Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
I work as a recovery truck driver, m 27. M3 and local areas. Firemen. I hope I never meet them, if I do it's bad, apart from the crash , which are not nice, it means cutting people out, washing away the fire hazard, or at worst putting out a fire in a car with maybe people in, or a calor or petrol tanker , we always think of the ambulance crews, and they are magic, what they do and how they deal with people, but firemen are there first they see it all. But they work so hard training, they train to do things we could never think of, I am just 70 and my bit can be hard, could Ido that, no way, the training would kill me, yet people who couldn't. Give a dam or do it say keep working till your old, how bloody stupid, that's my moan. And I don't know one fireman, so only see it from the side of the front line, this ain't about money, it's about reality

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would have thought as in industry there are jobs that older people can do in the fire brigade

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I work as a recovery truck driver, m 27. M3 and local areas. Firemen. I hope I never meet them, if I do it's bad, apart from the crash , which are not nice, it means cutting people out, washing away the fire hazard, or at worst putting out a fire in a car with maybe people in, or a calor or petrol tanker , we always think of the ambulance crews, and they are magic, what they do and how they deal with people, but firemen are there first they see it all. But they work so hard training, they train to do things we could never think of, I am just 70 and my bit can be hard, could Ido that, no way, the training would kill me, yet people who couldn't. Give a dam or do it say keep working till your old, how bloody stupid, that's my moan. And I don't know one fireman, so only see it from the side of the front line, this ain't about money, it's about reality

Well put when they are needed they do the job, We have never used their services thankfully but if so I know they will be up to it. Pete :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not all firemen can be bosses, if they can then the service is top heavy --I am a big beliver in that pensions should be adhered to.IE not changing goal posts
Now having said that whats wrong with freezing pension rights where they are now and restarting them at a more realistic rate so that any pension earned upto date is protected and any new paid subs etc are at a more realistic todays rate.I know it's all complex but someone must be able to figure it out.
Would I want a 60 yr old fireman sam? provided he /she was fit enough ok but if they are not fit then they should not be doing the job so retire early on a reduced pension.
I am of the opinion that a lot more workers have to get real over pensions in these times not just firemen --a fair compomise should be reached that both parties can afford--
a certain lot of Scottish workers have just found out that you can push and push but if the plugs pulled you may well end up without a job.These were not on minimum wages but well paid engineers who are quite happy to have a job now.Only my thoughts -I have always worked for myself,so a liitle skewed opinion
terry

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I would have thought as in industry there are jobs that older people can do in the fire brigade

Well, I'm coming up to 60 in a few weeks, am hard of hearing, my point?
I work for Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service albeit in the back office, but proud to do so. As with a lot of other organisations both Private & Public we have had to go 'Lean' , so jobs regardless of age, gender religion etc are at a premium.

Steve

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

But not enough jobs. Strike is about pension cuts to. Busby:Smile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not all firemen can be bosses, if they can then the service is top heavy --I am a big beliver in that pensions should be adhered to.IE not changing goal posts
Now having said that whats wrong with freezing pension rights where they are now and restarting them at a more realistic rate so that any pension earned upto date is protected and any new paid subs etc are at a more realistic todays rate.I know it's all complex but someone must be able to figure it out.
Would I want a 60 yr old fireman sam? provided he /she was fit enough ok but if they are not fit then they should not be doing the job so retire early on a reduced pension.
I am of the opinion that a lot more workers have to get real over pensions in these times not just firemen --a fair compomise should be reached that both parties can afford--
a certain lot of Scottish workers have just found out that you can push and push but if the plugs pulled you may well end up without a job.These were not on minimum wages but well paid engineers who are quite happy to have a job now.Only my thoughts -I have always worked for myself,so a liitle skewed opinion
terry
I think the pensions of MP s would be a good place to start.:roflmto::roflmto:BUSBY.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Quote : freezing pension rights where they are now and restarting them at a more realistic rate so that any pension earned upto date is protected and any new paid subs etc are at a more realistic todays rate. snipped ..

this seems to be the only fair option. it has happened to me twice over the years at different employers.

not sure how to address the age v fitness potential issues, that could be a tough one.

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

I think that Jock would agree with that, apart from fully trained firemen being forced to retire because of a slight illness or disability, when all their vast experience could be harnessed in so many ways, that experience is then wasted and lost for eve
r

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

I think that Jock would agree with that, apart from fully trained firemen being forced to retire because of a slight illness or disability, when all their vast experience could be harnessed in so many ways, that experience is then wasted and lost for ever

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back