Status Ariels (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Can some one tell me do the standard status ariels work in built up areas ?
I currently have a little thing with batteries in which works great in open areas but as soon as your anywhere near houses its useless, so im looking at geting a status, and please dont say get a satalite dish cos I cant afford one.
cheers

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Wynnie
If your thinking of getting a status flying saucer type don't bother, buy a frizzbe instead
the one to buy that really does work is the Status 530 egg shaped with two other aerials sticking out the side and adjustable from inside you van, very easy to fit, they do a long pole for inside a wardrobe fitting and a short pole for inside a top cupboard fitting
stand by for a plethora of alternatives
Good luck with your choice
Geo

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have had a Status flying saucer on both my caravan and now on the Apache. As Geo says they are next to useless, I carry a 530 that fits to 2 brackets glued to the M/H body and its excellent. With the flying saucer I get a signal on the front of the bungalow but drive it 30 yards round the corner to park it and the signal's gone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Winnie,

In the absence of any other suggestions other than Geo, I say go for a coathanger.

If it helps I have similar problems and it sure aint easy.:RollEyes:

Jim

K

Kevit

Deleted User
Hi there

well, we must have been lucky so far. We have the much maligned "frisbee" on Elvis, that goes through a small booster in one of our cupboards. We plug it into our laptop and usually recieve between 6-12 analog signals, as well as many "freeview" digital channels. The piccy on the analog signals varies in quality, but the digital picture is always crystal clear.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Can some one tell me do the standard status ariels work in built up areas ?
I currently have a little thing with batteries in which works great in open areas but as soon as your anywhere near houses its useless, so im looking at geting a status, and please dont say get a satalite dish cos I cant afford one.
cheers
There are basically two types of aerial made by Status; omni-directional and directional.

Omni-directional works fine in strong signal areas but will not pick up a weaker signal. This style is the 'frizbee' you will have seen others referring to.

Directional can be turned and are designed to pick up and tune to weak signals in poor reception areas. This style is the 'egg shape' others refer to describe its appearance.

Both Status aerials work with the aid of a signal booster unit.

If you are working on a tight budget then don't look at Status aerials.....they are very expensive and much over hyped. A Status omni-directional is around £70...the directional £125. And depending on the type of van roof fitted to, many often get knocked off by low tree branches.

Look on the roof of every house with a TV aerial and you will see the aerial points toward the local transmitter. All these aerials are directional and can be bought new for as little as £10 from any good local electronics supplies or TV Aerial installer, add some co-ax for your lead, plug and a 10ft 'ally' pole and you then have the best TV aerial setup at a fraction of the cost of a Status. OK.....it doesn't look as pretty as a Status, but if you find yourself in an area where you can't get a signal with that, then you can be rest assured a Status wouldn't either!

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
"Can't afford a dish" - For the £70 you would have to pay for a status omni you could go to Maplins and buy the suitcase sat receiver complete with dish FTA receiver cables and various clamps to attach it to all sorts of things (suckers for 'van sides, clamps for ladders and wind mirrors etc).

With the FTA receiver you can get a couple of hundred tv and radio channels from Astra 2 alone. Then you could have lots of fun seeing which other sats you can find and watch all your favourite programmes in Dutch or German or Portuguese etc.:roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Look on the roof of every house with a TV aerial and you will see the aerial points toward the local transmitter. All these aerials are directional and can be bought new for as little as £10 from any good local electronics supplies or TV Aerial installer, add some co-ax for your lead, plug and a 10ft 'ally' pole and you then have the best TV aerial setup at a fraction of the cost of a Status. OK.....it doesn't look as pretty as a Status, but if you find yourself in an area where you can't get a signal with that, then you can be rest assured a Status wouldn't either!

thats what we use for 'normal' TV. cant beat it. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
"Can't afford a dish" - For the £70 you would have to pay for a status omni you could go to Maplins and buy the suitcase sat receiver complete with dish FTA receiver cables and various clamps to attach it to all sorts of things (suckers for 'van sides, clamps for ladders and wind mirrors etc).

With the FTA receiver you can get a couple of hundred tv and radio channels from Astra 2 alone. Then you could have lots of fun seeing which other sats you can find and watch all your favourite programmes in Dutch or German or Portuguese etc.:roflmto:

you can get 'em even cheaper on EBAY.

we had one and it worked fine if a bit slow to set up/find the satalite. if you're on a budget they are a good buy. 100s of channels except channel 4 and 5.

and ,of coarse, no weak signal areas. if it can see the sky you get yer channels

john

Last edited:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Channel 4 is now FTA and can be picked up on the Maplins box. Ch 5 has still a short while to run on the sky scrambled system but possibly will join the FTA later this year.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Channel 4 is now FTA and can be picked up on the Maplins box. Ch 5 has still a short while to run on the sky scrambled system but possibly will join the FTA later this year.

hi Frankia,

i read this on another post but i cant remember the channel no.

you dont know it by any chance.?

i dont want to re-tune AGAIN.:cry:

john.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
you can get 'em even cheaper on EBAY.

we had one and it worked fine if a bit slow to set up/find the satalite. if you're on a budget they are a good buy.

john
Not so sure about that.
The cheapest complete kit on offer on eBay is £107 with p&p.

