Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
This is bit long winded but please bear with me.

We are planning a trip to Llfranc which is in the Costa Brava.

We have two weeks holiday and are finding it difficult to plan our journey so that we have a reasonable amount of time at our destinition.

It all seems to be just driving which isn't what we want.

We live in Birkenhead on the Wirrral, google tells me that it will take 5-1/2 hours to Dover, this means 8 hours driving at 55MPH.

If we leave Thursday morning 8am we will be in Dover for 4pm, room for error 5pm. Take a 6pm crossing and arrive at Calais 7pm approx.

By this time we will need sleep but will have to find somewhere to sleep and not having been to Calais before we dont know where to go. We will likley get lost.

Get a nights sleep around Calais on Thursday night and on the road Friday morning bright and early.

Drive for 6 hours and book in to a site on Friday night for more sleep. Possibley stay over on Saturday to rest up. On the road Sunday and drive to the Costa Brava.

Arrive Sunday night and go to bed.

Monday we are at our destination and starting our holiday which really should have started when we left our house in the m/h but because we have just been driving to a destination and have been tired it hasn't been possible.

We have the same thing to do on return, 4 days of travel to get home, 8 days of just travel within our 14 day holiday period.

Is this all a bridge to far. Whats the poit of a m/h holiday if we are forever driving and tired.

Would it be better to limit ourselves to somwhere in France that we can reach by Friday/Saturday.

I know most of you guys have been about in France and Spain so Please Help.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
This is bit long winded but please bear with me.

We are planning a trip to Llfranc which is in the Costa Brava.

We have two weeks holiday and are finding it difficult to plan our journey so that we have a reasonable amount of time at our destinition.

It all seems to be just driving which isn't what we want.

We live in Birkenhead on the Wirrral, google tells me that it will take 5-1/2 hours to Dover, this means 8 hours driving at 55MPH.

If we leave Thursday morning 8am we will be in Dover for 4pm, room for error 5pm. Take a 6pm crossing and arrive at Calais 7pm approx.

By this time we will need sleep but will have to find somewhere to sleep and not having been to Calais before we dont know where to go. We will likley get lost.

Get a nights sleep around Calais on Thursday night and on the road Friday morning bright and early.

Drive for 6 hours and book in to a site on Friday night for more sleep. Possibley stay over on Saturday to rest up. On the road Sunday and drive to the Costa Brava.

Arrive Sunday night and go to bed.

Monday we are at our destination and starting our holiday which really should have started when we left our house in the m/h but because we have just been driving to a destination and have been tired it hasn't been possible.

We have the same thing to do on return, 4 days of travel to get home, 8 days of just travel within our 14 day holiday period.

Is this all a bridge to far. Whats the poit of a m/h holiday if we are forever driving and tired.

Would it be better to limit ourselves to somwhere in France that we can reach by Friday/Saturday.

I know most of you guys have been about in France and Spain so Please Help.

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Quote from Jims signature

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~Lao Tzu"

Maybe this will answer your question. We usually take our time through France, it's a nice country in places, so why not enjoy it. ::bigsmile:

You may not reach Spain, but that can wait for another time when you will have the experience of travelling through France. :thumb:

The only time we rush to Spain is in the winter when the weather can be bad. :Eeek:

Keith

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Have you thought of crossing from Plymouth to Roscoff. Bit more expensive but there is a free camper stop at Lee Mill with a Tesco/fuel within 3/4 mile (mind it may be cheaper oin France) The crossing is 6 hrs to France and you will then be fresh for a long drive down the West coast and should reach NW Spain in one go. Not too far then to the C Brava Do you have an ACSI card? if not try Vicarious Books on the web.and it will same you a few bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
madbluemad

Sorry I also forgot to say, you can stay on the ticket office car park at Calais, many motorhomes do. :thumb:

We have done this trip evry winter & found this to be the best way as we can be on the road early & get well down France on the first day. :thumb:

Keith

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Yes Jims philosophy is a good one and thats the way that we are starting to think. Maybe just wander around France.

We havent looked at the Plymouth option but will do.

We did look at Portsmouth to Bilbao. This is a two day ferry crossing but it is on a cruise ship with a double cabin, pools, bars, entertainment etc but again its not a m/h holiday.

Food for thought.

Thanks

Guys:Smile:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
madbluemad

Sorry I also forgot to say, you can stay on the ticket office car park at Calais, many motorhomes do. :thumb:

We have done this trip evry winter & found this to be the best way as we can be on the road early & get well down France on the first day. :thumb:

Keith

Thats excellent info Keith. That was one of our main worries:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Calais to Llfranc is about 800 miles so doable in two days, we have done this twice in the last few years, once to Perpignan and once to Playa De Aro, both times Via millau.

