Insurance help please! (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Having agreed to buy a Voyageur motorhome the next problem is insurance! This vehicle is currently in Spain, UK reg and RHD. The owner is not able to get in back to UK, and we are here in Spain as well, until December. So, does anyone know an insurer that will give cover to a vehicle being bought abroad? Conundrum!:helpsos:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As long as it has a current MOT then anyone will insure it to a UK address, if not you are stuffed and have to book an mot then drive it straight there.

Upvote 0

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Having agreed to buy a Voyageur motorhome the next problem is insurance! This vehicle is currently in Spain, UK reg and RHD. The owner is not able to get in back to UK, and we are here in Spain as well, until December. So, does anyone know an insurer that will give cover to a vehicle being bought abroad? Conundrum!:helpsos:

Liberty segrous , they will insure RHD and with english plates .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
A friend of mine had the same problem a couple of years ago. The cost to handle both Spanish and English insurance was horrific. The solution was for the seller to let the insurance run with any driver then once he docked in Dover he had arranged his English insurer to cover a usual one year policy.
Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I may be wrong, but I do believe that you have to pay back road tax on the Motorhome, if the vehicle has been out of the UK for a long time and it was not declared off the road. Just a thought, be careful as it could be quite a lot to pay.

Also HPI it!! just my thoughts.:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Liberty segrous , they will insure RHD and with english plates .

They also wanted me to take out home insurance as well! Also the cost was VERY high due to the value of the vehicle. Seem to have the answer with Aviva, and provided the van is tracker protected, then the price was £431. Very good with no NCB, and full value covered.

WILJOY, yes thought of that too, but once the vehicle is in our name then it has to be insured. I was not willing to pay LOADS of money and not own the van!

BILLY23, WILDMAN, no worries, it is taxed now and doesn't need an MOT for a year! HPI clear.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back