Suction cups on windscreen etc (1 Viewer)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
This is a surprise to me so may be to others as it could as well include satnav's

Be warned, if you use a suction mounted car camera in the UK, if the device (camera and / or cradle and / or suction cup) intrudes more than 4cm into the secondary (pink) wiper clearance zone, or intrudes more than 1cm into the primary (red) wiper clearance zone of the windscreen, you are committing a serious traffic offense (dangerous driving) under the UK Road Traffic Act 1988, and your vehicle is not roadworthy (it would fail an MOT).
Also / in addition, if you use a car camera with an LCD screen, if the screen is on for any of the time while you are driving and you, the driver, can view that screen, you are also committing a serious traffic offense.
If someone has sold you a windscreen suction mounted car camera, they have a legal duty to ensure
a) that the camera can actually be attached to a section of the windscreen of your particular vehicle which does not result in an unlawful intrusion of the primary (red) and / or secondary (pink) wiper clearance zone,
b) that the screen does not remain on or visible to the driver and
c) that you are aware of the law. If they sold you a suction mounted car camera without doing this, they have committed a crime. To find out how to return / report an unlawful suction mounted car camera, please see further below.
UK Law - Dangerous Driving
"In England and Wales and Scotland, a person guilty of dangerous driving is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding two years, or to a fine, or to both, or on summary conviction, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding six months, or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or to both.""A person is to be regarded as driving dangerously for the purposes of sections 1 and 2 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 if
  • the way he/she drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous; or
  • if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state (for the purpose of the determination of which regard may be had to anything attached to or carried on or in it, and to the manner in which it is attached or carried) would be dangerous."
Steve

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you talking about reversing cameras/rear-view cameras or cameras that face forwards and record your journey? :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Are you talking about reversing cameras/rear-view cameras or cameras that face forwards and record your journey? :RollEyes:
The subject I was looking into was forward facing, but surprised to read the bit about suction cups on windscreen as many satnav's are fixed this way. But after thinking about it anything in the RED or PINK windscreen area would be an mot failure so would be classes as dangerous, I am sure some mot testers on this site will be able to comment better than I can?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
This would be a difficult one to police with many thousands of drivers with suction mount navigators on their windscreens :Eeek:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Be warned, if you use a suction mounted car camera in the UK, if the device (camera and / or cradle and / or suction cup) intrudes more than 4cm into the secondary (pink) wiper clearance zone, or intrudes more than 1cm into the primary (red) wiper clearance zone of the windscreen, you are committing a serious traffic offense (dangerous driving) under the UK Road Traffic Act 1988, and your vehicle is not roadworthy (it would fail an MOT).
Also / in addition, if you use a car camera with an LCD screen, if the screen is on for any of the time while you are driving and you, the driver, can view that screen, you are also committing a serious traffic offense.

I'm sorry, but your post is to say the least alarmist!
To state that driving with a suction cup on the windscreen, or to have a reversing camera screen on whilst you're driving falls within the realms of dangerous driving is simply wrong. You will not find any reference in any legislation to say that it is. There are specific (lesser) offences to deal with such breaches, all of which need to be proved of course!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm a bit confused,I don't have red or pink wipers.As mine are black does that mean I'm exempt ! : :Eeek:

Vlad

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I'm a bit confused,I don't have red or pink wipers.As mine are black does that mean I'm exempt ! : :Eeek:

Vlad

As I have had the pleasure of starting a tread before only to become the perpetrator of all things bad.
I am only informing you of info (correct or otherwise) that will promote a discussion during which some very able members will share with us a more informed view
please have a look at this link and if you don't like what they say why not drop them aline:Smile:
http://www.incarcamerasystems.co.uk/UK_Law_Dash_Cameras.php

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
As I have had the pleasure of starting a tread before only to become the perpetrator of all things bad.
I am only informing you of info (correct or otherwise) that will promote a discussion during which some very able members will share with us a more informed view
please have a look at this link and if you don't like what they say why not drop them aline:Smile:
http://www.incarcamerasystems.co.uk/UK_Law_Dash_Cameras.php

Misinformation I'm afraid, they're simply wrong. (You may well note the absence of any reference to the law that suggests "Contrary to Road Traffic Act etc. etc. ..................")