Maplins do a complete kit at £50.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Took my frizbee off, its still in garage with booster. You can have it if you want it.
Free:ROFLMAO:
Pick up or pay postage:ROFLMAO:

Its all yours, i would sooner watch Sky:ROFLMAO:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Papa

Ch4 is on frequency 10729v 22000. If you get your box to do a frequency search for that frequ you will see amongst other channels the number 8350 - thats the FTA Ch4 for freesat. You may have noticed if you last did a sat search before march that BBC news 24 has gone walk about. It is now residing on frequ 11954H 27500 and is renamed BBC News.

Cheers

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Got my system from Roadpro who are very helpful. Then tried E bay and could have bought one 1/2 the price. Not complaining as have had good reception down into SW Portugal and watched the rugby world cup last year whilst at Lake Garda. Saw a sysyem recently that someone had bought in LIDL and was getting reception OK in El Rocio SW Spain & I saw the system mentioned above in Maplin yesterday and it looks OK. Depends what you want and where you are going. you don't need to spend a fortune!! and I go away to get away from the soaps,:Eeek: as long as I get the news I'm happy:thumb:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Took my frizbee off, its still in garage with booster. You can have it if you want it.
Free:ROFLMAO:
Pick up or pay postage:ROFLMAO:

Its all yours, i would sooner watch Sky:ROFLMAO:

ahhh thats very kind of you, gotta watch every penny at the mo so that will do me fine for now. messaged you to arrange getting me hands on it
thanks
wyn
x

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi folks
I am going in to see a company called Leisuretech on Staurday concerning an electrical converstion and the installation of a telly/dvd etc.

They advertise the installation of the flying saucer and the Status 530. They show a Status 530/5 and a 530/10.

Whats the difference between the two, does anybody know.

Has anybody had any dealings with Leisuretech, if so how did you find them.

Thanks

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Jim 530/5 has a short pole for installing in a short top cupboard and the 530/10 has a much longer pole to be installed in a tall wardrobe, it means you can extend the aerial higher if needed I had a 530/5 and it worked just fine everywhere just need lifting to clear the roof so i could turn it into the signal the 530/10 gives about 2-3 foot lift as opposed to 18"
Geo

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I bought my cranck up sat dish from them at Newark show, fit it myself though. Dont believe in paying someone to do what I can.:thumb:

Seem ok.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim 530/5 has a short pole for installing in a short top cupboard and the 530/10 has a much longer pole to be installed in a tall wardrobe, it means you can extend the aerial higher if needed I had a 530/5 and it worked just fine everywhere just need lifting to clear the roof so i could turn it into the signal the 530/10 gives about 2-3 foot lift as opposed to 18"
Geo

Hi Geo

Well I visited Liesuretech last Saturday and was very impressed with the Teleco Magicstat Sat Dish. Its a bit pricey but it looks the business.

Do you know anything about this dish.

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry Jim nothing on that one :cry:
My favourite is the Maxview crankup for Satellite and the Status 530 series aerials for terrestrial, Ive had both on the Coachmen,and Kontiki, total control,
My Damon has a fully Auto system (all ready Fitted) and if it fails to lock on I'm stuck. not that it has, but I'm all for manual controlling things, they tend to do what there told when there told :thumb:
Geo

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Sorry Jim nothing on that one :cry:
My favourite is the Maxview crankup for Satellite and the Status 530 series aerials for terrestrial, Ive had both on the Coachmen,and Kontiki, total control,
My Damon has a fully Auto system (all ready Fitted) and if it fails to lock on I'm stuck. not that it has, but I'm all for manual controlling things, they tend to do what there told when there told :thumb:
Geo

Thanks Geo

Your probabley correct with the manual bit doing as its told.

I was so impresssed with the technology involved with the Magicsat. I had it demonstrated (I know thats no real assurance) and it was excellent.

As I say its a bit pricey but I am also having 240V installed (my mh is 110) 240V sockets, new liesure battery, 17" telly, dvd etc and so in for a penny so to speak.

Once its done that should be it

Jim

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I recently bought a "Electronic Antenna" out of one of these free mags that you are overun with at the weekend. £12.99. Couldn't believe it actualy works. No Ghosting or snow. I use it when parking in laybye's and not appropriate to raise sat dish. Best £13 I have spent.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back