Has anyone been burgled (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This keeps cropping up, so has anyone on here actually been burgled or gassed while asleep in the mh in motorway aires or camps or anywhere, not meaning having stuff stolen when you are not there or bikes off the back or stuff you have left outside or even someone dipping in through an open window to pinch a satnav or wallet but actually while you are there in the van ,someone breaking in.
Not your friends aunties lodger but you.:thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The gassing while asleep us an urban myth. According to quite a few experts, they would need a huge amount of gas to have any effect on anyone inside.
As to the rest, no, never had any problems like that
Allan

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No me neither but just wondering if we had been lucky or if it all a myth, we have parked all over including motorway aires and never seen anything :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know about gassing, but there was a Funster on here a couple of years ago who was at Stratford with us. He had a self-conversion van.

Whilst they were asleep in it, someone came in and actually took his wallet from where he tucks it under his mattress whilst they were asleep. I have forgotten what else they took but they had to stretch over the bed to reach it. Sorry, cannot remember the funster but they had a white converted van.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not quite the same thing, but two years ago I parked on a motorway service station down south, and went for a coffee and breakfast.

Decided not to stay in and eat and just got coffee to take back to my van. I had been gone about five minutes. As I walked back two men ran off, jumped in a lorry and sped away.

They had removed the window from my habitation door, I guess with a view to putting hand in to open it and enter. If I had got back two mins later, they would have been in there when I got in.:Angry:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not quite the same thing, but two years ago I parked on a motorway service station down south, and went for a coffee and breakfast.

Decided not to stay in and eat and just got coffee to take back to my van. I had been gone about five minutes. As I walked back two men ran off, jumped in a lorry and sped away.

They had removed the window from my habitation door, I guess with a view to putting hand in to open it and enter. If I had got back two mins later, they would have been in there when I got in.:Angry:

Yeah ,well that's what I think , you can put as many locks and bolts and things you want on the doors but most mh windows would open with a penknife:whatthe:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
In Stratford !?

They had come to the Stratford meet but the theft had occurred the week before. Sorry, not sure where exactly. The following post of mine was at the Michael Woods (?) service station on the way to Bristol.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We had both our Bikes stolen last year (Dec10th) whilst staying at South Lychett Manor campsite.

The bikes were looked together and also secured to the Fence post and covered with a waterproof cover.

We were both fast asleep in the camper and never heard a thing so I presume we must have been gassed or something.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm sure I read on here a while back someone saying they'd stopped on a motorway aire because they wouldn't let him on a campsite with his Hobby and he'd been gassed while towing with an A Frame. Was he joking then? :Confused:

Edit: Saw that "Like" Was it you?

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Geo was a few years back and so was RR (puportedly gassed as Bruno was in the van at the time.) A few funsters have reported being robbed in the past.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Nannyjan was robbed whilst on a busy campsite, but I don't know if she was in it at the time. And, not robbed, but someone else parked up and had some yobbos smashing bricks on their van whilst they were in it... they quickly got up and drove off ... hence good idea to always park in such a way you can get away quickly.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm sure I read on here a while back someone saying they'd stopped on a motorway aire because they wouldn't let him on a campsite with his Hobby and he'd been gassed while towing with an A Frame. Was he joking then? :Confused:

Edit: Saw that "Like" Was it you?

Pardon, which like

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes three times . once in 98 at taghazoute . we were in the roof tent on my old vw . they broke the back window and nicked some bags of clothing .
i had a metal panel welded in instead og glass.
then in 2008 i was robbed while asleep at el saler near valencia .
they forced the door and took things out of my wallet and cash .cards . the bank in uk woke me by telephone wanting to know if i was taking money out of my account at a machine in valencia .
then in 2009 again at taghazoute . they removed the back window of the cab , took radio and a few things from cab .
i again went to the village and had metal put in instead of glass . its still metal.

cant say i was gassed any of the times . might have been drousy through drink .
i think thats what many are.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
abut twelve years ago while sleeping in our first van on my brothers drive we wer woken up by sum one opening the wardrobe in my conversion apparently that's the last thing he remembered
still don't know till this day how he got in but when the police released me from the cells
they sad he probably slipped the lock
no charges were pressed against me i as helped to recover sum stolen property and apprehend a persistent offender
i was on my brother drive at the time he has had no indecent's at his home from that time
:winky:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We were burgled on the Aire at the Bai de Somme service station on the A16 in France back in 2005. Our van along with six or seven others was broken into during the night. Our passengers door lock was forced, and a mobile phone and a jacket were stolen from the front seating. We now have a VanBitz Strike Back alarm fitted and we set it every night regardless of where we are. We also make sure that there is nothing visible on the dashboard or the seating area

