Who went to NEC and what did you get? (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Who went to NEC and wot did you get?

A couple of deck chairs and roll flat hose for me

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
In preparation for getting my RMB, we bought a Cadac 2 thing, glassware, mattress topper, pillows, kettle and a subscription to MMM.

Quite disappointed at the sparcity of general accessory stands.

Had a good look at most motorhome makes and were so-so about most of them but were really taken by the new Hymers. Auto Sleeper had some interesting layouts and Rimor some good prices, but the exterior finishing-off details left a lot to be desired.

Missed out buying two lovely Isabella chairs as my 2 year-old daughter decided she needed the toilet. Checked prices post-show to discover the deal on one particular stand was a good £10/chair cheaper than online. :Doh: Still, as least I know what I want rather than taking a gamble.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
In preparation for getting my RMB, we bought a Cadac 2 thing, glassware, mattress topper, pillows, kettle and a subscription to MMM.

Quite disappointed at the sparcity of general accessory stands.

Had a good look at most motorhome makes and were so-so about most of them but were really taken by the new Hymers. Auto Sleeper had some interesting layouts and Rimor some good prices, but the exterior finishing-off details left a lot to be desired.

Missed out buying two lovely Isabella chairs as my 2 year-old daughter decided she needed the toilet. Checked prices post-show to discover the deal on one particular stand was a good £10/chair cheaper than online. :Doh: Still, as least I know what I want rather than taking a gamble.

We thought there would be more accessories too

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
High cost to rent space puts many small traders off. Salesman at Oaktree told me it would cost them over £20000 to attend. Dont know how true that is, probably Peter could enlighten us. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I pushed the boat out this year - I bought a coffee::bigsmile:

Nothing jumped out at me this year - Accessory or motorhome.:cry:

I enjoyed the day though. Stopped for a chat at the VanBitz stand. :thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
2 folding electric bikes (from A.S.), a set of Corelle plates and some motorhome cleaner.

On a different note has anybody tried overnighting on the NEC car park? The motorhome we parked next to on Saturday had all the blinds drawn, and then drove off before the show started.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We bought

We bought a Globecar CampScout. Took a lot of agonising, but it ticked all the boxes. Had to sit down and specify all the extras - that was a bit stressful.

Now, a few days later we are looking forward to delivery in February/March

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
nec

Well, we bought some Peggy Pegs and awning plates for the legs Nice,Tina bought some Corelle crockery, And my Brother in law bought a New Caravan £25,000:Eeek:plus a new isabella awning ,thule table and 4 nice chairs bolon carpet and bedding to match :whatthe:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I bought a new car! A small cute one that charges from my USB:winky:

Yes it is very expensive. The smallest of the shell stands will close close on a thousand pounds. Our stand costs about four and a half thousand pounds. Add to that overtime for staff, accommodation for everyone, food, drinks and transportation for everyone and it all starts to mount up.

Having said that, a combination of really good deals and offers, and of course our on ongoing 10% FUNSTERS discount:thumb: (which saved lots of MHFUN subscribers a lot of money) Van Bitz had an extremely busy show, probably our best at the NEC.

Back at Van Bitz HQ now, sore throats all round, all moaning that we have put weight on, eating out and drinking too much, and personally looking forward to finally getting a day off next weekend having spent to last two weekends at the NEC and the previous weekend at the Westpoint show at Exeter:yawn:

Also sorry to anyone that I only managed a wave at, as we were so busy. We actually had people queuing to get on the stand at some points during the show.

Cheers

Eddie

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
well done eddie i saw yours with ya motorhomefun badges proudly on display

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The NEC have more or less killed off what used to be the 2nd largest bike show in the world by stupid silly pricing.

The BMF nearly did the same with their shows but pulled back from the brink, dropped stall prices and are now desperately trying to rebuild..

The small traders doing all the innovative and essential parts that are associated with MH's simply cannot afford to attend.. They do not attend and the following year folk do not go back.. Worse, the same folk tell all their friends not to bother.. Pretty soon ( soon as in a half life of perhaps 7 to 10 years ) attendance drops below subsistence levels

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The NEC have more or less killed off what used to be the 2nd largest bike show in the world by stupid silly pricing.