For me thats about 10 hours driving with rest stops per day, never bothered with sites on the way, just parked in the services, we thought it was worth it because your almost guaranteed the sun.

Unless you intend to go close to Calais you will still spend a day driving to say the Atlantic coast.

We always use the Calais Plage aire, which is on the other side of the ferry port, I can give you directions and GPS if you want. You can also park in the ferry port, but I am not sure where.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It really does depend upon you but you should remember that the travel should be one of the most enjoyable parts of the holiday. That said:RollEyes:, last August and sick of the bad weather in the UK we crossed to Calais at around midnight. It was raining ,we parked up just outside the docks (turn right out of the terminal and in 600 yds turn right again into a small lorry park) We slept till 6 it rained all night.

At 7am we headed south and in the late afternoon we pulled into the Aire at Disneyland Paris. It was raining hard. We had a meal in the Disney Village but did not enter the park, it was too wet.

The next day we left Disneyland in the Rain at about 6am and I said I was not going to stop driving until we were in sunshine. We had to cross the Pyrenees before we saw the sun, we pulled on to a campsite in the Costa Brava and had time for a beer before the sun went down.

Would I recommend a dash for Spain, No, France is too nice and should not be hurried through and driving that long is hard and probably dangerous, But I just hate the rain. That's what 4 years in Wales does to a man::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why does it always take a simple mind to fix the most complex problems, your all trying to fix the wrong thing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Take a MONTH off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi we took a month off and travelled through France to Spain in August 2006 and I must say that it did rain at least once everyday, sometimes very heavily with thunder other times just a short shower!

I was speaking with a Frenchman on a site on our way back at Arcachon and as I understood it he said that August was always bad in France it was always much better in September!

Regards Pat

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Calais to Llfranc is about 800 miles so doable in two days, we have done this twice in the last few years, once to Perpignan and once to Playa De Aro, both times Via millau.

For me thats about 10 hours driving with rest stops per day, never bothered with sites on the way, just parked in the services, we thought it was worth it because your almost guaranteed the sun.

Unless you intend to go close to Calais you will still spend a day driving to say the Atlantic coast.

We always use the Calais Plage aire, which is on the other side of the ferry port, I can give you directions and GPS if you want. You can also park in the ferry port, but I am not sure where.

Olley

This is exacltley the area that we would like to be in. We have been there many times before and its great. Any info on places to park are appreciated.

There again as Jim said, whats the point of breaking your neck to get somewhere only to turn around and come back.

The sunshine is a must after hanging around here all winter and so its a toughie:Doh:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Why does it always take a simple mind to fix the most complex problems, your all trying to fix the wrong thing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: -
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Take a MONTH off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Good Point Geo

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi we took a month off and travelled through France to Spain in August 2006 and I must say that it did rain at least once everyday, sometimes very heavily with thunder other times just a short shower!

I was speaking with a Frenchman on a site on our way back at Arcachon and as I understood it he said that August was always bad in France it was always much better in September!

Regards Pat

Its September when we are going Pat. It starts to get a bit cool in The Costa Brava in September, the nights are drawing in and you can feel the summer starting to come to an end which is why we didnt automatically choose France, the weather!!!

Jim

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Have you thought of crossing from Plymouth to Roscoff. Bit more expensive but there is a free camper stop at Lee Mill with a Tesco/fuel within 3/4 mile (mind it may be cheaper oin France) The crossing is 6 hrs to France and you will then be fresh for a long drive down the West coast and should reach NW Spain in one go. Not too far then to the C Brava Do you have an ACSI card? if not try Vicarious Books on the web.and it will same you a few bob:thumb:

Hey Geoff what is an ACSI Card?

Jim

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

Olley

Blimey, that brings back some dim and distant childhood memories :roflmto:

We used to holiday at Camping Cala Gogo at Playa de Aro in the early 70s, it was a great site back then although I bet it has changed since then...........I'll never forget those hairpin bends though :Eeek: Grandad's old Austin 3 litre overheating with an Eccles Caravan on the back and the petrol stations giving away "Asterix" books - those were the days! :Cool:

ACSI card............. Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Good Point Geo
If only life were that simple, were off to morroco for a 3 week tour plus a week in either direction with a gang from here and we have stolen 5 weeks to do it in whilst others are taking months out to do the same trip, Some may not even come back!!!!!!!!! how goods that::bigsmile:
Good luck with your plans and remember your holiday starts with the Motor Home ignition:thumb:
Geo

