Me again sorry more questions (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mark yes it's possible, but you need to find something solid to fasten the lapbelts to :thumb: perhaps stright to the floor?:winky:
Terry

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Mark yes it's possible, but you need to find something solid to fasten the lapbelts to :thumb: perhaps stright to the floor?:winky:
Terry

I can do that being a fabricator welder just need to figure it out flat plate drilled and taped to floor with two brackets with holes welded to it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Lap belts and side facing seats?

Mmmmmmm...........

I wonder whether, if you have a need for rear belts, that this purchase is a wise one.
You could re-jig the layout I suppose. It might be with looking on the web for a minibus bench seat and floor runners.

Good luck with it.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
yes you can. BUT they wont be legal or count as passenger safety belts as they will not have the correct safety accreditation.

as said above lap belts are normally for rear facing seats only.

they might even be worse than not having a belt in the wrong circumstances.

i am sure you could do the work more than adequately, regrettably that wont be enough on its own to make them legal. good luck with the work

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
yes you can. BUT they wont be legal or count as passenger safety belts as they will not have the correct safety accreditation.

as said above lap belts are normally for rear facing seats only.

they might even be worse than not having a belt in the wrong circumstances.

i am sure you could do the work more than adequately, regrettably that wont be enough on its own to make them legal. good luck with the work

100% correct as I am sure Geo will confirm, insurance will be void and you will be in deep poo if you have an accident.

Peter

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Mark

I don't want to tell you what to do as that's your choice, when we bought our first MH about 5 years ago we actually found one we really liked until I read about children with lap belts they can actually do more damage than no belts.

Also I'm sure although i may be wrong that if you have a proper seatbelt ie front passenger and no back ones then a child must use this before an adult so this would mean your wife would have to sit in the back with one of the kids upfront just have to pick your favourite one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

As I said just giving some advise and would never tell anyone what they must do.

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok thanks don't know what to do now as I have a 2 yo and 4 yo boys I have already thought about putting one of them I'm the front

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Mark don't give up your better to be Pee'd off now than buying a van you can't use. As someone else said your could always adapt the seats Brian aka hilldeweller did the opposite by turning a dinette in to an L shape lounge. I had a look in it at Chester and he has done a great job.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hi Mark,

Don`t give up. there is a solution to every problem, I am afraid lap belts or even three point seat belts are a no no on side facing seats, depending on the age of the van passengers not children can sit up at the end nearest to the cab seats with no seat belt, that is in my Autosleepers hand book, I have this problem now that I have changed MH before I had three belted seats, now only two, can have side seat changed to a dinette which would have three point seat belts fitted all legal, at a price, £2,500 from Autosleeper, gulp, so guess it will only be two in the cab now.

There must be a solution for you, it looks a great van especially for the price.

Good luck,

Margaret

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
I like it and went to see it and wanted it but not sure now with having two children and they must both be restrained.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If it were me, I would be looking for 4 proper belted seats to keep everyone safe.
There are companies that will design and fit proper belts to your van, I was looking at one a few days ago but can't remember who, a quick googling should give you a list of companies that can oblige and your insurance company would be ok with an approved installation
Allan

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not an easy one to resolve. i am sure your aware also that child seat / booster seats are required for children of certain ages / heights.

many UK manufactured vans claim to be 4 berth and can only travel with 2 belted passengers.:Doh: so really only 2 berths. :Sad:

there are some regulations that may allow travel without belts but the van will have to be manufactured before a certain date. i cant remember what that is ( its a bit like cars without rear seat belts that still on the road ) belts did not have to be fitted retrospectively.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
There are vans out there with more suitable seating arrangements, even for those on a budget.
Generally, I wouldn't have thought panel van conversions at this price point are going to have those all important rear travel seats.

