Le Voyageur advice please. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just when we were ready to sign for a Burstner, we have been offered a 2 berth Voyageur, with 3 travelling seats, at a very good price.
Does anyone have any views, either good or bad on the maker and, as this is a RHD van, and I wanted LHD (for continental touring) so does RHD really hamper you on the continent.
This is a nice van IMHO, and I am tempted!! We felt we needed 4 berths for those very rare occasions when friends would join us, but this comes with a full safari tent as well.
Help please!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just when we were ready to sign for a Burstner, we have been offered a 2 berth Voyageur, with 3 travelling seats, at a very good price.
Does anyone have any views, either good or bad on the maker and, as this is a RHD van, and I wanted LHD (for continental touring) so does RHD really hamper you on the continent.
This is a nice van IMHO, and I am tempted!! We felt we needed 4 berths for those very rare occasions when friends would join us, but this comes with a full safari tent as well.
Help please!

We have a burstner and love it but don't be tempted into buying something that does not meet your needs or you will regret it later
Think very carefully:thumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Buy it for yourselves not your friends!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
In my opinion (from a solo's point of view) the only problem with RHD is when paying tolls. Any other occasion no problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In my opinion (from a solo's point of view) the only problem with RHD is when paying tolls. Any other occasion no problem.

I would generally agree, but with an A class we have plenty of room to move across the cab, I went to Le Mans on my own, but really getting out to pay is not the end of the world, if you need to put cash in it is probably easier.

IMO Don't depend on a safari room for accommodation, there will be times when you put it up just because you have to, without company, the weather or pitch would mean you would not use it

David

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I drive an A class rhd no problem on the continent been over 8 times never had a problem, well only once driving up to an aire at St Pierre de Chartreuse very windy road up steep incline approaching tight left hand bend with sheer drop on my right , when good old white van man ( I presume french) came around the opposite way like a bat out of hell , his van leaning over his wing mirror clipped mine with one hell of a bang breaking the glass but obviously snapped his off as the marks all down side of my van showed ( it started at mirror height decreasing down to bumper height at the rear most of which I could compound out, some small dents left ) it was a good job he wasn't 6 inches further over otherwise he would have pushed me over the edge of what was quite a sheer drop several 100 feet down.
Having said that I have found french drivers in particular on the whole to mostly obey the speed limits thru villages and no overtaking rules on continuous white lines, also reasonable considerate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Hi , I drive an A class rhd no problem on the continent been over 8 times never had a problem, well only once driving up to an aire at St Pierre de Chartreuse very windy road up steep incline approaching tight left hand bend with sheer drop on my right , when good old white van man ( I presume french) came around the opposite way like a bat out of hell , his van leaning over his wing mirror clipped mine with one hell of a bang breaking the glass but obviously snapped his off as the marks all down side of my van showed ( it started at mirror height decreasing down to bumper height at the rear most of which I could compound out, some small dents left ) it was a good job he wasn't 6 inches further over otherwise he would have pushed me over the edge of what was quite a sheer drop several 100 feet down.
Having said that I have found french drivers in particular on the whole to mostly obey the speed limits thru villages and no overtaking rules on continuous white lines, also reasonable considerate.

Thanks for this. Hairy experiences aside, have you been happy with your Pilote, build quality wise, as I believe the Voyageur we are looking at comes from the same stable. I hope that you get to try some of our crazy Spanish roads, where we live there is daily danger on the mountains. Still the views are worth it!!

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Not done Spain prefer France , yes build quality brilliant on a par with Hymer, with similar layouts , I original back in 2005 wanted a Hymer but RHD on early and current models dont have a drivers door with Hymer and most continental suppliers, On my original Pilote Galaxy it had the build the same as british vans nearside hab door and drivers door, but since about 2002 Pilote have followed other continental builders and now only have offside hab door and passenger door ( no drivers door on A class) Hope this helps.
Enjoy whatever you get . Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have decided to go ahead with the Voyageur, and understand that as the habitation door is on the right, that, if required, we can have it matriculated in Spain. However, we will keep it as is for the moment, to see how it goes.

Really impressed with the test drive, and it will be sold to us ready to go. This is where it really gets exiting!!:thumb:

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
No problem with RHD on the continent, sometimes difficult at Tolls if single handed but you could always reverse through!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
le voyageur

Doubt if you will regret buying this especially as Me Voyageurs are premium versions of Pilote. I have never had any problems driving any of our vans abroad, and all have been Rhd. I suspect you'll be traveling 2 up most times so the passenger takes care of the tolls, and as for the lack of berths, we swapped our first 4 berth for our second three berth, and never regretted it. It gave us single beds, a bigger lounge, kitchen and bathroom and the only downside was a relative lack of external storage for those longer trips. Being on the kerbside as you drive is good especially on narrower roads and let's face it, other than on the motorways, when are you likely to want to overtake! Enjoy, and vive LA France!:thumb:

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
We have decided to go ahead with the Voyageur, and understand that as the habitation door is on the right, that, if required, we can have it matriculated in Spain. However, we will keep it as is for the moment, to see how it goes.

Really impressed with the test drive, and it will be sold to us ready to go. This is where it really gets exiting!!:thumb:

:party2: Congratulations :party2:

Upvote 0

booboo

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
slovenia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i am a newbie
The only thing I don't like about RHD on mainland Europe is pulling out when their is a bend, also entering busy motorways. My advise is know your blind spots well!!! Every time you pull up walk around your vehicle a few times, yes you will look like a Pratt but it could end up saying you a lot of bother if not your life! :Smile:
OK there may be two of you and that helps but there may also be an unexpected time when there is only one for what ever reason, I have been driving both RHD and LHD here for six years running. MY partner prefers RHD... I LHD

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks to all those of you with so much helpful advice. I don't feel that I will have a problem with RHD, but my next problem is insurance. As this vehicle is in Spain, UK reg RHD, I so far can't find any one to insure it as it is not starting in the UK!! Any thoughts? :Sad: I will put a separate question on the forum.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Just insure at your West Sussex address, if you have permanantly moved then maybe you should update your profile details.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a Pilote Galaxy bought in June, so far very good, runs well and build quality is good.
Suits our needs and is right hand drive with the door on the passenger side which doesn't present a problem, hab door is on the drivers side.
Couple of days away last week with the Toad on and wouldn't have known it was there, off tomorrow for a couple of nights.

Not been abroad with it so cannot comment on how it would be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyboyprowler
Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Luckily, this comes with a big safari tent, so the "guests" can be housed, weather permitting, outside with a portaloo!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The only drawback I found was that SWMBO got a bit nervous sometimes in heavy traffic Sitting in what she calls the Suicide seat!!. in the UK.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Actually, I now realise this thread is a couple of years OLD!!! Can I update this thread? I have just been looking at a voyager on`t `tinternet. It has a layout I like. more to the point SWMBO likes it too!!

On the 2003 ish Sprinter Underpinnings. does anyone have good /bad experiences with this?

Would be grateful for an Update?

Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back