Damp Meter (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi with all the talk about dampness I intent to purchase a meter my question is what type and make £30.00 and under also what are the acceptable readings

Thanks. Bill

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can get basic ones for around £10 which are just three light versions - for these, one light is fine, two a warning and three oh hell.

There are also digital which are around £30. Moisture is required for strength in wood - acceptable amount is around 20% depending on the wood. Over 40% and you have issues.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I bought a cheapie digital version off ebay and , for me, it works fine. I get an average reading of 16% in winter and 12% in the summer. I just use these two points for calibration and anything other than this would warrant investigation. I even use the same points around vents, windows etc. for testing, log readings and make direct comparisons.

Item No 300901180613

jack

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Was in Aldi the other day and they some digital ones for 12 quid looked nice bit of kit
Terry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I originally bought one of these a few years back

Link Removed
Seems to work well and when I had my proffesional had check done I compared readings with the engineers and almost the same.. However you can get similar cheaper off ebay.
They have prongs that need to penetrate the surface.

I have just received one of these... No prongs..
Took a while to come from China but arrived ok..

Link Removed

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I originally bought one of these a few years back

Link Removed
Seems to work well and when I had my proffesional had check done I compared readings with the engineers and almost the same.. However you can get similar cheaper off ebay.
They have prongs that need to penetrate the surface.

I have just received one of these... No prongs..
Took a while to come from China but arrived ok..

Link Removed

Thanks for that il get one from Maplins does it give readings in % also I'm getting different comments about what's acceptable anything from 15 to 20 % is that what you think

Thanks. Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for that il get one from Maplins does it give readings in %

Thanks. Bill

Yes.. The maplins pic does not show it lit up but there is a scale in the lcd display and gives percentage.. My view is that you are looking for anything abnormal, testing on a damp cold day is different from a dry sunny day..
But if you test and get steady reading everywhere and then find a spot that a lot higher it need investigating. My first had check on a year old van (done in December) gave readings of 10-14%... However I had 30% near the heki light and 25% on a side wall.. Van went back to factory for re-sealing. !!!
So £20-£30 spent on a meter for self checking is a good investment..

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Yes.. The maplins pic does not show it lit up but there is a scale in the lcd display and gives percentage.. My view is that you are looking for anything abnormal, testing on a damp cold day is different from a dry sunny day..
But if you test and get steady reading everywhere and then find a spot that a lot higher it need investigating. My first had check on a year old van (done in December) gave readings of 10-14%... However I had 30% near the heki light and 25% on a side wall.. Van went back to factory for re-sealing. !!!
So £20-£30 spent on a meter for self checking is a good investment..
Thanks for the advise went to Maplins got there meter nice bit of kit , checked round the van for damp was between 10 and 15% at all points and I will keep the record. To check the meter I went to my local Dealer and checked it against there model on a used van it was bang on no difference in the readings, so once again thanks for your advise. You can get cable extensions for it that way you can leave the meter on the work top that way you can read the meter easily

Bill.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back