overnight stop outside friend's house? (1 Viewer)

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Hi there
Can anyone tell me if its 'allowed' to stay overnight ( two) in a motorhome outside a friends house?

there is a lane leading to a private nursing home which we are not blocking access to - but wonder what the legal situation is if we sleep in our motohome overnight which happens to be where my family usually park their cars?

any advice as soon as poss - hoping to stay there tonight

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The worst that could happen is that you are asked to move on. so don't worry, just do it, its what motorhomes are for. Just don't be over the drink drive limit, so you can move on if it is required. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If the land is owned by your friend then there should be no problem (presumably you would have the friend's permission).

If the land is owned by someone else (including a public highway) then, technically, their permission is required. In some cases permission might be restricted to daytime parking only (there are restrictions in some areas on the size of vehicle which can be parked overnight) or overnight parking but not sleeping/eating in the vehicle.

If you do overnight without the landowner's permission you could be asked to move on at short notice. The likelihood of such event would obviously differ with the circumstances, including any obstruction to other road users.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Providing there is no "no parking " or no waiting etc and there is enough room for emergency vehicles to pass and providing your not putting awnings and the like out
I can't think of a law stopping you... however if you are over 3.5 tonne the police may require you to have parking lights on

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Providing there is no "no parking " or no waiting etc and there is enough room for emergency vehicles to pass and providing your not putting awnings and the like out
I can't think of a law stopping you... however if you are over 3.5 tonne the police may require you to have parking lights on

The general legislation is S137 of the Highways Act 1980 Tony. Even where there is no order banning parking there is no absolute right to park on the highway.

Also, in some places, parking orders might be in force which regulate the size of vehicle. For instance, residents parking in Hackney: vehicles must not exceed 2.27m in width or 5.25m in length or weigh in excess of 2540 kg.

Such legislation might not often be enforced (though it is likely that local orders will attract more rigorous enforcement) but can be used if the appropriate authority so desires.

Graham

OP
OP
freakylady

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
Thanks for the replies

correct me if i am wrong but reading the link GJH posted - it said you could be prosecuted only if you willfully obstructed free passage on a highway?

as we are not obstructing the highway in any way then we are fine to be parked where we have?

thanks agian

slept well last night ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
correct me if i am wrong but reading the link GJH posted - it said you could be prosecuted only if you willfully obstructed free passage on a highway?
Correct. Just for completeness though, a highway is defined as: A road in respect of which there is an established right for the public to pass and re-pass, includes public footpaths and bridleways as well as all "roads" as defined by the Road Traffic Act.

The "highway" includes the pavement and private property used as a public thoroughfare.

as we are not obstructing the highway in any way then we are fine to be parked where we have?
If you are parked off the highway, completely on private property, then all you need is the permission of the landowner.

However, if you are parked on any part of a highway then, technically, that is an obstruction because free passage over the bit you are parked on is not possible. It becomes wilful obstruction if you refuse to move on if asked.

Graham

OP
OP
freakylady

freakylady

Free Member
Apr 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 months
ahhh right ok thanks for the clarification :)

P

paulejw

Deleted User
Reply to S137 of the Highways Act 1980

Just a quick look at, s.137 uses the word "wilfully", you would have to do it on purpose, its not talking about parking at all its more on th lines of someone blocking on purpose the public highway. With parking you only need to abide by the rules and regs on parking. Therefore if your parking a car and its not allowed then its not allowed whether its a car, lorry, van, motorhome etc as a rule of thumb.

I think the general advice is good if your asked to move on move on.

I was reading a blog and in the blog someone had parked in a quiet spot overnight, a farmer knocked on the motorhome door and when the driver answered, the farmer said to the driver, you can come around and park in my field (about 20 feet away) for 15 pounds a night. The motorhome owner replied, no thank you and moved on. However I think I would have taken the farmer up on the offer with all those milk producing cows I would have asked the farmer if fresh milk and butter could be included in the one night parking fee, I guess bacon and eggs would be pushing a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Just a quick look at, s.137 uses the word "wilfully", you would have to do it on purpose, its not talking about parking at all its more on th lines of someone blocking on purpose the public highway. With parking you only need to abide by the rules and regs on parking. Therefore if your parking a car and its not allowed then its not allowed whether its a car, lorry, van, motorhome etc as a rule of thumb.

I think the general advice is good if your asked to move on move on.

I was reading a blog and in the blog someone had parked in a quiet spot overnight, a farmer knocked on the motorhome door and when the driver answered, the farmer said to the driver, you can come around and park in my field (about 20 feet away) for 15 pounds a night. The motorhome owner replied, no thank you and moved on. However I think I would have taken the farmer up on the offer with all those milk producing cows I would have asked the farmer if fresh milk and butter could be included in the one night parking fee, I guess bacon and eggs would be pushing a point.

Farmer Giles trying to make a quick buck! Cheeky beggar. You can stay in guesthouses for that price!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back