advice needed re mifi and antenna (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI all
Forgive me, I have read lots of threads about this, but just managed to confuse myself completely. Can someone point me in the right direction?

This is my problem. We live in the van and most of the time we are on a site in Devon which has wifi. We pay 12 per month for this, which is OK. However, once the blinds are up at night the signal gets a bit iffy. We can only use it on one device at a time, and would like to be able to use several.

We have an iphone which I have managed to tether to the laptop, but due to the location very poor signal on 02. However, this is the best phone signal for our area.

The kindle 3g is also poor signal - I think this is the vodafone network. (Is this the same as EE?)

I bought the huawei mifi, hoping to use that, as it can be balanced on a skylight. However, EE signal is also very poor, and drops in and out. I have the unlock code now, so will try to do that, but still dont know which network to try instead.

Would a booster, or antenna help with the poor signal.
Can I access the site wifi through the mifi, allowing us to use more than one

The site is in a steep sided river valley with lots of trees around us. It is very pretty!

Any help much appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can I access the site wifi through the mifi, allowing us to use more than one.

No not through MiFi.

You may get site WiFi with an exterior aerial. That solution is on here, two in fact, an ebay one or our member motorhomewifi.com. Both very similar in use to MiFi but using a local WiFi hot spot ( the site in this case ).

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sounds like you are in hidden valley site just up the road from me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I use a booster system, about £20 from t'internet.

This is my review on the said article.

Russell

We have a booster like the one Russell has linked to and find it excellent. In the situation the OP mentions concerning pulling the blinds down at night - we have our booster in the small holster attached to the inside of the window. Interestingly, when the blinds come down over the top of the booster it often appears to amplify the signal even more.

We have used this method during the daytime on occasion when the connection - even using the booster - is marginal. Just pull the blind down over the booster and watch the signal strength improve! Doesn't work every time, but it's always worth a try. :thumb:

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your MiFi MAY work better if you do as Jim (ringleader) does.....put it in a plastic bag and hoist it to the top of a flagpole.

otherwise unlock and buy a 3 'data only' simcard

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd be tempted to try the 'hoisting up a flagpole' trick, or some other method to raise your MIFI to hopefully receive a better signal before spending money on anything else as that may be all that it needs. If that doesn't help much have a look at the 'coverage check' for each provider for where you are - as you know how abysmal some of them are already it will give you some idea if moving to '3' will be any better, you could then see if someone has a '3' sim which you could try connecting to, or try in your MIFI (once you've unlocked it) and see if it works any better, then if it is, you could consider buying a '3' sim. There are also various 'GiffGaff' data sims too but you'd best check which network they work with/their coverage:

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags#data

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/How-do-I-check-coverage/ta-p/3487749

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Wildman

Actually we are in Horrabridge, at Magpie Leisure Park. It's a lovely spot, Thanks all for the help. I will try the tupperware outside, but not tonight, as it is a bit windy, and raining cats and dogs. Giff gaff says they have good 3g, and 3 seems reasonable, according to their coverage checker, but green, which is outside. I have the unlock code, so will have a go at that soon, and then experiment. I presume if I buy an antenna, it would have to plug in to the mifi. Tricky if it is in a tupperware box. One step at a time I think.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Wildman

Actually we are in Horrabridge, at Magpie Leisure Park. It's a lovely spot, Thanks all for the help. I will try the tupperware outside, but not tonight, as it is a bit windy, and raining cats and dogs. Giff gaff says they have good 3g, and 3 seems reasonable, according to their coverage checker, but green, which is outside. I have the unlock code, so will have a go at that soon, and then experiment. I presume if I buy an antenna, it would have to plug in to the mifi. Tricky if it is in a tupperware box. One step at a time I think.

Hi Karen, Don't go with GiffGaff they use the O2 network as well so you wouldn't be any better off. I know this as Jean has a giffgaff sim and I'm an agent for them.

Are you off South this winter? if so we may get to see you down there at some point.

Keith & Jean

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Wildman

The antenna actually screws into the side of the unit, there's an unmarked black cover if you look carefully and lift it you'll see the screw thread. :Smile:

Funnily enough they invented something to solve the problem of the antenna lead getting into Tupperware boxes ... it's called a drill bit!!!! ::bigsmile: You do have to know how to work power tools though in order to use it! :ROFLMAO:

But if that's a bit toooooooo technical for you ... :Doh: .... another option I would think is a waterproof phone case as you can use that when you're out for your phone etc too ... there are loads on Ebay, something like this:

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Kieth
Thanks for the tip about giff gaff. I am working at the moment for an Agency, the contract is until Mid January, and then we will be heading for Portugal for 3/4 months. Looking forward to it no end. Dont know where yet, although we may join the rally in Albufeira for a bit if it comes off. When are you off? It would be nice to catch up somewhere. We will definitely spend some time in Portimao, and Silves.
Cheers
Karen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back