash. No more unsightly sucker marks on the windscreen :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We're in the market for a new cooker and can't decide whether to change from gas to dual-fuel (gas hob and electric grill/ovens) or go full electric (halogen or induction) as we've always had gas, so I've recently bought a single induction hob with the intention of trying it out to see if we like it to help us decide and avoid making a possibly expensive mistake.

Anyway, whilst looking up info about induction I came across a 'plate' that you can use on an induction hob to allow you to use normal (ie non-metallic) pans on it, such as aluminium ones. Apparently they come in different sizes:

Link Removed

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

Mel "B".....Don't waste your money on the "plate" they are next to useless....in fact there is one here you can have.....we have had for 4 years + now a induction 4 ring hob.....when we first purchased the induction and because we had many pans in various sizes shapes covering cooking various jobs.. lot of the pans very new of the stainless steel variety ..thinking steel = induction = perfect....not so...so we purchased the plate to act as a go between ....well the heat :Doh: crap it took toooo long for anything to cook..wasted heat between the induction hob and plate...and between the plate and pan..
A good job we only purchased one of the " plates" you have mentioned.
We have ended up buying all new pans that are for induction cooking rings and they are fine...and stored our other pans in case we moved to different property where the cooking is either gas or standard electric rings.... :thumb:

try cooking with the iduction hob with the correct pans you will find a vast difference in cooking.....the plate is realy just a make do job if you don't want to change you cooking pans

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mel "B".....Don't waste your money on the "plate" they are next to useless....in fact there is one here you can have.....we have had for 4 years + now a induction 4 ring hob.....when we first purchased the induction and because we had many pans in various sizes shapes covering cooking various jobs.. lot of the pans very new of the stainless steel variety ..thinking steel = induction = perfect....not so...so we purchased the plate to act as a go between ....well the heat :Doh: crap it took toooo long for anything to cook..wasted heat between the induction hob and plate...and between the plate and pan..
A good job we only purchased one of the " plates" you have mentioned.
We have ended up buying all new pans that are for induction cooking rings and they are fine...and stored our other pans in case we moved to different property where the cooking is either gas or standard electric rings.... :thumb:

try cooking with the iduction hob with the correct pans you will find a vast difference in cooking.....the plate is realy just a make do job if you don't want to change you cooking pans

Anyone passing by (we live in Northern France) is welcome to our plate for FREE, it is made by Whirlpool and at the time we bought it I think it cost us about £35.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Anyone passing by (we live in Northern France) is welcome to our plate for FREE, it is made by Whirlpool and at the time we bought it I think it cost us about £35.

So what you have gone and done is purchased a modern induction hob ...which are very very good..easy to clean...the induction plate does not get hot...and gone back to the old steel cast solid plate ?????? inefficient solid plate...:Doh: why.. plus carrying more items ????...I can see only one reason why Dave (SB) has purchased one his alum pressure cooker...

DON'T forget this one I have is FREE to any member passing...as mentioned above

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Caution.

Hi.
Bought an induction hob,after seeing a chap using one on site,great bit of kit.
Breaking the rule of a lifetime,i read the instructions through..." Not advisable to be used if a pacemaker is fitted"
So now that's me doing the cooking,the misses has to be about 5/6 ft away,just a warning in good faith,they are a great bit of kit.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back