any ideas why (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Why is my domestic fridge producing a big pack of solid ice on the upper part of the back wall inside. :Eeek: None of the produce is freezing thank goodness

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Hilary, Is the seal on the inside of the door coming loose at all? Has the door not been closed properly?

Sorry, other than those two reasons which made mine do the same I cannot think of anything else. Joy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
i was going to suggest the same as Movan as ours did this and it was the door seal, due to it not closing the fridge was working harder to keep the temp low

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Thanks for suggestions. I have checked the seal and cant find anything wrong with it really. It is only two years old but is out of guarantee of course :Sad: The false wooden door that is bolted to the fridge door has come loose at the bottom and does sometimes need an extra shove to get it flush with the adjacent door so mabe that is the problem but I have never suspected that the actual fridge door was not properly shut if that makes sense :Eeek: I can hear the motor working hard and its slightly warm where the vents are at the base of the fridge which cant be right can it ?

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for suggestions. I have checked the seal and cant find anything wrong with it really. It is only two years old but is out of guarantee of course :Sad: The false wooden door that is bolted to the fridge door has come loose at the bottom and does sometimes need an extra shove to get it flush with the adjacent door so mabe that is the problem but I have never suspected that the actual fridge door was not properly shut if that makes sense :Eeek: I can hear the motor working hard and its slightly warm where the vents are at the base of the fridge which cant be right can it ?

We had this problem with a fridge in the house once and it turned out to be an insulation problem, luckily for us it was still under warranty.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We have a (newish) fridge, and like yours its integrated into the kitchen units. One thing we have found, is that if you place anything against the back wall of the fridge, (packets, wrapped food etc), the fridge goes ballistic, and within a short time, the produce is frozen into a block of ice that would make a woolly mammoth ashamed! Not only are items frozen, but they stick to the rear of the thing, making it almost impossible to remove them. I asked a kitchen engineer why, and he said that this type of fridge is designed to condensate on the back wall, putting stuff up against the wall stops the air circulation, and the condensation solidifies into ice, very much as it does in the freezer box.
Hope this helps. Our fridge by the way is a Bosch.

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
We have a (newish) fridge, and like yours its integrated into the kitchen units. One thing we have found, is that if you place anything against the back wall of the fridge, (packets, wrapped food etc), the fridge goes ballistic, and within a short time, the produce is frozen into a block of ice that would make a woolly mammoth ashamed! Not only are items frozen, but they stick to the rear of the thing, making it almost impossible to remove them. I asked a kitchen engineer why, and he said that this type of fridge is designed to condensate on the back wall, putting stuff up against the wall stops the air circulation, and the condensation solidifies into ice, very much as it does in the freezer box.
Hope this helps. Our fridge by the way is a Bosch.
Thanks for that I am going to defrost
:ROFLMAO: it now and do as you say and see what happens. We do keep boxes of insulin in there and they do get shoved to the back along with all the other stuff of course so mabe that is the answer. Will keep you updated :Smile:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
OMG - you've more than likely killed that insulin then! :Eeek:

Jen keeps hers in the top compartment of the door in our fridge - before they invented such things the vials just fitted nicely in the egg rack - one egg space per vial - this was before they invented pens or pen cartridges too! But we've gone full circle now - cos on a pump she's back to vials. :Smile:

OP
OP
Lucky one
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
[HI]OMG - you've more than likely killed that insulin [/HI]then! :Eeek:

Jen keeps hers in the top compartment of the door in our fridge - before they invented such things the vials just fitted nicely in the egg rack - one egg space per vial - this was before they invented pens or pen cartridges too! But we've gone full circle now - cos on a pump she's back to vials. :Smile:

Will keep you all updated on him too then :Eeek:

Seriously tho I don't think they bin frozen as I said contents are not freezing up the boxes would act as insulation wouldn't they ?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Too much in a fridge will cause it to freeze up - air needs to circulate around the fridge, and particularly near the back coolings fins.

Also, temps below 10 degrees (IIRC) You need to cover the outside vent to stop the fridge over-cooling, which again will cause freezing up.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
What you can try is to run your hair drier around the inside door seal a good few times it re activates the seal, our one at home was acting up that cured it. Pete

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
If the remedies do not do the trick it may be worth making enquiries about your waranty. Don't just assume that it's 12 months. Many electrical items are covered for longer so do check rather than assuming.

Wyn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back