Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
We have worked our way down France and south Spain, I work 28/28 days so we have been storing and touring now in second storage location. We have comfort insurance and they can only do storage insurance for up to 6 Months in any one country. So while I appreciate that if you overstay nothing is likely to happen, Comfort Insurance say they cannot be seen to encourage Overstays for the Motorhome. So if insurance is over 6 M they wont cover. So how long does the vehicle have to be out of Spain for a second 6 M period to start.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Change you insurance..... SAGA 365 days, SAFEGUARD i think 8 months. BUSBY::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I know if your in Spain for more than 6 months you should re register your vehicle, and notify them after 3 months and apply for a residence permit after 6 months.

I think most people that leave their caravans in Spain have no insurance, its more of a problem with motorhomes. :Doh: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
1 we did change insurance from Saga to comfort as Saga don't do storage insurance and seemed to be pretty confused about what they did do when we questioned them. The question is to do with the 6 months in one country for a van reg in the UK. The only problem Comfort has is if e have been in Spain for more than 6Monthes technically it is illegal so they cannot approve for storage. They don't really care if you are just driving around they offer 365 day cover anywhere in Europe.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
1 we did change insurance from Saga to comfort as Saga don't do storage insurance and seemed to be pretty confused about what they did do when we questioned them. The question is to do with the 6 months in one country for a van reg in the UK. The only problem Comfort has is if e have been in Spain for more than 6Monthes technically it is illegal so they cannot approve for storage. They don't really care if you are just driving around they offer 365 day cover anywhere in Europe.

I suppose that if you drove into Gibraltar, France or Portugal and had proof, receipt for fuel or site fee that should restart your next six months. Worth asking your insurance company. BUSBY::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
OK comfort have said its 6M in any one country in any 12 months of insurance.

S I guess you could restart insurance i.e cash in and start again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Change you insurance..... SAGA 365 days, SAFEGUARD i think 8 months. BUSBY::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

We are with Saga, and yes they do give 365 days European cover, but its 6 months in one country, you could spend time in Portugal or France before coming home for your MOT ! :Doh: :ROFLMAO: Bob.

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
You can only drive in Spain for 6 months on U K plates , after that time you would have to import your vehicle onto spanish plates at great expense , if you drive out of spain and return after say a week you may getaway with it ,but the police here are wise to all the tricks so be very carefull . If you do get stopped the fines are on the spot and can be very high .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back