Phone tethering (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Far be it for me to save you some money, it's your money and you can spend it how you like , I know.
But the way you are all rushing out and buying dongles, I'm sure there are a lot on here that don't know that if you have a quite basic phone less than say 5 years old , and it can connect to Internet you can almost certainly tether it to iPads and tablets and wireless laptops and use it with your phone data allowance , no need for another , swapping sims and such, I'm saying this knowing that my daughter has had iPhones since they came out and she hadn't a clue about tethering till I showed her.
Most phones will have something in the settings or somewhere else like internet sharing or connect other devices , just go through it and you can connect anything to it.
I'm sorry if you all know this , just trying to save you spending on something you don't need::bigsmile:

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Think it all depends if your provider allows tethering in your contract but IPhone you cDNA create a hotspot and conect devices to that ok

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Good point. In the UK if you have a data plan then this would be a good route.

I have a dongle/mifi unit in addition to my phone tethering so that when not in the UK I can get a local data SIM for it rather than the phone (so that I can keep my mobile number operational and not juggle the SIMs in and out). Also, I have Voda in my phone and 3 on the mifi and if I'm ever out in the countryside then Vodafone normally finds no 3g but 3 has never let me down.

This may all change when the Euro mobile phone usage update thingy happens over the next year or so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I think this is a very useful tip. If anyone knows the blow by blow technique for making it happen I would be very grateful.

If you need suggestions for what to connect with what - I have a samsung galaxy S2 on Orange and a wifi only ipad.

Use me as a sample - please.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I think this is a very useful tip. If anyone knows the blow by blow technique for making it happen I would be very grateful.

If you need suggestions for what to connect with what - I have a samsung galaxy S2 on Orange and a wifi only ipad.

Hi if you go in to settings then wireless and network then go to tethering and portable hotspots

Once in there click portable wifi hotspot settings
Then highlight wifi hotspot
You can set a password in configure wifi hotspot

Hope this helps

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Settings, wireless and network, mobile ap, tick, follow instructions

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm lead to believe that all Androids can tether but that Iphones are dependant on the provider and contract as the software that enables your hotspot is only there if your contract permits it.
My 2yr Orange contract has ended so I called 150 for the "thinking of leaving us?" option.
I finished with 1.5gb data and unlimited everything else for £16 a month on 12 month contract.
I only use my vodafone dongle in the unlikely event that I cannot get an Orange/Tmobile/EE signal.
My contract is titled 16 Loyalty sim only. My 4s is still like new.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nokia windows phone
Settings, internet sharing, switch on, done.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Iphone with ios7
CA_10261320191298-M.jpg

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
If you look up 3 (which give the best connection in most parts of the country) then you need to be on the one plan. I WILL unlock the iPhone when the contract expires but there are other issues as well.

Drains battery fast on phone
Non unlocked phone can't use other sim
Easier to get other sim abroad
wife can use internet when I am out with phone
Wifi is faster
You can attach an Antenna

There is more but you should get my drift :thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol

This may help you if you read some of the posts

Link Removed

:thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Techno100 is right about iPhones in that they send a signal to the provider that it is being tethered. If the provider is happy then no problems.

A more battery efficient way of tethering is to use Bluetooth. The only problem with that is if you want to use Bluetooth for something else, such as handsfree headset or music streaming to your radio as you can only use Bluetooth for one connection.

Steve

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Hi if you go in to settings then wireless and network then go to tethering and portable hotspots

Once in there click portable wifi hotspot settings
Then highlight wifi hotspot
You can set a password in configure wifi hotspot

Hope this helps

Thank you so much, I followed all of that and I'll give it a go when I am next out and about.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have been tethering for yonks. ..it does not matter what your service provider thinks. If you have a Wifi app for tethering they never know. .

My recommend app is foxwifi...
Never let medown yet.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

i am with three plan 1, been on it ages,mainly for eurosport, but tv catchup internet every thing,my phone is samsung galaxy s11:shout:

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
Tethering

Techno100 is right about iPhones in that they send a signal to the provider that it is being tethered. If the provider is happy then no problems.

A more battery efficient way of tethering is to use Bluetooth. The only problem with that is if you want to use Bluetooth for something else, such as handsfree headset or music streaming to your radio as you can only use Bluetooth for one connection.

Steve

Try hooking up using USB, charges your phone at the same time as making you safer from prying eyes ::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have a 3 contract phone,samsung with unlimited data (£10 a month),but my contract says no tethering,how i get around this is i use a app called FoxFi tethers no problem.:thumb:
when in the motorhome i just leave the phone on charge all day and night and have a constant wifi hotspot:thumb:

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
iPhone 5 Users. I have an iPhone 5 on 3, with tethering allowed. However I've found the antenna on the iPhone is poor and quite often don't get a strong signal in the van. I also have a 3 Mifi, on payg and tend to use that as its signal strength is always better than the iPhone.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Were with Tesco and no tethering allowed:cry:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

call in your 3 shop upgrade to unlimited broadband [tethering ] mine costs me £29.00 a month, turn phone on apps - settings - more settings - tethering & portable hotspots portable wi - fi [on] usb tethering [need conecting lead ] from computer to phone:ROFLMAO:

i have a 3 contract phone,samsung with unlimited data (£10 a month),but my contract says no tethering,how i get around this is i use a app called FoxFi tethers no problem.:thumb:
when in the motorhome i just leave the phone on charge all day and night and have a constant wifi hotspot:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back