Please explain the scams (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I keep seeing the warnings about the scam motorhomes on Ebay, can someone explain to me how this works, what exactly is the scam? Sorry if that seems a dumb question :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you mean you want a DIY scam tutorial???????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

basically the advertiser does not own the motorhome he is advertising and often not even the ebay account he is using, everyone loses.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This will give you a bit of reading...
http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums...cle-Scam-Barclays-provide-Fraudsters-Accounts

I feel really sorry for anyone who has lost money BUT how can anyone just send money to people for something they have not seen when it's as big as a Motorhome..!!
It's not like ordering a pair of jeans...
As we are motorhomers and have some idea on what things cost then hopefully we can see when something does not look right and is TO cheap...
Go on Gumtree you will soon find a few....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Surely people don't actually buy a motorhome from an advert without going to see it?? That is what is confusing me about how the scam works but if people do actually pay without going to see it well then I am thinking they are daft, or am I being harsh here? :RollEyes:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thanks for putting up that link Tonka - interesting reading.

I suppose we all accept that you purchase something off e-bay, you pays your money and it arrives in the post. But the amounts of money mentioned in that link, it boggles the brain! Still it's easy for me to sit here and say 'how on earth'... but then when excitement takes over at being able to get hold of something, the brains go out the window I suspect. Feel sorry for all of them.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You are only fully protected on ebay if you pay by PayPal, all the scams get you to transfer the money by other means.

If the seller does not reply or ignore or provide an acceptable settlement, ebay can refund you and then take the money out of the sellers PayPal accounnt

Peter

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This will give you a bit of reading...
http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums...cle-Scam-Barclays-provide-Fraudsters-Accounts

I feel really sorry for anyone who has lost money BUT how can anyone just send money to people for something they have not seen when it's as big as a Motorhome..!!
It's not like ordering a pair of jeans...
As we are motorhomers and have some idea on what things cost then hopefully we can see when something does not look right and is TO cheap...
Go on Gumtree you will soon find a few....

One word GREED. BUSBY:Smile:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
The first clue is that the price of the motorhome is seriously attractive; it will be massively underpriced. This will of course attract your attention and you will be keen to win the auction as quickly as possible.

The seller will encourage you to believe that it can be reserved provided you pay the deposit. In effect they hope to do a full scam and get the full asking price out of you. But, they will accept the option of just stealing the deposit from you.

When I was interested in one of these scams I knew right off the bat that I would not part with a penny unless the vehicle was in front of me with all the right paperwork.

I did wonder how the scam got past ebay and I did find out. I noticed that when I clicked on the item in ebay the screen refreshed itself after about one tenth of a second. The lister had figured out how to take me from the ebay site to his own site.

You might notice that normally you can not make contact with the seller except through email. Ebay prevent this. But, the scammer puts a screen up that shows his email address.

You might be told that the motorhome is part of a divorce settlement, you might be told it is in Europe and of no use because it is right hand drive. You might be told that the owner is away on a cruise and that you are dealing with the company holding it in a secure yard.

These are the clues folks. Don't ever suspect that ebay will give a damn if you complain, they won't even reply in most instances.

You have been fully warned.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Surely people don't actually buy a motorhome from an advert without going to see it?? That is what is confusing me about how the scam works but if people do actually pay without going to see it well then I am thinking they are daft, or am I being harsh here? :RollEyes:

Yes they do sold my self build on ebay
Fella came rolled out used cash
Then looked at the truck started it
Said half a tank how far will that get me
Last I saw of him

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
no scam works without the greed of the victim from the corner trick to ponzi its all down to people beliving they will get more than they should

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
fulls and there money as they say tuch it fell it check it and documents with dvla buy it :thumb:and bought lodes of vehicles and vans never been even near scamed
but

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
scams and frauds rely on the simple fact that somebody will be dishonest or stupid enough to believe they are getting a bargain deal and beating the system.
if anyone asks for a large non refundable deposit or is not keen for you to see the van or whatever in person along with genuine paperwork you can check on the phone with dvla whilst there, then walk away and report it

conmen are clever, the mugs they rip off are not.... i know that it sounds very harsh, but generally thats what you see time and again

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi CB to put in very easy to understand
van will be about 1/3 of normal prices::bigsmile:
usually far flug Scotland or Cornwall --too far to view easy :Smile:
Seller works away-in forces-oil rigs etc:Smile:
pay money in full into holding accout until delivered then you release funds when happy :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:---NO SUCH THING money already gone,same with deposit if you don;t pay in full ::bigsmile:
no protection from ebay or paypal because they sent you false account info which you payed money into :Doh::Doh::Doh::cry:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And for those who cannot figure out how on earth you can pay money in to a bank account and not get it back..

Well I am not gonna go in to details for obvious reasons, but usually it involves some poor ( dim ) pot-less student who thinks they are gonna make money easily, and very often a certain bank that begins with B who do not run decent checks on hew accounts

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I don't mean to sound harsh but I am quite stunned at people's stupidity or, to be kinder, gullibility. Maybe with the number of scams that seem to be so prevalent nowadays there should be lessons in school on life skills and how to survive in the big wide world rather than teaching trigonometry :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I don't mean to sound harsh but I am quite stunned at people's stupidity or, to be kinder, gullibility. Maybe with the number of scams that seem to be so prevalent nowadays there should be lessons in school on life skills and how to survive in the big wide world [HI]rather than teaching trigonometry [/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Without trigonometry how are they going to figure out all the angles?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back