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Misinformation I'm afraid, they're simply wrong. (You may well note the absence of any reference to the law that suggests "Contrary to Road Traffic Act etc. etc. ..................")
Is this your opinion that they are wrong or are you speaking from a more informed view.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
was ther suction mounted Carr cameras in 1988 and as long as you keep any obstruction out of the wiper aria your not braking the law this includes fun strikers
i do have a close family member who specializes in road traffic act as he is a traffic cop and good at wat he has been doing for the last 20 years will have a chat with him and send him the link
:thumb:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Is this your opinion that they are wrong or are you speaking from a more informed view.

Link Removed

Ex traffic-cop, though I retired in 2000.
The offences you referred to are in the Con & Use Regs .....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/104/made

..and Regulation 109 that follows. Dangerous driving is, as you rightly say, a serious offence, but in reality is never used for offences that are generally considered as minor - ones that would normally result in nothing more than a telling-off.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Hmmmm

As far as I can see, the first link is from a firm selling dash mounted cameras, who not surprisingly want you to buy their product over a system mounted via suction cup to the windscreen.

The laws they quote are real, and absolutely technically speaking, in extreme cases, an offence could be committed...... but back in the real world, unless your suction cup was the size of a dinner plate in the middle of your field of view, the police and CPs would not be interested in such matters. If your vision was obscured to a great extent and a fatality occurred then it might invite prosecution, but in the normal run of things, you won't have anything to worry about.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... what about fluffy dice hanging from the mirror, or, even worse, those daft 'dream catcher' feathery things that Autotrail owners tend to favour! ::bigsmile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well sent link the link nice bit of scare mongering it technically is an offence but he sad common sense pro-vales and they have bigger fish to fry low down on wind screen even if the driver was a total prate it's probably not even in the slapped hand category
not worth the paper work :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I think I will continue to affix my rubber sucker behind the mirror largely on the hashed area for rain detection. This does leave the camera unit itself very slightly obstructing the view but the important thing is where the sucker attaches to the windscreen. Must check where my fun sticker is.

If I do get into trouble I will take a lead from the police/camera/action style program's, and produce a few clips from them for my defence.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

With acknowledgements to cartoonist, the late Constable Jon Whittaker.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
its also illegal to have dangling air fresheners and screen stickers etc but i never heard of anyone being prosecuted.

better not put your satnav on the screen mount

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
... what about fluffy dice hanging from the mirror, or, even worse, those daft 'dream catcher' feathery things that Autotrail owners tend to favour! ::bigsmile:

this one was too big to hang from our mirror...:roflmto:

Attachments

• $T2eC16dHJIIFHJ(Wug!)BSbrgq0S8g~~60_58.JPG
    $T2eC16dHJIIFHJ(Wug!)BSbrgq0S8g~~60_58.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 48
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010

Oi ! I don't have a dream catcher dangling from our MH mirror.
It's actually a plastic Elvis Presley :Blush:

Has anyone noticed in the Aviva insurance ad, where Paul Whitehouse is dressed to supposedly look like a biker, that his sat nav in the car is almost in the centre of the windscreen. ::bigsmile:

Sad aren't I . :RollEyes:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The only time a policeman would stop you for that sort of infringement would be extreme - a 'for sale'ad in the front windscreen blocking part of the window, or maybe a sat nat directly in front of the drivers vision - which sadly is seen fairly often.

The action they would take would undoubtedly be 'suitable words of advice' (take it down/move it somewhere sensible)...but these would only be in extreme cases.

I have seen cars fail MOT for vision obstruction only a couple of times whilst in the trade; One had an obscene amount of stickers on the windscreen, another had 40% obscured rear windoow, again due to stickers. Rare events!

Cameras are usually positioned behind the rear view mirror, so do not obstruct vision. Sat navs usually place lower central, or lower right - so again do not obstruct vision.

The driver is not allowed to watch a tv monitor; and a tv monitor must not be positioned where the driver can view it whilst driving. A reversing monitor is fine as the theory would be reversing when in use. A full time one would be seen as a rear view mirror alternative, as you would be checking it as a rear view mirror - and not watching it like a TV programme/dvd.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back