Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hello all,
I would be grateful, if anyone could help me with a problem I have. regarding my Truma Heater. When working on EHU it works fine, with no problems. Recently however, when using it on Gas, it will stay lit for approx. 7-8 minutes before going out. I do not think it is a Gas problem, as the Water Heater ( Truma Ultra Store works fine on Gas without any problems. By the way, I'm using the Heater on its own, i.e. without the Gas Cooker, or the Water Heater on at the same time. My M/H is an Elddis Autoquest 130, and just 3 years old last month. The last time I used the Heater on Gas was probably way back in the cold spell in March of this year, although I have used the cooker and water Heater on numerous occasions since, without problems. I do not think it is a Gas Regulator problem. The only thing I can think of is that the flame detection probe is on its way out. Any thoughts on my query would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks. BillyS

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if I am understanding this right ::bigsmile:Its working on HU but not on battery correct ?If so thats pointing to a drain on the battery side of things IE something pulling the voltage down -they are very suseptable to low voltage.Something be it a light bad earth or something could be interfering with it or it could be as simple as the LB on its way out and not providing the required voltage
Try testing the power at the heater to see if its getting the correct voltage
If all else fails try ringing Truma (derby) they will put you onto a techy guy who will point you in the right direction :thumb: but you need to understand a good bit about leccy or write down /record what he tells you :thumb:Then work your way through it :winky:Or if like me get a mate to do it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:I understand a lot and can explain to my mate who not only can understand what I am telling him but more to the point can do it ::bigsmile::winky:
The boss only lets me touch 3 pin plugs and although I can do a lot more I like it that way :thumb::Smile:so she gets my mate Paul ::bigsmile: everybody should have a Paul :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Truma Heater Problem

I think you have misunderstood my post. The problem I am having with my Heater, is when it is on GAS , and not on EHU. I have a strong feeliing the Flame Detection Probe ( Thermocouple ) is faulty. I have booked my M/H in at Todds in Preston on 13th Nov. This is the earliest they can get to book it in. Thanks for replying anyway. Regards. BillyS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Billy, like Terry said though, it might be worth phoning Truma and seeing what they say so that when you do take it to Todds you know what is probably wrong and won't be paying them for something that isn't or for their inspection to find the fault.:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Billy I think you are misunderstanding ::bigsmile: for your heater to work on gas it needs 12v supply :winky:
Terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Don't know a great deal about these, is it a blow air system or just a gas fire style one. If blow air is the fan coming on and staying on as the gas will turn off if the fan stops. Also is the vent clear as I don't think it will work if its blocked.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Billy I have a little more time while cooking dinner so if it burns its your fault ::bigsmile: you say it's fine on hook up but does not work after 7 / 8 mins on battery power ? Hence pointing to 12v supply :thumb:
I may be wrong but I don't thinkyour heater has a thermocouple it's all controlled by the PCB =low power =shutdown :Smile: bloody hell forgot to light oven for our yorkshie puds :Doh:
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, is that EVERY Truma gas heater? I didn't realise that, if it is.:Sad:

Hi Joy like I said not sure :winky: Dave Newell will know :thumb: he may even come on and tell me I am wrong ::bigsmile: he does them day in day out - it's a long time since for me and I have slept since then ::bigsmile: hence not sure
Terry

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Truma Heater problem

Hi Billy I think you are misunderstanding ::bigsmile: for your heater to work on gas it needs 12v supply :winky:
Terry

Hi Terry,
Thanks for your reply.
The fan on the heater works OK, this must therefore be 12v, as I was at a C& CC DA meet at Ripon Racecourse yesterday. I was pitched on grass, with no EHU, only my Leisure Battery. The Water Heater worked a treat, and heated the water no bother. The Gas Fire would light, and stay lit for approx 7-8 minutes, while the fan was still running, and then extinguish. The fan kept running afterwards. Hope this clarifies my explanation of the problem. Thanks BillyS

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hi Joy like I said not sure :winky: Dave Newell will know :thumb: he may even come on and tell me I am wrong ::bigsmile: he does them day in day out - it's a long time since for me and I have slept since then ::bigsmile: hence not sure
Terry

Terry,
Just a question. On a convential Gas fire and Boiler also, ( I think) am I right in thinking that the Thermocouple keeps the Gas valve open?? Then sureley, no 12v would be needed to keep the Gas valve open , other than the miniscule mAs required, which is carried from the Thermocouple to the Gas valve, This small current energises the spring loaded solenoid vale, and is sufficient to keep the valve open. Thanks BillyS