The BMF nearly did the same with their shows but pulled back from the brink, dropped stall prices and are now desperately trying to rebuild..

The small traders doing all the innovative and essential parts that are associated with MH's simply cannot afford to attend.. They do not attend and the following year folk do not go back.. Worse, the same folk tell all their friends not to bother.. Pretty soon ( soon as in a half life of perhaps 7 to 10 years ) attendance drops below subsistence levels

One of the problems with the bike show is that like the motorhome show most of those who go are in cars. Unlike the motorhome show, the major manufacturers at the bike show won't cover the cost of the carparking and what is already an expensive day out becomes prohibitively so for some.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

Quite disappointed at the sparcity of general accessory stanS.

The cost of stands at the show are too high. That's why we don't do this one.

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
New Chasson

We did too, chasson 5/10 delivery in Feb March next year, with automatic and got a really good deal on our part ex.
Hope it is as good as we think we are downsizing from 8.3 to 6 metre so we can both drive and explore more.
Peter

Cost me a bit more Scottyboy, ended up buying a Chausson best of 10 !
Lee::bigsmile:

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
For us attending was so we could explore 3 models that interested us; plus have a look around.

We arrived early on Sunday and headed for Bailey, Swift and Autosleeper. It didn't take too long to narrow it down to a Swift Bolero/Bessacar and as luck would have it the guy we spoke to had a '13 Bessacar 582 available.

We hadn't planned to p/x our California as we felt we'd get a better return selling privately. Well.............. long story short; we swap them over at the end of November.

So we will finally be motorhomers and boy do we plan to have some fun!!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ordered another Tracker EKS SE. SHOULD be ready in Feb... Hmmmm, we will see. Got to sell the 2010 one privately asap... Had trouble finding the smaller stalls .. Are we the only ones who get 'turned around' every time we come out from looking at all the vans. ???? Quite a tiring day, with a 4 hour trip door to door each end.. but successful and the last time for a long time we think.. Mitch and Jenny.

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013, moved from towing caravans
Met Eddie, Lynne and the boys for the first time after reading many recommendations on "Fun" and after a long discussion on what we were looking for Eddie got a few dollars and we got a great Funsters discount. :thumb:
Now sitting in the rain at the lovely Cornish Farm where tomorrow the guys willl add the new toys we bought at NEC. ::bigsmile:

Special congratulations to the new Wardens Steve and Dawn, it's their wedding anniversary today. We also wish them well in their new career.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Spent 3 days on the globecar stand and got a sore throat and leg ache. And some good interest.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Joined the camping and caravan club to benefit from the age reduction. Also came away 100% con vinced we wanted a devon aztec instead of the sol vantage but 24hrs later we are certain we want the Neo vantage!

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Bought a Corelle tableware set, a Pure and Cool water filter, Dometic L300 winter covers, some cheese from the Snowdonia Cheese company (Black Bomber and others, very nice), and a fleece for my wife.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We bought a Globecar CampScout. Took a lot of agonising, but it ticked all the boxes. Had to sit down and specify all the extras - that was a bit stressful.

Now, a few days later we are looking forward to delivery in February/March

Just taken delivery of a 2013 Campscout yesterday. Of all the examples of this type of vehicle, it was the only one that ticked all our 'must have' boxes, so chose itself, really.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Just taken delivery of a 2013 Campscout yesterday. Of all the examples of this type of vehicle, it was the only one that ticked all our 'must have' boxes, so chose itself, really.

Next time I will have a big funsters badge on so that you buy it from me

As it was my first time at the NEC on a stand representing a small independant dealer, it amazed me what a bunch of sharks the so called professional Motorhome salesmen are. There were some ok ones, but most of them couldn't give a sxxt about the customer or their requirements but are purely looking at lining their pockets with the commission.
All seem to be on big ego trips about how many they have DONE today.

Well I am not really that naive, but it was a confirmation of what we probably all know.

The existing globecar customers that came on our stand all sang it praises and were over the moon with the quality of their investment. So I am sure you will have lots of fun:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back