Hubba broadband... virtually anywhere (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Link Removed

Link Removed

Has anybody got one of these or heard reports of how good they are?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK2lFjc-32c"]Hubba 3G Broadband Router - YouTube[/ame]

Supposed to work in the most remote rural areas?

Mike

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Find their claims hard to believe - living in N Scotland I know that there are vast expanses of "remote areas" where there is no phone signal let alone one strong enough for data. And even in not so remote areas there is no 3g whatsoever!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's a glorified overpriced MiFi.

You would not want to consider 3G anyway with that investment.

And as said above, almost certainly false claims on locations, no doubt there is microscopic print covering this.

The video says 20 miles off shore, print say range 15K.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
What put me off besides the cost, plus 3g subscription, was the use of "clever algorithms ", thats basically a complex flow chart.

Can I see a signal?
No- End
Yes,

Is there more than one?
No- End
Yes

Is there one with a higher connection speed?
No Connect to strongest signal
Yes. connect to that, if signal fails, connect to other.

So in effect its a booster ariel for a mifi when in a 3g area.

I find the distance claims a bit optomistic..

Will it work when 4g rolls out?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We could retail them if we wanted (and we'd come in cheaper than Hubba).

I could supply next day via our trade account if a customer wanted one.

I wouldn't put our name on it though.

The idea is sound (4x directional / sector antennas rather than an Omni) but in our bench tests they didn't perform much, if any, better then our £99 weatherproof 3G omni. You'd need the weatherproof one for the best performance.

That being said - some people swear by them - but I wouldn't be happy selling them. I don't think I can say anymore than that.

If you have a MiFi - put it in a Tupperware box on the roof of your van to remove the "Faraday effect" your vehicle has on RF signals (just don't forget it when you drive off :Eeek:).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(just don't forget it when you drive off :Eeek:).

I think what you meant to say was.....

just don't forget it when you drive off

But we will anyway.

I sometimes try the MiFi in the rooflight, it's just clear of the metal and it can only fall on the floor from there.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's a re-branded Deltenna WiBe.

To be fair, it's a cracking bit of kit & will pull in a signal good enough for video or VoIP in an area where your mobile phone won't even show a signal at all. I've had a WiBe for about 3 years & never failed to get a useable signal, although I haven't (yet) tried the more remote areas of the Scottish Highlands.

As Addie says, they work as well as they do for two reasons. They use four large directional aerials, each of which is many times the size of the one inside your mobile phone or MiFi dongle. The four aerials are at right angles to each other. Once the unit works out where the best signals are coming from, it selects that aerial alone, thus largely eliminating interference from other competing signals.

I needed it for work, so has been a justifiable expense, but they are certainly expensive.

When I bought mine, there wasn't much alternative. For most people, Addie's current offering will be fine & I suspect that's what I'd do now if I hadn't already got my WiBe. But I am one of those who swear by them.

I've just gone from a pop-up tent roof to an enclosed PVC & can confirm that the plastic box on the roof is a necessary requirement to get best performance. I'm tall enough to just reach out through the skylight. But most of the time, I can get adequate results by putting it on the dashboard. As my WiBe is mains powered (EHU or from the inverter), I have a dangling cable to remind me it's out there! I very deliberately leave it dangling in an untidy fashion so it's in the way when I try to get into the driver's seat.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I like their claim that it will pull in a signal from 9 miles away, but works 20 miles out to sea!
So, bearing in mind most transmitters are in the middle of the area they want to serve, it is very unlikely someone will mount a transmitter on the beach, just in case a ship passes within 20 miles, with a Hubba unit on board.:RollEyes:
Allan

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We could retail them if we wanted (and we'd come in cheaper than Hubba).

I could supply next day via our trade account if a customer wanted one.

I wouldn't put our name on it though.

The idea is sound (4x directional / sector antennas rather than an Omni) but in our bench tests they didn't perform much, if any, better then our £99 weatherproof 3G omni. You'd need the weatherproof one for the best performance.

That being said - some people swear by them - but I wouldn't be happy selling them. I don't think I can say anymore than that.

If you have a MiFi - put it in a Tupperware box on the roof of your van to remove the "Faraday effect" your vehicle has on RF signals (just don't forget it when you drive off :Eeek:).
Hi Addie do you sell the pre loaded sim cards for the mifi?--I usually get one from a ebay seller for 12 mths giving unlimited surfing with 500 mb per mth for what was under £25 but now its doubled in price and half length -can you recomend anything like it? at the moment just using tethered to phone but limited to 250 mb free on 3 network--prefer to use the mifi and leave phone for talking
terry

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've had a WiBe for about 3 years

No I haven't. I've had it since July 12. Three years ago is when I first upgraded from a 3G dongle to a mobile wireless router.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everybody for your responses - much appreciated. :thumb:

It is rather expensive, but certainly sounds interesting; so will give the matter some further thought.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back