Motorists - please drive on the left! (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Can I encourage motorists to start driving on the left; not the middle, not just left of the middle but the real honest to goodness proper left.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can I encourage motorists to start driving on the left; not the middle, not just left of the middle but the real honest to goodness proper left.

Good point, and well put. There seems to be this 'trend' towards creeping over the white line. Maybe everyone wants to be a racing driver. This is really scary, and very dangerous, to bikers for one. You are taught to use all the road up to the centre line on a left hand bend, when around same bend comes Johnny Range Rover, two feet over the line on your side.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I'm sure people are taught to drive differently to when I was taught back in the 60's.
Have you noticed, instead of "give way" it's "move over" and whats with all this waving to each other. You let someone through and they nearly miss you because they have to give a little wave.. Phhht

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:I used to drive on the left, but nowadays the councils don't cut the hedges and trees and my motorhome keeps getting scratched... so I am guilt of creeping towards the central line. Sorry.:Blush:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
:Sad:I used to drive on the left, but nowadays the councils don't cut the hedges and trees and my motorhome keeps getting scratched... so I am guilt of creeping towards the central line. Sorry.:Blush:

TUT TUT! Prepare to be spanked!.....Well, not REALLY!:winky:

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Fog lights

And whats this thing about driving with front fog lights on,
everyone wants to be a boy racer, and its breaking the law,
unless its foggy

:Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And whats this thing about driving with front fog lights on,
everyone wants to be a boy racer, and its breaking the law,
unless its foggy

:Angry:

True but outdated these days, the legal, damned LED marker lights make fog lights look like candles.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Potholes can be the problem, especially the left hand side of country lanes they are littered with them. Filled with rain water and they are a potential suspension destroyer so hogging the middle is the safest option.
If you think they are too far into your lane then you can always turn it into a game of chicken and see who moves back over the line first. It works for me. :thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Potholes can be the problem, especially the left hand side of country lanes they are littered with them. Filled with rain water and they are a potential suspension destroyer so hogging the middle is the safest option.
If you think they are too far into your lane then you can always turn it into a game of chicken and see who moves back over the line first. It works for me. :thumb:

and if you REALLY wanna play Chicken, do what I do and forget where the dimmer switch is on your wheel when headlights are on full beam ......... and as you approach an oncoming car round a bend .. turn them off by mistake.
:whatthe:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have to admit that after a couple of near misses where on coming vehicles have squeezed past ( i reckon often with "eyes closed" ) on narrow roads without slowing down. I not only drive to keep away from the overhanging branches but will deliberately move slightly more to the right if an oncoming vehicle looks as if they are going on a suicide mission,:RollEyes: to ensure that that oncoming vehicle slows and we both make a controlled pass. :hardhat:

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004

And then remember us cyclists who are expected to stay in the gutter on the left!:Eeek:

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
i have to admit that after a couple of near misses where on coming vehicles have squeezed past ( i reckon often with "eyes closed" ) on narrow roads without slowing down. I not only drive to keep away from the overhanging branches but will deliberately move slightly more to the right if an oncoming vehicle looks as if they are going on a suicide mission,:RollEyes: to ensure that that oncoming vehicle slows and we both make a controlled pass. :hardhat:

Hope you don`t control them, straight into the front of your vehicle !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back