French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi, we are a young couple with 2 small kids and we are considering buying a motorhome. (we have tried everything else!) we have noticed that there are quite a few different styles such as the ones with the bed over the cab etc and wondered if anyone can give any advice on which styles are the best and why?
Thanks in advance!

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Can't comment on other layouts but we have a front dinette with double bed in the Luton over the cab when we take our grandson with us he sleeps up there and we can still sit and do whatever
All depends on how much you want to spend ???
End lounge with front dinette would also work well
Best advice is get to as many dealers as possible and look at as many vans as you can before deciding

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've just gone through this, but it depends to some extent on your budget.

Two children mean two beds, usually. Plus one for you and your lady.

So that's usually an over-cab bed, a dining area bed and a rear bed of some sort.

You can have the rear bed as a U-shaped lounge area if that's what you'd like, or a fixed bed with good storage underneath. Don't underestimate storage with kids!

The dinette bed could be a single or double, depending on layout.

Or you could find a model with bunks. That'll save alot of space.

We found by far the best way forward was to rent one or two. Which we did. We learnt a lot about what we wanted and, more importantly, what we didn't want. That was both in terms of layout and quality. And price.

So, we ended up (or will in 2 weeks I hope!) with an A-Class with a bar-version layout (single dinette bed) and fixed rear bed with overcab double. Suits us just fine.

PLEASE look and take your time. It's an expensive mistake to make if you get it wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Look at loads and hire a couple of times before you buy,otherwise it can be a very expensive way to find out what you DON'T want .
Just saw that Bellini beat me by 2 min::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As people have already said LAYOUT is the most important thing --look at lots,try then decide :thumb:what works for you may not work for others ::bigsmile:Luton/overcab beds may work for lots but not for us same as dinettes :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We travel a lot with our grandkids and other family members.

Our prefered layout is overhead bunk, front dinette and rear U lounge..

This is theory gives 6 sleeping places... The rear lounge changes in less than 2 minutes to a huge bed. Dinette also becomes a small double bed..
Motorhoming is a lovely when your out in the sun and can be sat outside BUT consider bad weather and cold nights.. With kids it's nice to have some working space.. The lounge area keeps them away and somewhere to play / be entertained while cooking is taking place. You have the dinette area for meals and somewhere if they want to play on a table while you lounge about in the back..

At night, put them in the lounge bed and you can close off the rear. Leaving adults somewhere to sit at night and can still put the kettle on..

As a minimum you need a dinette area and 2 rear seat belts....

I notice you list location as France, the rear U lounge is more a Brit thing so may not be found in many continental vans..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
thanks for your replies everyone, we have got to try and keep it a bit smaller as my husband needs to use it for work too, so one with an over cab bed and bunks would be great (still wondering how a 2yr old and a 5yr old will get on sleeping in the same bed!) but there are so many different makes and models its hard to know which is best. there arn't any big dealers around us to go and have a mooch round either.
has anyone got one of the ones with the pull down bed over the cab?

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You don't need to look far for good vans in France.

Check out the Challenger brand, they make some really good family vans. They are sold over here as Chausson.

http://www.challenger.tm.fr/en/birthday-birthday-33

Also, before you buy, identify what your intended use will be. You can save a fortune on ski holidays to the Alps, but you need a van capable of surviving the low temperatures.
You live in a country which is a paradise for motorhomes, if you use the Aire du service camping car network, you will have some very enjoyable and inexpensive adventures.
A popular layout you might consider which will give a good compromise between space, storage and size, might be a 6 berth coach built over cab model with rear bunks. The lower rear bunk can fold up to allow the space to double up as a garage. Kids can use the bunks, Mama et Papa can use the overcab bed, the lounge can stay set up.
The overcab on those Challengers/Chausson vans is HUGE. I can sit up and read in ours with no problems!:thumb:

Good luck with your search!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I would also think about where the kids will sleep in a couple of years time.
At five and two I should think they'll be happy to share a bed.

But in a brief couple of years they might not be so happy to do so.

Ours (nine and five) don't like sharing anymore, we are looking to change van, our perfect layout is this Link Removed you get a bed for us, bunks for the kids, a dinette plus bench, which we consider essential for lounging :Smile:

Might be a tad large for you though !

Good luck with your search

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We take our niece and nephew. They have stopped sharing the overcab now. We have to make up a lounge bed for the lad.
Our layout consists of 3 doubles.
I think the bunks are essential for mixed sex kids as they get older.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Thanks Guys, the ones with the bunks would def be the best but typically all seem to be miles away or too old for the money compared to ones without bunks. will carry on looking, not in a major hurry. Are the flatter vans better on fuel than the ones with over cab beds?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, I agree with a lot that has been said but a couple of things to consider before you get anywhere near a motorhome!

How do you intend to 'holiday' with the MH?
Are you the type that will stay on a site for a week or more, or do you intend to travel round, stopping only a day or two in one place? If the former then a MH might not be the best thing for you and maybe a caravan would be better (sorry for using the 'c' word :RollEyes:), if the latter, then a MH would seem more suited.

Practical Usability
You then have to consider how the size of a MH will affect you going out for day visits, shopping etc as parking will be more difficult the larger it is so a second form of transport may need to be considered.

Other usage
You say your hubby will need to use the MH for work ... not sure what this means in reality for you, is this just commuting, or actually as a works vehicle? If the former then the size may not be such a restrictive factor, however if the latter then this could cause problems if it is too big and also insurance might also be an issue/expensive.

