IDIOT DRIVER - A496 Dolgellau - Barmouth (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I only wish the visibility/light was better, as I trundled towards Barmouth yesterday afternoon. The Ameoba who overtook two cars behind me, then mid-overtake decided to pop me as well nearly caused a head on collision.

Poor visibility. solid whites, blind summit.

I can make out the "W" when I zoom in, but sadly no more detail.

https://vimeo.com/78267551

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
Obviously a candidate for the Darwin awards :RollEyes:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
interesting you have a camera on board, they are getting more and more popular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
interesting you have a camera on board, they are getting more and more popular.

On some of the roads in N Wales, normally on a weekend, its a dickhead's paradise. So I decided to get one to help protect the huge investment I've made in purchasing this van.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I only wish the visibility/light was better, as I trundled towards Barmouth yesterday afternoon. The Ameoba who overtook two cars behind me, then mid-overtake decided to pop me as well nearly caused a head on collision.

.... Hard luck on that one - pity you couldn't make out the registration: Would have been a good one for "dangerous driving" with all the necessary ingredients for a serious accident. Infuriating!!
I wonder, with the increasing popularity of in-car cameras how, or if, the police are willing to take these on?? I understand that only certain cameras are acceptable for prosecution?

Deleted User

We had a similar narrow escape in Croatia this year, solid white line ,blind corner. The difference was there was a police car just round the corner, 1 german with a big fine:thumb::thumb::thumb:

spongy

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

What are the details of the camera you used?

Does it record to a SD Card thingy?

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
What are the details of the camera you used?

Does it record to a SD Card thingy?

It does. Full review on Techmoan: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8...-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html

I like it because its very small and because I can remove it when unattended within 5 secs and leave the mounting point in situ. When remounting, the camera just clicks back into position. I believe it is now available from within the UK, I sourced mine from NZ. The video is seriously reduced in size on Vimeo, down to 6mb. Original video quality is much better…..Low light is probably not as good as some other cameras.

Last edited:
OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I wonder, with the increasing popularity of in-car cameras how, or if, the police are willing to take these on?? I understand that only certain cameras are acceptable for prosecution?

I think if you make a complaint, submit a witness statement and the police seize the video as evidence….On the basis of my video, if the registration was clearly visible, the keeper of the vehicle would have some awkward questions to answer….Under caution, if they confirmed they were driving the car a prosecution might follow.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Call that a near miss?
You ain't seen the drivers in Norfolk and Lincolnshire!:Eeek:

That sort of incident is a daily occurrence for me.....:Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
who's to say the driver was/is an idiot.

he may be a very experienced and competent driver who knows his own, and his cars, limits and abilities.

the 'near miss' in my opinion wasnt a near miss....both cars where on their respective sides some time before passing, no swerving action or headlight flashing was taken by the approaching car.

his only mistake in my view was miscalculating the distance to the double white lines and having to cross them.

just because someone drives differently, and possibly more confidently, to you doesnt necessarily make them an idiot.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Call that a near miss?
You ain't seen the drivers in Norfolk and Lincolnshire!:Eeek:

That sort of incident is a daily occurrence for me.....:Angry:

Yep those tractors overtaking each other at harvest time is amazing John. The other week there was a combineharvester being driven by worzell overtaking a tractor (a John deer I think) nearly went head on in to a load of cows crossing the road. :Cool:

Shameful those boys at the YFA

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

he may be a very experienced and competent driver who knows his own, and his cars, limits and abilities.

the 'near miss' in my opinion wasnt a near miss....both cars where on their respective sides some time before passing, no swerving action or headlight flashing was taken by the approaching car.

his only mistake in my view was miscalculating the distance to the double white lines and having to cross them.

just because someone drives differently, and possibly more confidently, to you doesnt necessarily make them an idiot.