Here is an example, though others are about for less.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mark lets get one thing stright because theres a load of nonsense coming out about seat belts:Eeek:
You can do/fit what you want its yourvan
Never fit 3 point belts to side seats as 3 pointers can break peoples neck in accident
Lap belts are fine but can alsocause injury to hips etc this has to be weighed up against no belts
Do posters honestly belive converters go through crash tests etc,when they fit lap belts:Smile:
Insurance null and void in accident because you fitted lap belts :whatthe:pure nonsense whos going to know who fitted them in the first place- you or original converter or possibility of several owners before you? Plus the same applies if you fit/convert your owns seats
WHO EXACTLY checked my own self build ? ME :Eeek:
All you can do is satisfy yourself everythings good and if that means fitting your own lap belts then so be it ::bigsmile:
It would be a doodle to fit lap belts to my van but I simply choose not to, gson is now 8 and wife is 60 so either sit in passenger seat or both lay down in the back Will either negate my insurance in event of a accident No :thumb:
Terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Mark lets get one thing stright because theres a load of nonsense coming out about seat belts:Eeek:
You can do/fit what you want its yourvan
Never fit 3 point belts to side seats as 3 pointers can break peoples neck in accident
Lap belts are fine but can alsocause injury to hips etc this has to be weighed up against no belts
Do posters honestly belive converters go through crash tests etc,when they fit lap belts:Smile:
Insurance null and void in accident because you fitted lap belts :whatthe:pure nonsense whos going to know who fitted them in the first place- you or original converter or possibility of several owners before you? Plus the same applies if you fit/convert your owns seats
WHO EXACTLY checked my own self build ? ME :Eeek:
All you can do is satisfy yourself everythings good and if that means fitting your own lap belts then so be it ::bigsmile:
It would be a doodle to fit lap belts to my van but I simply choose not to, gson is now 8 and wife is 60 so either sit in passenger seat or both lay down in the back Will either negate my insurance in event of a accident No :thumb:
Terry

all of the above i agree with except " theres a lot of nonsense coming out about seat belts "

suggest this is read and make of this what you choose :Blush:

www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the 2 year old legally must travel in a child seat and must not be fitted to side facing seat.

over 3 years the law is that a child over 25kgs must be in a forward facing booster seat.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Broken Link Removed

I think you'll find that side facing seats are legally not designated travel seats and therefore should not have seatbelts fitted.

If you only have 2 seatbelts available then a travelling child has to use the "spare belt" so Terry your 8 year old should always travel in the passenger seat.

all children under 3 years old are legally required to be restrained in a vehicle.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Another point is insurance. You should inform your insurance that you don't have enough belts for passengers - I bet you'll find they won't be too accommodating!

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for the advice. Does anyone have any idea on how I can fit a forward facing seat like this one http://bit.ly/1fCDpTA into the campervan I'm interested in?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
the 2 year old legally must travel in a child seat and must not be fitted to side facing seat.

over 3 years the law is that a child over 25kgs must be in a forward facing booster seat.
All the above are correct IF YOU HAVE SEATBELTS --IF YOUR VEHICLE DOES NOT HAVE/REQUIRE THEM FITTED then it's not applicable -- the van in question does not/ did not require then at the time of manufacture --so in Marks case the 2 yrs old should be fastened in the front passenger seat in the child seat- after that there are no more belted seats so others are in the back :thumb:Be that in lap belts or not fitted by who ever :Smile:
If you are unsure how to fit the lapbelts there are some companys out there who are accredited to fit after market belts but who is to say they will fit them any better than Mark himself :winky:Mark being a welder I am sure will make a good job of making and fitting brackets to which the belts can/ will be fitted :winky:
terry

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Dailys are often used as minibuses. Forward facing seats must be available.
Could a search of commercial breakers be a good start?

Lots on EBay!

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been looking but its a space problem I can get seats but need to come out when not in use

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Another point is insurance. You should inform your insurance that you don't have enough belts for passengers - I bet you'll find they won't be too accommodating!
Just where does it state side seats cannot carry passengers= my insurance simply asks how many seatbelts? I told them it's a 3 berth van but with only driver and passenger seats belted -the 3rd passenger sits in/on a side seat which does not requie belts :thumb: No problem Mr terry :winky:
terry

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just had a thought, :Doh: on my van one of the side seats is split and half of it can be rotated and has a lap belt.:thumb: as we have 5 belted seats we have never used it so i forgot about it

its a simple set up which i am sure you could manufacture.

do you want me to post pictures of the set up before / after and stripped to see the "workings":thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
just had a thought, :Doh: on my van one of the side seats is split and half of it can be rotated and has a lap belt.:thumb: as we have 5 belted seats we have never used it so i forgot about it

do you want me to post pictures of the set up before / after and stripped to see the "workings":thumb:

Yes please that would be grate help

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My tuppenceworth.

As a father of two children, nine and five, I would never let mine travel in a vehicle without the correct FACTORY FIT restraints.
No workarounds or improvisations, this is your kids safety.

Find out if it's possible to restore the original rear seat restraints or as suggested fit a bench seat upfront and use the factory fittted fixing points.

If this is not possible then find another van, they are out there.

Alternatively buy a caravan, it's not worth putting your children's safety at risk for the sake of a few holidays.

Just my tuppence worth and hope it works out for you

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
on my way out to the drive with the phone ( camera ) will post them soon:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Nice one Phil :thumb: but then playing Devils advocate who's going to say it's bolted to the floor corectly :Doh::Doh::Doh:::bigsmile:
Going back to pics of the van Mark to see if theres a simple way to move a cuboard or modify something :winky:
tery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back