Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,just a general question to those who store their vans how much does it cost for a year mine has just gone up to £450 a year its a fenced compound outside ,in an industrial park the good thing is its only 20 mins walk away ,I have got room on my drive but I dont really want to keep it there but if it goes up much more I may have to :Eeek:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Mines in inside storeage I will only use it 6 months at £14 a week. 5 mins walk away.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mike, my storage is outside at a farm but there is a locked gate and ctv tv .. it is approx £350 pa and is ten mins drive up East Lancs. If you want info pm me. Joy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Storage.

Hi mike.
We use a place just outside of Nantwich. Cassoa gold registered. £250 for the year. That's for a 7.5mtr motorhome. The name of it is Cockshades based at Shavington. If you go to the Cassoa site, there all listed.
Good luck. Bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mine is parked on the car park behind my flat, costs me nothing. BUSBY::bigsmile:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i looked into putting my motorhome into a gold standard secure site a few miles away from my house a while ago and was quoted about £400 a year . the weird thing was that even though the site itself was like fort knox it was {as far as my insurance company was concerned}situated in a higher crime rated postcode than my own home . therefore my premium would have to go up £150 pa compared to keeping it on my drive behind locked gates !!! regards garry

Angus dog

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2013
Your query encouraged me to make enquiries about storage in NI.I spoke to the dealer from whom we bought earlier this year :£50 per quarter on secure premises.I have to check with my insurer whether there would be any additional premium but it sounds like good value to me.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you can fit it on your drive why pay for storage ?
Mines at home where I can keep my eye on it ,saves any worry about what might be happening !

Vlad

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you can fit it on your drive why pay for storage ?
Mines at home where I can keep my eye on it ,saves any worry about what might be happening !

Vlad

Mike lives near me and believe me I sat up half the night worrying. I had bricks thrown at it, on the roof near the solar panel .... scratches ... it was costing me a fortune to have it seen to. Jealous neighbours are the worst vandals anyone can have.:Sad:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Such people are w&nkers,if anyone did that to me I'd find out who it was and make them pay!
A good reason to use storage though,:thumb:

Vlad

lilac lill

Free Member
Sep 15, 2012
Worksop
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt - I think!
Exp
Since 01/09/12
Madge is on a Cassoa Gold place, outdoor storage at £300 per year - was the same price last year also.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Going to see a place on the Wirral Friday, £300pa Walking distance from were I live.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
About £340 pa, very secure site but not CASSOA registered, about 7 miles from home. Took ages to get a spot there.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Cassoa Gold outdoor storage at Don Amott Leisureworld. Around £350 a year. I had ours at home for a few years and our shared driveway plus the steep angle (overhang hits on the road) and the fact that I really wasn't keen that all the neighbours and locals knew when we were away, meant it had little to no use for years.......:Eeek: So moved to storage now and aim to start using it much more, soon.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but my RMB (when I get it in a few weeks) will go into storage 30 minutes drive from where we live, in a heated and fully insured undercover compound.

The cost is £25/week, but I won't have to worry about frost, emptying water tanks or damp when not being used. And they put the batteries on trickle charge whilst there. And run the engine regularly if not used. And because it'll be fully insured by the storage company whilst there, there's a potential saving there. Well, maybe.

I've looked around a lot and just can't reconcile the lower cost of anywhere else compared to what this storage location offers.

And I hope / like to think my RMB is worth it.

I suppose time will tell if it's a good decision.

Oh yes, don't have space on the drive. We own four cars and can't bear to part with any of them to make room. :Doh:

Last edited:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
compound in Rochester kent about £400 per year, if you keep it at home, everybody knows when you are on holiday and your home is empty, very interesting to burgulars

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
OMG , I pay £840 here on a cc storage site , mind you, it is near central London. I do sleep better knowing its tucked up safe . My old van was parked outside and I was never able to sleep soundly, every noise I was up looking :Eeek:

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
Mines in a cassoa gold site, only about £200 per year and means I can now get in my garage::bigsmile:however it is also less obvious as people have said when you are away. However the drawback for me is the collecting/leaving as I don't have another driver, took her back to storage unit yesterday and it took three hours and involved a train a taxi and a 2 mile walk!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, but my RMB (when I get it in a few weeks) will go into storage 30 minutes drive from where we live, in a heated and fully insured undercover compound.

