Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Hi
Am going to get LPG Gasit system and can fit an 11kg bottle do I need two bottles for Europe or would one be enough:Cool:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have a 11kg gasit ans a 5 kg calor lite fitted at moment. 2 reasons; 1. i'm mean and did not want to pay out for 2 bottles all in one go. 2. not having operated a semi fixed lpg system before i kept the calor 5kg as an emergency back up.

truth is not needed the 5kg at all managed the filling and availability of autogas well. if i were to be spending winter time in the colder climes then maybe 11kgs between fillings times might not be enough if you stay put for long periods or the nearest autogas is too far away.

we have not had a time ( as of yet :Doh: ) where we have needed to search for gas urgently.

so it will depend mainly on you winter usage and if you disappear for extended periods to areas that dont have access to autogas or lPg refill.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have 2 * 6 Kg Gassit bottles. Over the summer in France I used the gas for cooking and fridge (very rarely eat out) and filled on average once a fortnight. I have an Eberspatcher for heating.

I'm a belt & braces man so I would carry as much as I can based on the premise that when I needed a refill I probably wouldn't be able to find any:cry:

Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi
Am going to get LPG Gasit system and can fit an 11kg bottle do I need two bottles for Europe or would one be enough:Cool:

Realistically you are only likely to have any problems getting gas is if you 'long stay' on a Spanish campsite-and then,the usual solution is to buy a Spanish bottle on the site and use that until you leave.
Let me explain 'problems getting gas' If for arguments sake you were to spend 3 mths at Marjal Catral site the nearest autogas is Alicante,so,a couple of hrs round trip if you need to do it.
I would top up my on-board gas at Alicante on way to Marjal,buy a Spanish bottle on arrival and leave with my own tank full. ::bigsmile:

Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a Gaslow single 11kg bottle now since 2009, we got it basically so that when we go abroad we don't have to worry about carrying 'enough' Calor to last the whole holiday, also on a previous motorhome the gas locker only took one bottle so it was a good job we'd already changed to a refillable as one large Calor would NOT have lasted us!

We did nearly 7 weeks in Germany and France from mid-May to end of June this year and it was cold and wet for half that time ... just as the major flooding was taking place! We always found places to fill up (we have them as POIs on our TomTom sat nav) and never had a problem with being allowed to do so either. We also did 4 weeks in the Republic of Ireland (just a couple of days in Northern Ireland) and that actually posed a bigger problem as there are not a lot of filling points there now so we did have to 'hunt' it out a bit on one occasion, this was due to the garage that 'advertised' as having it didn't do it any more but they knew of another not far away so rang and checked they still did it before we set off so it wasn't a major problem, but just something to be aware of if you go there.

Spain, and possibly Portugal, don't have as many filling stations as France, Germany etc, so to save you worry for your 'maiden voyage' I would say get one 11kg Gas-it bottle, plus a hose to be able to attach a Calor to (which I assume you still have anyway?) and take a Calor with you too, that way you have a 'back-up' just in case you get 'caught short' but in reality you're not likely to need it and at some point in the future may be confident enough to let your Calor 'comfort blanket' go!!! ::bigsmile:

One other thing we have is an aerosol type gas stove in a plastic 'suitcase' (less than £10 and the aerosols can be bought absolutely everywhere) which we use outside for cooking smelly/messy stuff, it also meant in Ireland that we could eek out the gas when we were getting a bit low by doing some cooking on this instead of the main hob. It would do in an emergency if we ran out of gas (can't do without my cuppa!) or whilst wanting a drink in the ferry/tunnel queue once the main gas has been turned off! :thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Gas

I'd go for two as they always run out when there is a pie in the oven etc, and no doubt when it is dark and raining!

Russell

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
How many bottles

We have two 11kg Gaslow bottles which you can refill all over Europe. Not sure what advantage there is from only one (apart from fitting costs)

Gary ::bigsmile:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I agree with Phill D here. We have a gaslow system with one large and one small bottle. We use the large one then we know we have the safety net of the small one whilst looking for a refill. Often we've hardly used any of the smaller bottle but its great for peace of mind.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I fitted the gas it 11k bottle this April and then topped it up before heading away for 3 weeks, we only had hook up for 5 nights so the rest of the time the fridge and cooker plus BBQ where being used on gas and we used about 1/4 at most. We have since been to Berlin for the week and used very little so one bottle is perfect for us.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We have a mixed system gassit and normal calor the reason being is that we can refil the gassit cheaply at any LPG station (thats why we fit it) and can carry a spare calor to swop over or get a refil, handy if you are parked up for long periods like when we went Skiing,to much trouble to move, so best of both worlds

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Im thinking of getting a gas it set up.I have to use gas for heating as i have no electric heating.I can fit a 13kg & a 6kg calor bottles in my locker.Cant decide whether to get one gas it & keep a 6kg calor for back up.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just looking at this thread and I see that there is an advert for Alugas lightweight bottles from Autogas 2000 on the right hand side of the screen. Seen lots of comments about Gaslow and Gasit but what about lightweight Aluminium refillable gas bottles?

Anyone got one and are you pleased with it? Presumably they are dearer to buy in the first place? How long do these cylinders last in terms of pressure testing?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have 2 x 13kg (26Lt) Alugas bottles, German made, very good quality, good weight saving empty tare is 7.6kg, the 11kg bottle is only 6.6 kg. Recommended test period is 10 years. Also due to the lower thermal conductivity of the bottles there is less chance of the regulator icing up in high use conditions, also they gas off better in winter conditions leaving less residue in the bottle.
P1000212.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back