Ah yes John, but those overtaking us are lunatics and idiots, but those we overtake are road hogs and slow coaches:winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

[HI]his only mistake in my view was miscalculating the distance to the double white lines and having to cross them.[/HI]

"And"................ he broke the law... :Angry:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There is the not insignificant presence of solid white lines in this case........

The overtake was dangerous AND ILLEGAL!:Doh:

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van

Normally PJ I tend to agree with your comments, on this one I think your wrong. I watched him in my rear view mirror overtaking two vehicles before he got to me….He failed to comply with the towing arrows shown in the video that tell drivers to complete their overtaking manoeuvres, he then continued past my vehicle narrowly missing the oncoming vehicle. I reckon maybe a 1 second time lapse of the oncoming car that he couldn't see prevented a collision. OVER confident yes….Idiot…I think so.

In my opinion he was driving dangerously….If he had caused an accident whilst crossing the solid white, the likelihood would have been a custodial sentence.

Last edited:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-

I don't think I've ever heard such drivel!! If he wasn't an idiot, his driving was certainly idiotic. Miscalculating the distance to the double whites??!! He didn't clip them, he ENTERED the double-white system on the wrong side!! As I stated previously - all the ingredients for a serious, if not fatal accident, in which case he would certainly be facing a custodial sentence. I just cannot believe that any responsible person would seek to excuse or justify driving of this type. :Angry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
agreed...approx one second, timed on your video, from your o/s wing to the cars SAFELY passing each other, correctly positioned on their respected lanes.

assuming 60 mph (i suspect slower) that full manouvere was completed in 30 yards.

not a near miss in my book.

im not condoning his/her actions but to call 'idiot' is unfair.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think I've ever heard such drivel!! If he wasn't an idiot, his driving was certainly idiotic. Miscalculating the distance to the double whites??!! He didn't clip them, he ENTERED the double-white system on the wrong side!! As I stated previously - all the ingredients for a serious, if not fatal accident, in which case he would certainly be facing a custodial sentence. I just cannot believe that any responsible person would seek to excuse or justify driving of this type. :Angry:

nobody said i was a responsible person....i do that all the time !

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
agreed...approx one second, timed on your video, from your o/s wing to the cars SAFELY passing each other, correctly positioned on their respected lanes.

assuming 60 mph (i suspect slower) that full manouvere was completed in 30 yards.

not a near miss in my book.

im not condoning his/her actions but to call 'idiot' is unfair.

Now that would all be fine and dandy if he could actually see the approaching vehicle and its relative speed before attempting the manoeuvre. He couldn't, he/she left it to chance.

60MPH….your aren't serious are you?….Note how quickly the audi disappears into the distance…I think I was doing 55-60mph. C'mon Pappa, your defending the indefensible.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
C'mon Pappa, your defending the indefensible.

yeah....but its kept the thread lively :ROFLMAO:

in all honesty, the guy/girl was a dickhead.
i used to do tricks like that 35 years ago (exuberant youth and invincible) but i've calmed down a bit now :RollEyes:

OP
OP
journeyman
Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
C'mon Pappa, your defending the indefensible.

yeah....but its kept the thread lively :ROFLMAO:

in all honesty, the guy/girl was a dickhead.
i used to do tricks like that 35 years ago (exuberant youth and invincible) but i've calmed down a bit now :RollEyes:

Thank God, I thought the world had tilted slightly more on its axis!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have three pet hates while driving.....

drivers who will not overtake unless the road is clear into the next county, making it even harder to overtake if there are two such drivers in convoy....usually these drivers are following a tractor at 35mph oblivious to the line of 30 cars behind them.

drivers who will not enter a roundabout if there is ANY other traffic in view even if its stationary.

inconsiderate tractor drivers....someone should explain the road rules applicable to slow moving vehicles.

D

DM14742

Deleted User

Is this a wind up?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Pull over!
Pull over!

When I'm trying to get to a meeting in time, there's nothing worse than being stuck behind a purblind owld gimmer in a big white overloaded glassfibre box.

Some of us need to use the roads; we are not just playing at it .
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back