The cost is £25/week, but I won't have to worry about frost, emptying water tanks or damp when not being used. And they put the batteries on trickle charge whilst there. And run the engine regularly if not used. And because it'll be fully insured by the storage company whilst there, there's a potential saving there. Well, maybe.

I've looked around a lot and just can't reconcile the lower cost of anywhere else compared to what this storage location offers.

And I hope / like to think my RMB is worth it.

I suppose time will tell if it's a good decision.
Oh yes, don't have space on the drive. We own four cars and can't bear to part with any of them to make room. :Doh:
Running the engine without taking it up to temp and giving it a good run will do more harm than good. BUSBY:Smile:

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Lucky to have a mother with a large driveway, so even when we are away fair chance they are still at home.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Storage

Ours is on a Cassoa Gold award outdoor site for £420 a year. Ten minutes drive away & we can leave our car in the spot when we take the van away.

We had to go down this route because when I recently insured I found that I could'nt get cover for being parked on a spot I was renting off a local farmer,even though I could see it from our bedroom window! (Not gated,just on a small plot of grass).

It was parked there for 4 months leading up to re insuring so I guess that if it had been stolen/broken in to we would'nt have had any insurance cover:Eeek:.

Glad I did'nt know at the time. I would'nt have slept a wink.

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
....... And run the engine regularly if not used.......
Better not to run it Bellini.
Acids build up in the oil on short runs and don't get evaporated until the engine is up to full heat (which does not happen unless driven on the road). Those acids can make a mess, especially to the bearings.

Absolute best solution is to change the oil after you park it up, then crank it over, but don't allow it to start.

Cheers,
Peter

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Yes, I'm aware of that and wasn't clear in my explanation. My apologies.

The storage facility runs the engines AND the vehicles up to temperature on a private road in all gears.

To be honest, that option isn't something I wish to exploit. I'd rather take the thing out myself and have a weekend away. But it's included in the price and could be handy for extended storage periods where work / lack of time gets in the way. I'm very fussy about others driving my cars, as I'm sure many on here are as well.

But it's good to know there's many here who 'get' how engines don't like to be left idling once started.

As important, especially on forced-induction engines, is to let them idle before shutting them down.

On my tuned 300Tdi 110 LR, I have an exhaust gas temp gauge which I monitor until it hits 160'C before shutdown. I think my RMB may get an identical gauge as it tells you quite a lot about how the engine is running.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
How do you know if you have a forced-induction engine, please?

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Rosie is at a non-CASSOA but reasonable secure site around 5 mins drive/30 mins walk away, £230 per annum.

I'm interested in people's comments about the pros and cons of storage v. on the drive at home; we currently don't have the option to keep at home (terraced house, busy road) but we're planning to move (downsizing) and high on our priorities at the moment would be somewhere to keep the MH at home. It's not that storage is such a major cost or hassle, it just seems such an attractive idea to have her right outside, ready for the off, and handy for minor repairs, maintenance, and just messing about in. Having read other's comments however about damage by jealous neighbours, burglars knowing you're away, etc., I'm having second thoughts....:Sad:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
For me, the biggest issue is potential criminals can easily clock your movements if you keep the MH on the drive, and go away, say, every weekend. I would rather strangers had no idea who was or was not home, personally.

We had our MH at home for a few years before moving to a secure storage site. Even toyed with the idea of buying or renting a small commercial unit to store it in, but could not find anything affordable or suitable locally, nor can I find any indoor storage. It was great being able to pop out and do things, or just be able to leave directly from home, but that was outweighed by the concerns about security.

The jealous neighbour issue is also something to consider seriously, having been in that situation ourselves in the past as well.

My ideal situation would be indoor storage very close to home with an EHU and possible water facility as well, but currently Cassoa Gold outdoor storage will have to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back