These are just a few initial thoughts and are by no means meant to dissuade you but it certainly needs careful though to avoid making a decision which could be very expensive if you get it wrong.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Been there and got the t shirt...

I would suggest a rear bunk bed model :thumb:

Kids get there own space and so do you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

French1

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
France
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Hi, I agree with a lot that has been said but a couple of things to consider before you get anywhere near a motorhome!

How do you intend to 'holiday' with the MH?
Are you the type that will stay on a site for a week or more, or do you intend to travel round, stopping only a day or two in one place? If the former then a MH might not be the best thing for you and maybe a caravan would be better (sorry for using the 'c' word :RollEyes:), if the latter, then a MH would seem more suited.

Practical Usability
You then have to consider how the size of a MH will affect you going out for day visits, shopping etc as parking will be more difficult the larger it is so a second form of transport may need to be considered.

Other usage
You say your hubby will need to use the MH for work ... not sure what this means in reality for you, is this just commuting, or actually as a works vehicle? If the former then the size may not be such a restrictive factor, however if the latter then this could cause problems if it is too big and also insurance might also be an issue/expensive.

These are just a few initial thoughts and are by no means meant to dissuade you but it certainly needs careful though to avoid making a decision which could be very expensive if you get it wrong.

Thanks for the advice Minx, it certainly makes sense. we have done the caravan thing, the boat thing, the holiday home thing, latest thing being the trailer tent, but have come to the conclusion that because we get away so little that we would probably see and do more taking short breaks and moving around more, so thats why we are looking at motorhomes. this is coupled with the fact that my hubby has to often catch flights at very random places and time for his job (driving band buses) so he was looking for a camper he can use to stop in when he goes to paris etc instead of getting up at silly oclock to get to airports via train before having to drive a coach. So we want a multipurpose van really.
thanks for your advice i really dont want to make a huge mistake in what we buy!

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Nice looking van moho
We viewed it on sunday, most disappointed.

Iveco part was perfect, outside was perfect, both just like new.

We really wanted it to be the van for us, have been eyeing it for a few weeks, did 180mile round trip to view.

Inside, nearly every locker hinge had come away from cabinet or door and not easily repairable. Shower door in a bad way and appeared to be badly designed, not just a case of expensive replacement.
Slightly disappointed at the interior quality, particularly the wood.

Couldn't bring myself to part with anything close to 33k for it, so walked away.

>>>>French 1, I think that you are right to take your time, just as we are.
I'm certain the right van for you will come up, bunk models seem very popular on the Continent...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Which van

thanks for your replies everyone, we have got to try and keep it a bit smaller as my husband needs to use it for work too, so one with an over cab bed and bunks would be great (still wondering how a 2yr old and a 5yr old will get on sleeping in the same bed!) but there are so many different makes and models its hard to know which is best. there arn't any big dealers around us to go and have a mooch round either.
has anyone got one of the ones with the pull down bed over the cab?

Hi, yes, ours has a drop down double bed, plus a 3/4 bed on one side of the lounge and a single on the other, all in 6.3m. As it happens, our daughter, her husband and their two. Kids aged 15 and 4 are using it this week and getting on fine. The little one is sleeping in the drop down bed, which has a 1ft high safety net.

The van has two forward facing seats in the lounge with seat belts and is perfect for a family of four, but in fairness, I wouldn't recommend an A class as a suitable vehicle for work commuting, unless you only use wide roads and have lots if room to park. But if you do opt for an A class, you have plenty of choice of either French, German or Italian vans. Happy hunting! Gary

Upvote 0

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
we have a hymer camp.
she is 25 years old and has a double if not almost kingsize bed over the cab for us so no bed making.
there is a 4 seater dining area that mekes into a big doble as it has pull outs at the end of the seats.however we only use that for seating.is comy and loungeable.
at the rear we have another l-shaped diner wich the 8 year old uses.we leave it made in a bed for her.the l-shaped bit accomodates her toys etc and there is a pull around curtain.also the tv arm will turn toface the rrear so she can watch tv in bed if she wants.some models do a pull down bunk.this would be great for another child..ours is the length of our drive and so is easy to park.the driver seat swivels all the way round and because my hubby is tall he says he feels out of the way here.i am going to have a go at making cab curtains to go around the rear of this seat when its facing the back of the van.
it works for us.my main bug bear was bed making(we all find sleeping bags uncomfortable) and with this van i have none

Upvote 0

firebird123

Free Member
Nov 9, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
i am a newbie
where the bed is ?

what are the benefits of main bed location,ie end bed or mid bed, getting a Motorhome soon but this part confuses me?

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
what are the benefits of main bed location,ie end bed or mid bed, getting a Motorhome soon but this part confuses me?

Hi and welcome Firebird, It's just down to personal preference on the bed location :thumb:Some prefer a rear fixed bed while others like the rear U shaped lounge that you can leave as a bed if you want ---for us after trying most layouts we decided on two singles at the front can can be made into a 6ft 6 ins sq if required -this gives us plenty of space and when visitors arrive we have two long bench seats and the front seats that swivel so bringing everyone into one large area :thumb:-- mate has a rear U lounge with bathroom/ kitchen in middle then the dinette making 2 different areas that are seperate so only a couple of people end up talking around the loo,:Smile:hence they always end up in our van :Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
What van

Hi Firebird,

If you haven't already been can I suggest you visit Lee and his dad who own and run Edgehill Motorhomes at Mansfield Woodhouse. They are a smallish family company but have a good stock of vans from old to new and they are steeped in motorhome knowledge. We part xed our last van for our current one with them and they were brilliant.

Happy hunting, gary

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back