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Geo

Whats the exchange rate would you like one hump or two SIR, why stop at a month, make it a lifetime. Go on what are you waiting for.................................:Smile:

stew

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi Madbluemad,
Just done a bit of 'research'....
Birkenhead to Plymouth is 300 miles. Can you overnight it? :Mellow:
Plymouth to Santander gives you loads of time to relax.:Cool:
Santander to Llfranc is about 500 miles and could take you through some lovely countryside, so say two days or maybe even three (it is part of the holiday, after all).
Not familiar with Girona but can heartily recommend a trip to Barcelona, but not with the MH, better take a train::bigsmile:

And yes I know that the Plymouth Santander route is quite pricey:Eeek:

John

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
If only life were that simple, were off to morroco for a 3 week tour plus a week in either direction with a gang from here and we have stolen 5 weeks to do it in whilst others are taking months out to do the same trip, Some may not even come back!!!!!!!!! how goods that::bigsmile:
Good luck with your plans and remember your holiday starts with the Motor Home ignition:thumb:
Geo

Sounds like a rave Geo. Anyhow have a good time, I guess you didnt need telling that. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Blimey, that brings back some dim and distant childhood memories :roflmto:

We used to holiday at Camping Cala Gogo at Playa de Aro in the early 70s, it was a great site back then although I bet it has changed since then...........I'll never forget those hairpin bends though :Eeek: Grandad's old Austin 3 litre overheating with an Eccles Caravan on the back and the petrol stations giving away "Asterix" books - those were the days! :Cool:

ACSI card............. Link Removed

Hi Lindy. The area hasn't changed at all and I dont think that it will. The people there dont want it to and the terrain will not allow any major building work.

There has been some major road improvment over the last few years

Jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi linda we stayed at camping international colonge, on the road between there and palamos, nice site, but very small pitches.

olley

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Madbluemad,
Just done a bit of 'research'....
Birkenhead to Plymouth is 300 miles. Can you overnight it? :Mellow:
Plymouth to Santander gives you loads of time to relax.:Cool:
Santander to Llfranc is about 500 miles and could take you through some lovely countryside, so say two days or maybe even three (it is part of the holiday, after all).
Not familiar with Girona but can heartily recommend a trip to Barcelona, but not with the MH, better take a train::bigsmile:

And yes I know that the Plymouth Santander route is quite pricey:Eeek:

John

Hi John

Its the Portsmouth to Bilbao one thats looking favourite at the minute. Nice daytime drive to Plymouth.

A couple of days cruising along the French and Spanish Coast.

A pleasant one day drive to Llfranc and the jobs a good un.

I just fancy having a go through Dover to Calais though.

Watch this space :winky:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi John

Its the Portsmouth to Bilbao one thats looking favourite at the minute. Nice daytime drive to Plymouth.

A couple of days cruising along the French and Spanish Coast.

A pleasant one day drive to Llfranc and the jobs a good un.

I just fancy having a go through Dover to Calais though.

Watch this space :winky:

Yes, that's not bad; about 40 miles shorter than Plymouth; not motorway between Oxford and Southampton, but then it's not motorway after Exeter going to Plymouth. It's a slightly longer crossing. Probably not a lot in it.

Go for it:thumb:.

John

E

EricOnTour2

Deleted User
not motorway between Oxford and Southampton, but then it's not motorway after Exeter going to Plymouth. It's a slightly longer crossing. Probably not a lot in it.

Go for it:thumb:.

John

A43 > M3 between Oxford and Sunny Southampton is a pretty easy journey.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The dutch have a great idea. We met a lovely couple in Santa Suzanna, they went to Spain for a fortnight every 2-3 months. They put their motorhome into storage at a garage etc for 11 euros a week in Spain, then flew out, picked it up and went on their travels for a fortnight.

No travelling, no excess diesel, no hassle!!!

For them it was wonderful, they both worked and enjoyed touring 2 weeks in Spain, personally we enjoy the 'getting there' as much as the arriving!

Ginny and Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The dutch have a great idea. We met a lovely couple in Santa Suzanna, they went to Spain for a fortnight every 2-3 months. They put their motorhome into storage at a garage etc for 11 euros a week in Spain, then flew out, picked it up and went on their travels for a fortnight.

For them it was wonderful, they both worked and enjoyed touring 2 weeks in Spain, personally we enjoy the 'getting there' as much as the arriving!

Ginny and Mike

cost me 10 euro's a DAY :Eeek:at a secure, patrolled truck compound near barcellona. lucky it was only 3 days.:Angry:cheaper than the nearest campsite though........18 euro's per night.:whatthe:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You want to try Bon Repos at Santa Susanna, we were right on the beach, paid just over 14 euros a night and if you stay 30 days, you only pay for 20!!!

We were there in April and May, and are going back September and October!

Ginny

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Ginny and Mike

We gave that a thought but we are out and about most every weekend and wouldn't be able to do that if the mh was in Spain

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back