Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
There is probably a thread on here already but I can't seem to find how to search for it:Doh:.......

Having just bought our first motor home, a Rapido 700 on a VW T4, we want to have a towbar fitted.

We called Towsure ( always used them in the past ) but they don't fit to motorhomes any longer :RollEyes:

We are coming to he UK soon with the motorhome and we are going to have other things done....... Does anyone know of a good company that we can ring for an appointment ?

Otherwise has anyone had one fitted in France? We live in the north Haute Vienne?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have just had an A frame fitted at Armitages, they were very good.
At the same time there was a giy from London who was having a tow bar fitted on the MH and an A frame to his car.
Look on line for Armitage Trailers, near Leeds.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Will try and find the receipt for who fitted mine, but in the meantime it might be worth a pm to Old Mo.

I seem to recall he started a thread once on beware when having towbar fitted. He, or a friend of his, found that their towbar had not been connected underneath to a strengthener or something ..... sorry, I am not vehicle wise, but it would be worth the pm, just in case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I had the same problem, we don't fit to motorHomes,
ACCE of scarborough did mine for me with twin electrics too :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Movans on the right track with Armatidges, they fitted a a frame that caused the brakes to set fire on the customers smart car within about 12 miles of there buissness- upon hearing from customer they came out admitting fault but then denied doing anything wrong :Eeek:fellow lost his car and a frame and I belive his wife only had a few months to live hence getting the frame done to give her a last holiday - no idea how he eventually got on but the mere fact that they admit fault at the scean then denied once ins got involved means I would not give them my buissness or recomend them
Terry

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Movans on the right track with Armatidges, they fitted a a frame that caused the brakes to set fire on the customers smart car within about 12 miles of there buissness- upon hearing from customer they came out admitting fault but then denied doing anything wrong :Eeek:fellow lost his car and a frame and I belive his wife only had a few months to live hence getting the frame done to give her a last holiday - no idea how he eventually got on but the mere fact that they admit fault at the scean then denied once ins got involved means I would not give them my buissness or recomend them
Terry

I have never had anything fitted by them or Watlings and was only passing on info, so can't comment on their quality or integrity.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Armitages gave me a comprehensive handover.
One of the things they insisted upon was to to stop after a mile or so and check that my brakes were not hot on the car, meaning i had either left the handbrake on or the wire that operated the brakes needed adjustment, and never become complacecent about doing the checks.

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wow! Talk about quick replies!!

Many thanks to all of you, certainly gave us plenty of options :Smile::thumb:

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
We recently had a bespoke tow bar made and fitted by Devon Valley Fabrications at Cullompton Devon (just off M5 junction 28)

Fantastic build and great company to deal with first visit to measure and design, then they made it, power coated (couple of weeks) and then we returned for fitting.

Would recommend :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just for info so you can make a reasonably informed decision..:Doh:.. the law has changed on motorhome tow bars in the past 12 months which is probably why towsure are out of it. As there is now type ( by type of vehicle ) approval required for each towbar for each particular motorhome.

its a bit conveluted but you need to know if your motorhome is EU type approved. most were not prior to 2009 but some were, :Doh: also it was not enforced untill 2012 so many more were type approved by the manufacturers between 2009 and 2012 so its not clear or that easy.
the reason is that if its a type approved motorhome ( all since April 2012 have to be ) then only a type approved towbar may be fitted.
if its not type approved motorhome then i believe a bespoke / none type approved can be fitted.

i recently looked into this for my van manufactured early 2012.

Watlings seem to be on the ball with the details of most motorhomes even the main dealers were in the dark as to what tow bars the were legally allowed to fit.

hope this helps.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
If your vehicle was registered after April 2012 you have to have a type approved towbar.

The only one (as far as I am aware) on the market at the moment is the one made by Memo in Holland. See them here www.autoproducten.com This is sold and fitted by both Watling and Armitages.

Auto-Trail and Elddis have a tie up with Witter which are type approved for their MH and Al-Ko do them for an Al-Ko chassis. You are looking at around the £800 mark for them to be fitted with the appropriate electrics.

I have family members in the industry, one who works for a towbar manufacturer in the design, technical and testing department, and one who has his own towbar fitting business (he won't touch motorhomes !), so my information is pretty well up to date.

If your MH is pre April 2012 you can have one made and fitted by one of the already mentioned manufacturers.

I have a Memo one fitted, just recently, to my MH.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as an aside....wherever you have a bar fitted insist on 7 pin electrics.

13 pin electrics function is an MOT-able item and ANY fault found will result in an MOT fail.

7 pin electrics are not MOT-able.....yet :RollEyes:

ALL towbars and associated wiring are now checked for security of fixings at MOT.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I know very many people have tow bars fitted but it is probably worth mentioning that it does use up some of your weight allowance.
I had one on my motorhome and removed it because it was very heavy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I could be completely wrong here Guys but my interpritation when i read this up only last week from a transport web site ( which i cant crrently refind ) is that:-

all motorhomes after April 2012 and any that were Type approved prior to that must have a type approved bar fitted to comply with mot. also that all new type approved bars were to be fitted with a 13 pin electrics.

however, this is not retrospective, so if a type approved van had a non type approved towbar fitted prior to April 2012 then it did not need to be changed.

i have decided for now to park me thoughts of a towbar fitting.:Doh:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I know very many people have tow bars fitted but it is probably worth mentioning that it does use up some of your weight allowance.
I had one on my motorhome and removed it because it was very heavy.

Towbars are quite heavy but it's a bugger pulling my trailer without one. :winky:

I could be completely wrong here Guys but my interpritation when i read this up only last week from a transport web site ( which i cant crrently refind ) is that:-

all motorhomes after April 2012 and any that were Type approved prior to that must have a type approved bar fitted to comply with mot. also that all new type approved bars were to be fitted with a 13 pin electrics.

however, this is not retrospective, so if a type approved van had a non type approved towbar fitted prior to April 2012 then it did not need to be changed.

i have decided for now to park me thoughts of a towbar fitting.:Doh:

As far as I am aware the fitting of 13 pin sockets is not compulsory.
No point in having one for my 7 pin trailer plug. The trailer was built after April 2012 by a professional company, not me. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Volusia

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My goodness, it's a bit of a minefield isn't it? Thank you all for your amazingly detailed responses. Special thanks to Phill D whose reply even I could understand :ROFLMAO: Dave (my husband )of course understood all the responses... Or said he did :RollEyes:

The question now is .... What is the law in France, a country of paperwork in triplicate for everything:Eeek:

I think I may have some serious homework to do now:whatthe:

Thank you all so much - you may have saved us from a very expensive mistake :thumb:

You are all brilliant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back