Brisey..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
hi, yes three times . once in 98 at taghazoute . we were in the roof tent on my old vw . they broke the back window and nicked some bags of clothing .
i had a metal panel welded in instead og glass.
then in 2008 i was robbed while asleep at el saler near valencia .
they forced the door and took things out of my wallet and cash .cards . the bank in uk woke me by telephone wanting to know if i was taking money out of my account at a machine in valencia .
then in 2009 again at taghazoute . they removed the back window of the cab , took radio and a few things from cab .
i again went to the village and had metal put in instead of glass . its still metal.

cant say i was gassed any of the times . might have been drousy through drink .
i think thats what many are.

How did they get your pin number? BUSBY:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How did they get your pin number? BUSBY:Smile:

they didnt thats what alerted the bank . unfortunately i was about to start stocking up with wine and beer to go to morocco . so had changed some money in the day . never put it anywhere safe left it in my wallet . we live n learn . i had hsbc and uk santander phoning me . luckily it alerted the banks .
was a nuisance though as i couldnt get more cash out the bank . luckily my mates could loan it me till i got back to uk .
i could have paid and had money transfer but my friends helped out . mind they didnt get it back for 5 months . but good mates they were .

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Sod all this... I'm going to pack it all in and never leave my protected Castle.... have my shopping delivered from sainsburys and call the dr or instead of going. ..

Owning a camper is way too dangerous. .

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
We were broken into just over the Spanish border whilst travelling back to our home in Spain about 7 years ago. We had a Bessecarr then and a gang were going around the cafeteria area, fully lit up, clicking the lock open on many motorhomes and moving on and then returning quickly and straight into the glove compartment. Fortunately we had nothing in there but we were in the van. I don't know who was more shocked, us or them. The gang were in an old motorhome themselves and made a quick exit from the carpark.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Havn't had a problem yet but then maybe any potential offender thinks they would be tempting fate bearing in mind the previous use of our vehicle.
The only gas we have come across is from this little fellow

or maybe he is the reason that we havn't had visitors

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sod all this... I'm going to pack it all in and never leave my protected Castle.... have my shopping delivered from sainsburys and call the dr or instead of going. ..

Owning a camper is way too dangerous. .

Not half as dangerous as robbing yours!:roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure I read on here a while back someone saying they'd stopped on a motorway aire because they wouldn't let him on a campsite with his Hobby and he'd been gassed while towing with an A Frame. Was he joking then? :Confused:?

No just slightly inaccurate. He wasn't gassed, just overcome with fumes when self-filling his Calor bottle :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Happened to us, on our narrowboat no less. 5 AM one frosty morning, big bump, dog went ballistic. They had tried to get in through the front doors, three 'yoofs'. Got up, opened the rear doors as they ran up the towpath, and shot the last runner up the a**e with my Webley air pistol, much to Alisons disgust. I didn't report them, neither did they report me. That was the only time in 23 years boating.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No, never been gassed or robbed in the van or in the truck. Have no idea how many miles or countries have driven across in 45 years. Maybe they think I have nothing worth taking or maybe am just lucky. They tend to leave rednecks be :Smile:.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So reading this thread motorway aires come out at least as well as anywhere else if not better, so where do all these warnings come from. Everyone warns against them myself included at times on hearsay but actually no one on here has been robbed on one but have been in other places :Doh:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
UK campsite theft

I was on a site not far from bournemouth near ringwood, big site security barrier cctv etc.
and a chap two vans away from me had his 3 bikes stolen from the rack it was early sunday morning I saw a transit van with 3 guys in shortly after making its way out of the site quickly.The police were called and it turned out that there was a car boot sale only 1/2 mile away the 3 guys were gyppos result no action taken as the bikes would have already gone, the policeman said it wasnt the first time .how did they get on site, why didnt the police follow up the van ,I think they took the easy option as the chap was insured for theft and the copper was on his tod .:Sad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
So reading this thread motorway aires come out at least as well as anywhere else if not better, so where do all these warnings come from. Everyone warns against them myself included at times on hearsay but actually no one on here has been robbed on one but have been in other places :Doh:

Sorry not quite right. . Nikki and I were robbed on a motorway aire.... we left tara in the van and went off to the cafe on the aire.

Two small cokes and a sandwich... bill total 11e90

Now that my friends is robbery of a highway scale.. dick Turpin would of been well proud .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back