May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Good morning funsters.
Does anyone have a view regarding Air beam awnings?
I have a low profile m/h with a Fiamma awning attached. I have considered the safari room but it looks a bit cumbersome and awkward to be constructing on my own especially in bad weather. The Vango air beam looks easy to put up but would be an expensive mistake.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They look a brilliant idea. There are two big problems with awnings, weight and erection. Both solved.

Pity about the price.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Don't know if you've considered these:
www.windblockers.net
but they are v light and do what the name implies.
I think there's something on YouTube involving these and candles!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

We've got these but they do not cope with real wind, we found that out the hard way. But excellent for a nice Brit summer breeze. Very quick to erect and weight absolutely nothing, fit in a shopping bag.

But for a long stay on site and a "secure" extra room, a proper awning is the way to go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RioKXRKaJpc"]WINDBLOCKER SHADES DEMO - YouTube[/ame]

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
We've got both. Found the drive-away unsuitable on windy days (and nights) mainly because of the noise it makes.The WB is good for daytime use, ie better than a wind break. Just bought a small tent for storage on long stays. Much easier to erect than the drive-away and the tent + WB don't weigh half of what the drive-away does.

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know if you've considered these:
www.windblockers.net
but they are v light and do what the name implies.
Thank you for this, looks like a marvellous innovation. I need an awning with an internal bedroom for accommodating a friend overnight so this won't do the trick. Appreciate the suggestion though.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I got a set of wind blocker in burgandy hardly used, in fact one end has not been opened and never used, £125.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Sue, I see you got that van. :thumb:

Mike and Carolyn on here have the Kampa, see this thread :

Broken Link Removed

They are very pleased with theirs, they are expensive but you get what you pay for. ::bigsmile:

Bob and Jane.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
We had the vango airbeam,brilliant idea but as it does not run the length of the van but outwards from the van had some run-ins with wardens of being to big for the pitch.Even got threatened to be thrown off site at peterborough,until my wife got the caravan club involved.After that wardens left us alone(funny that)

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We had the vango airbeam,brilliant idea but as it does not run the length of the van but outwards from the van had some run-ins with wardens of being to big for the pitch.Even got threatened to be thrown off site at peterborough,until my wife got the caravan club involved.After that wardens left us alone(funny that)

Thank you. They do two sizes, did you have the bigger of the two?

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
We started off with the bigger one,but swapped it for the smaller one, this was better but got fed up with the driveaway part flapping against the side of the van all night.we are currently looking at the Kampa version.We saw it at the NEC yesterday.This looks a better one all round,and it runs paralell to the van

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Think I will stick with our safari room. takes less time to put up and as we would never drive away from site in MH ( we have scooter for that ) it's a waste of the extra money. Ours fits nice up to the MH so wind ( unless it's blowing a gale ) is not a problem and we would not have it out in strong winds period!!!!

What if your away from UK and one of the air tubes is U/S how do you get a spare. At least we can call into any MH supplier in EU and get spares.

I'm a great believer in "KISS"

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Good morning funsters.
Does anyone have a view regarding Air beam awnings?
I have a low profile m/h with a Fiamma awning attached. I have considered the safari room but it looks a bit cumbersome and awkward to be constructing on my own especially in bad weather. The Vango air beam looks easy to put up but would be an expensive mistake.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.
We also were looking for a drive away Awning and the Kampa gets good reviews, we went to our local dealers who have them on display the feedback that he got from customers was the noise they make in the wind he also suggested if it there are strong winds take it down. In the end based not only on his advise we settled for a Dorema Challenger which is made of the normal awning materiel the only thing is the weight, when erected far stronger and in a wind no noise this is down to the heavier fabric. On a separate point what happens if you puncture the Air Beam

OP
OP
dreckly

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We also were looking for a drive away Awning and the Kampa gets good reviews, we went to our local dealers who have them on display the feedback that he got from customers was the noise they make in the wind he also suggested if it there are strong winds take it down. In the end based not only on his advise we settled for a Dorema Challenger which is made of the normal awning materiel the only thing is the weight, when erected far stronger and in a wind no noise this is down to the heavier fabric. On a separate point what happens if you puncture the Air Beam

I imagine a puncture repair kit would do the trick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back