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
From the description of the heater as a "fire" I'm guessing its a truma 3002 convector model. If that is correct then it does not need 12 volts to work on gas but 12 volts will be required for the blown air section. The fact that it lights and stays lit proves it has nothing to do with flame detection or thermocouple but is most likely a thermostat/temp sensor issue. The temperature sensor is a copper tube about four inches long and half an inch diameter held in a metal clip at the bottom of the heater assembly, you need to remove the fire front to see it, simply pull the front away at the top then lift it off its supporting brackets. There should not be any screws holding the fire front on but some installers have been known to put osme in to cover up their poor installation. The only other possibility that springs to mind is a restriction in th combustion air flow causing the flame to lift off the burner after a few minutes andn then go out once the thermocouple has cooled. Its probably due a service.

D.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
From the description of the heater as a "fire" I'm guessing its a truma 3002 convector model. If that is correct then it does not need 12 volts to work on gas but 12 volts will be required for the blown air section. The fact that it lights and stays lit proves it has nothing to do with flame detection or thermocouple but is most likely a thermostat/temp sensor issue. The temperature sensor is a copper tube about four inches long and half an inch diameter held in a metal clip at the bottom of the heater assembly, you need to remove the fire front to see it, simply pull the front away at the top then lift it off its supporting brackets. There should not be any screws holding the fire front on but some installers have been known to put osme in to cover up their poor installation. The only other possibility that springs to mind is a restriction in th combustion air flow causing the flame to lift off the burner after a few minutes andn then go out once the thermocouple has cooled. Its probably due a service.

D.

Many thanks Dave. I have only owned the M/H for 10 months, since bying it from Todds at Preston last Mid- December. I will give Truma a ring tomorrow to get some idea of the problem, and possibly a rough idea of the work involved, plus an idea of what it will cost to replace the faulty part. Thanks again. BillyS

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Many thanks Dave. I have only owned the M/H for 10 months, since bying it from Todds at Preston last Mid- December. I will give Truma a ring tomorrow to get some idea of the problem, and possibly a rough idea of the work involved, plus an idea of what it will cost to replace the faulty part. Thanks again. BillyS

Before you phone Truma why not remove the fire front (I'm assuming as you haven't said otherwise that my assumption of it being a 3002 is correct) and check that the temp sensor is in tact and in place. you could also light the fire with the front off and view the flame through the sight glass on the front and see if it is lifting off after a while.

D.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Before you phone Truma why not remove the fire front (I'm assuming as you haven't said otherwise that my assumption of it being a 3002 is correct) and check that the temp sensor is in tact and in place. you could also light the fire with the front off and view the flame through the sight glass on the front and see if it is lifting off after a while.

D.

Thanks again for your help Dave. I don't know whether I'll have time tomorrow to do as you suggest, i.e.remove the front, etc. The reason being, I have volunteered to offer my time to my Local C& CC DA tomorrow, in errecting their Marquis for Fridays Meet. If I have time tomorrow, then I'll give it a go,if not, then I will have a look the next day. Hope tommorrow night won't be too cold, as I'm staying overnight on the field without my Heater working !!!!!

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
I haven't had a chance to look at the Name Plate to see what type of Heater it is. All I know, is that it is a Truma Heater, both Gas and Electric, with a Fan, and Blown Air Ducting. You are probably right in the Model Type, but I haven't had time to verify it. I only just got back from a DA meet at Ripon Race Course this afternoon, and off again tomorrow . Thanks again BillyS

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Billy you say it works fine on hook up, thats why I was/am thinking along the lines 12v system
On HU your charger will be topping up the 12v system which may be slightly low--- be interesting to know which system , model you have.
To me the only thing difference between HU and not is the 12v
Terry

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Morning Billy you say it works fine on hook up, thats why I was/am thinking along the lines 12v system
On HU your charger will be topping up the 12v system which may be slightly low--- be interesting to know which system , model you have.
To me the only thing difference between HU and not is the 12v
Terry

Morning Terry,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, if you misunderstood me. What I meant to say,is, that when I am on EHU, the heater will only work on Mains Electrics, and not on Gas. The Water Heater and Cooker work on Gas fine, with no problems. I am currently on EHU on my Drive at home, and tried the Heater on Gas last night. It would only stay on for a minute or so,before going out. Thanks. BillyS

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Aaaaah , I did say in my first post IF I am understanding right ::bigsmile:
Never mind it may help someone else :winky: