Fiat 2.3 first service.... Just need a price - doh.. (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just called local Fiat / Iveco garage to enquire about costs on a first service for my 2012 2.3 Duacto (Autotrail) in readyness for the next Morocco trip....
You would think it's a standard thing...

Oh no..
Has to take down reg number, chassis number and now off to check something and call me back.. :Doh:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
COUGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours labour £150
parts £198

Plus vat.. £420 ish.....

Does this sound the norm ??????????
It's a Euro5 engine but cant see that making much difference..

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
COUGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours labour £150
parts £198

Plus vat.. £420 ish.....

Does this sound the norm ??????????
It's a Euro5 engine but cant see that making much difference..

For that price i could have mine serviced 3 times here and washed and polished . best of luck getting a better price . ( rip off ) .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GaryW

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
Fleetwood, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Got a quote for my Fiat Ducato Based Swift Sundance, first service 2 years old, from Fiat Dealer £ 180 all in. :thumb:

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Not sure how far away he is from you Steve, but why not give Geo at Pecks Hill Garage a call.

Brisey.

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
£420! :Eeek: That sounds way too much.
£75 a hour labour!! :Eeek:

What parts could a one year old engine need? If you've done some miles then oil change, fuel filter and air filter maybe.

I would be looking to pay around the £200 mark.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks on feedback.. I was also thinking maybe in the £200's....

Ok done some miles 16,000 but Fiat themselves state first service not required until 25,000 miles...... It's 21 months old now and due for Morocco again in January....

Brisey, I will check ref Geo..Would prefer a Fiat stamp on the first service, next one will be out of warranty so happy then to use independant...

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I get mine serviced by the local council - after all they service all their dustcarts and coaches and do a great job.

Its never been £400 odd

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
See Platts of Stoke, bronze, silver, gold service options. Gold is £299. This is out of Warranty cost, Fiat must have in warranty sewn up and dealers have to comply.
Broken Link Removed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Full chassis service £135 inc VATplus service parts which typically are around £90 for your oil and filters, less your 5% funster discount of course. Our full service includes all road wheels removed and brakes inspected/cleaned/adjusted as required.

D.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Try here where I go
Link Removed

The man who does mine was foreman at Platts for years they have a bay and ramp for motorhomes and are much cheaper and more comprehensive ask them to email you there service sheet and tell them you are still under warranty and need paperwork completing I take mine and wait for it.
I found Platts just to expensive, they will give you a good quote I had a full service last year the largest they do + MOT for the sort of money you have been quoted .
They have all the electronics for Fiat and will use fiat parts or OE if you ask so the warranty is not affected

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the feedback everyone...
Stoke is not that far away and Dave, I forgot you did servicing...
I will just check on what the Fiat warranty states, like I say first one I want to be right and prefer a Fiat stamp so no hassles in case I do have any problems within the warranty period..

:thumb::thumb:
Fun, coming up trumps again..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i got quoted £360 all in apparently the particulate filter is close to £60 and oils around £90 :Eeek:

mines due in Feb :cry:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Your Fiat garage is having you on. Tell them what you want not what they want to do. My local Fiat garage tried it on with me, your mileage seems to be an intermediate service such as an engine oil and filter change and a cursory check over.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You should also check out what the OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING has to about servicing of vehicles by the Dealer.

[HI]Servicing;[/HI] you are OK to use an Independent, and still keep your Warrenty

[HI]Repairs[/HI]; you must use the Dealer, or blow your warrenty

OFT found that an Independent is 40% cheaper than the Dealer

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks on feedback.. I was also thinking maybe in the £200's....

Ok done some miles 16,000 but Fiat themselves state first service not required until 25,000 miles...... It's 21 months old now and due for Morocco again in January....

Brisey, I will check ref Geo..Would prefer a Fiat stamp on the first service, next one will be out of warranty so happy then to use independant...

had a major service at autocare in Hereford, they charge £35 per hour. it certainly was not more than £160

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You are aware that you do not require a service for the first two years unless you hit 28,000 miles. After that it's every two years. Some recommend an annual oil change in between which should only cost around £100.
Check it out on Fiat's website.

Too many new owners being mislead by dealers so they can make a few extra bucks !

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You are aware that you do not require a service for the first two years unless you hit 28,000 miles. After that it's every two years. Some recommend an annual oil change in between which should only cost around £100.
Check it out on Fiat's website.

Too many new owners being mislead by dealers so they can make a few extra bucks !

Yes, cheers... And I have pointed this out to other people in the past...
I read it on the Fiat camper website and made a copy so have it in writing..
Am half thinking to leave it till I am back from Morocco But in the back of my minds it's telling me to maybe get it done early...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as a result of confussing messages between the web site, dealers and the hand book i wrote and have spoken direct ti Fiats technical help and they were quite clear that NO servicing was required to maintain waranty unless:

1. 28,000 miles or
2. 2 years or
3. the warning light for particulate filter came on

whichever the sooner.

however at any of the above points are reached a full service is required.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Fiat service

I work in an indipendant garage, as a holder of all papers read. And approved parts fitter. We do work for a number of main dealers. Fiat. Vow. Nissan and ctreon , pergeout. Never see it spelt like that before. And we by law can stamp service records. In or out of warranty. As long as we use genuine parts not pattern ones. That price is rubbish. You could do an oil and filter change so easy on that model.. Good luck:thumb:

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well the 2 year period will catch me out so looks like getting it done as it will be 2 years on 12th Jan and we plan to leave UK by the 8th..

Thanks on all the input, may have helped others out as well...
I will get half term and my flight holiday out the way then get it sorted.. :thumb:

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Agree about no service needed until 2 years but I cannot see how the prices quoted low are on Euro 5 engines. The only approved oil for this engine seems to be around £90 before you start with anything else.
I have another year to go so will be more than happy to be told otherwise.
Cheers
Bernie

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In 3 years from new, our Ducato X250 2.3 has had 2 'low-mileage' services at the local Fiat dealer - about £180 each (think the first one was about £175). Change of oil and filter etc included. When it had it's second service a few weeks ago, they asked what the mileage was - 18,000 - and said, oh that's still the low mileage service then.

That was at Huttons of Weston-super-Mare, by the way. When I rang the Fiat dealer in Bristol last time they quoted four hundred and odd pounds, so happy to stick with Huttons, which is an approved / accredited Fiat garage and got the stamps in the book etc. :thumb:

Hope you get sorted.

Mike

Hope that helps.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Don,t think I'll bother with one of these new vans, I,ll just carry on with me oil n filter change as often as I like (usualy once a year or about 5000m) for £25 :thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In 3 years from new, our Ducato X250 2.3 has had 2 'low-mileage' services at the local Fiat dealer - about £180 each (think the first one was about £175). Change of oil and filter etc included. When it had it's second service a few weeks ago, they asked what the mileage was - 18,000 - and said, oh that's still the low mileage service then.

That was at Huttons of Weston-super-Mare, by the way. When I rang the Fiat dealer in Bristol last time they quoted four hundred and odd pounds, so happy to stick with Huttons, which is an approved / accredited Fiat garage and got the stamps in the book etc. :thumb:

Hope you get sorted.

Mike

Hope that helps.

Mike, there wrong big time! Check your service manual and/or the fiat website. Some of your filters are time based regardless of mileage. They should have done your air and Diesel filter, and your air con filter if you have one fitted, plus replace your brake fluid.
They have definitely got it wrong. Also, an oil and filter (Oil filter) change for £170.00 smacks of a rip off to me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i got quoted £360 all in apparently the particulate filter is close to £60 and oils around £90 :Eeek:

mines due in Feb :cry:

you are being robbed before you start Phil...

the diesel particulate filter is part of the exhaust and is cleaned automatically by the ECU 'arranging' an unusually high exhaust temperature, in the region of 600degC, at open road speeds to oxidise the soot in the filter.

a new filter, which requires part dismantling of the exhaust, costs around £200 plus labour for most vehicles...ford, volvo etc.

a dealer can 'force' a regen if the warning light is on and only low speed/town driving is the norm.
this could be what they are charging for unnecessarily.

dpf regen requires higher speeds..

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Mike, there wrong big time! Check your service manual and/or the fiat website. Some of your filters are time based regardless of mileage. They should have done your air and Diesel filter, and your air con filter if you have one fitted, plus replace your brake fluid.
They have definitely got it wrong. Also, an oil and filter (Oil filter) change for £170.00 smacks of a rip off to me.

Thanks for your concern.

The handbook is in the van, so I will have another look at it when the current gale we're experiencing has passed. But I have pulled out the invoices and the various list of jobs that have been completed - and it looks extensive and reasonably comprehensive to me - including: checking the brake fluid condition, master cylinder, servo, steering, suspension, driveshafts. Also a precise report of brake pad wear and tyre depths (inner, middle and outer on 4 tyres - I know, I know, I can easily see and check the tyres - but 12 depth measurements independently recorded is useful) and much, much more on the specification that has been completed. I'm comfortable about the amount I've been charged by a main dealer.

The garage has done all of the Fiat cab servicing and warranty work from new - in fact they had to start the warranty clock when I got the van. They needed to see the registration document, and that was it. And when I contact them now they always check their Fiat system to see what is required for the vehicle.

The warranty jobs I had done were replacement of rear spring hangers and bushes, replacement of a cracked perspex speedometer cover, securing a loose earth cable under the passenger seat and tightening a cab seat armrest. Otherwise the van has run faultlessly and taken us - among other places - on 5 extended trips around France, and also on an end-to-end tour through the Outer Hebrides too.

You may well be correct, however, so I will investigate further. Thanks again.

Cheers, Mike

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

From Fiat's own website FAQ,S

When should the first service be carried out?
Servicing must be carried out every 45,000 km (40,000 for 2.2 engines) on Euro 4 engines. Servicing must be carried out every 48,000 km on Euro 5 engines.
However, we do recommend, if the annual mileage is low, that the engine oil and brake fluid are changed every two years.
Between services, we recommend that you check the fluid levels and perform routine checks.
The actual interval for changing the oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the vehicle usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message (if present) in the instrument panel (see chapter “Warning lights and messages”) or every 24 months

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Little update...

I use a local haulage company here in Cannock for my previous van MOT's.
http://www.motcannock.co.uk/

This week I took the car for MOT and in the past they have never offered any repair or service work.
While chatting I mentioned my motorhome needed a service and they now do some service work... Result is a quote of £141 for a first service PLUS they are going to swop the front wheels to the rear in with the price.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back