gaslow..at home? (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
We have bottled Gas at home for the cooker. at present we have 2x45kg bottles which were last changed out about 4 years ago. They ran out last week so ive just used one of the 13kg bottles from the van...and that got me thinking

If i put gaslow (or a.n.other refillable system) in the van and had 2 bottles...one in the van and one for the cooker in the house - attached to the existing LPG pipework and regulator...i could then swap them around to refill etc as and when needed

Would that work do you think - would i need to change out the regulator for the house supply etc?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We have bottled Gas at home for the cooker. at present we have 2x45kg bottles which were last changed out about 4 years ago. They ran out last week so ive just used one of the 13kg bottles from the van...and that got me thinking

If i put gaslow (or a.n.other refillable system) in the van and had 2 bottles...one in the van and one for the cooker in the house - attached to the existing LPG pipework and regulator...i could then swap them around to refill etc as and when needed

Would that work do you think - would i need to change out the regulator for the house supply etc?

Hi firstly it's cheaper to buy the large bottles of gas than fill one with LPG :thumb: so why bother paying a few hundred quid for refillable bottles to have to pay more for lpg :winky:you already swpped out for emergency ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
additional part of the challenge is that our 2x47kg bottles are flowgas...and there isnt any where locally that will deliver anymore (Calor have taken over!!)

so I had thought that we would have to go an 'buy' new calor ones anyway, hence looking at the additional option of going over to refillable

However - id not realised, only just discovered after posting, that i could take two unused calor butane bottles and change them over for propane..and avoid the upfront hire charge...which ill be doing later today:thumb:

just need to find a way of getting the old flow gas bottles returned now!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I know of many caravanners who have a gaslow filler fitted to their car and who attach and fill their red calor bottles in the boot as if they were filling the car up to run on gas. However you need to have a completely empty calor bottle and need to know how many litres to put in as theres no float switch in the bottles to turn the pump off. :Eeek:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I know of many caravanners who have a gaslow filler fitted to their car and who attach and fill their red calor bottles in the boot as if they were filling the car up to run on gas. However you need to have a completely empty calor bottle and need to know how many litres to put in as theres no float switch in the bottles to turn the pump off. :Eeek:

Please post their names and car registrations so that I can avoid being on the same forecourt as them when they fill up. :imoutahere:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you considered a bulk LPG tank as used by some rural Hotels and pubs?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont forget you pay less than half the tax when using the gas for domestic heating/cooking. autogas is charged at full rate. so it works out cheaper to buy in either big bottles or use a bulk storage tank

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Have you considered a bulk LPG tank as used by some rural Hotels and pubs?

not really worth it given how much we use to be honest - 2x47kg in 4ish years

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
dont forget you pay less than half the tax when using the gas for domestic heating/cooking. autogas is charged at full rate. so it works out cheaper to buy in either big bottles or use a bulk storage tank

good point

idea has gone away now anyway::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
additional part of the challenge is that our 2x47kg bottles are flowgas...and there isnt any where locally that will deliver anymore (Calor have taken over!!)

so I had thought that we would have to go an 'buy' new calor ones anyway, hence looking at the additional option of going over to refillable

However - id not realised, only just discovered after posting, that i could take two unused calor butane bottles and change them over for propane..and avoid the upfront hire charge...which ill be doing later today:thumb:

just need to find a way of getting the old flow gas bottles returned now!!

dont bother....flogas dumped on you when they sold out.

take them to the rubbish tip/recycle centre or grab the local mobile scrap man and let him take them.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
flow gas are still going though . theres a big depot at the end of my road.
but usually there isnt deposit on there bottles if 19kg and above .
is it just op supplier changed suppliers .
might be worth checking flo gas outlets .Link Removed

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
flow gas are still going though . theres a big depot at the end of my road.
but usually there isnt deposit on there bottles if 19kg and above .
is it just op supplier changed suppliers .
might be worth checking flo gas outlets .Link Removed

nah - where we used to get the bottles from has moved over to Calor now, and the other 'stockists' dont do deliveries to our area without a delivery charge and no guarantee when they can deliver - could be upto 2 weeks as were too far out of their normal way etc etc etc...
so, as we have 2 calorplaces within a mile...and willdeliver for no charge anc an be same or next day..they win...

we get our bottles for the van from there too, so just going to cut out the 47kg ones for the house and rotate the van ones round...simples::bigsmile: (now any way!!)

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

take them to the rubbish tip/recycle centre or grab the local mobile scrap man and let him take them.

already have an idea for them down the garden as features...bit of paint and a plant pot on top should do nicely...might even get them looking like cousin it!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Try putting gas bottle wood burner in eBay , you will have a shock:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
already have an idea for them down the garden as features...bit of paint and a plant pot on top should do nicely...might even get them looking like cousin it!!

paint them grey, bury the valve end in the garden at a 45deg angle.
paint a few numbers and some German wording in a visible area......

that should cause a stir with the neighbours. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:..

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
paint them grey, bury the valve end in the garden at a 45deg angle.
paint a few numbers and some German wording in a visible area......

that should cause a stir with the neighbours. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:..

Brilliant!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back