Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Hi guys new her and my first build/rebuild

as the title says i have gone and done it and not by halves i have a bought a selfbuild it belonged to good friend of mine he has owned it for 10yrs but it spent the last 4 years parked up. its wright consort bodied leyland road runner 28footer
dont have any pics of her yet but heres a one from the web of the orig base vehicle

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpainter/2937178512/"]G571PNS (1990) Leyland 9-13R Roadrunner with Wright Bus Body | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

she has had all side and rear glass removed blanked with ally and some caravan windows fitted, interior fully kitted currently 6 berth,

pros
already a private hgv motorcaravan on V5
everything works
after very little effort she fired up built up and held air
cons
interior needs a full refit its not to bad just looks a bit tired and things arent fastened or wired up to my standard its more time than money
needs a full paint (roller and rustoleum job)

Mot wise steering box leaking, brake cables sticking strip clean rebuild all brakes.
and about 100 unforseen jobs lol
plan is to refitt exisiting interior and sort wiring paint over winter then use next summer then next winter strip interior again and redesign layout refit with a more uptodate interior...(want to use it first before redesign to get idea of where i want things sometimes you need to live with these first) and fit

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
the other problem well not really a prob is i need to downrate her shes currently plated at a whopping 9t and i only have a c1 licence unladen in her present state she tips the scales at 5.8 tonnes so downrated at 7.5t i still have lots of payload etc... to play with

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome Lee. I am sure you will enjoy being here and sharing your experiences, and being able to ask advice from the others who have self-built. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Welcome Lee. I am sure you will enjoy being here and sharing your experiences, and being able to ask advice from the others who have self-built. :thumb:
am sure i will have more questions then everyone can handle lol

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Looks like a fun project ::bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few self-builders here if you ever need any help.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
welcome my first one was a bus 16 str ambulance transport just get out there and enjoy
and welcome to the fun

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Looks like a fun project ::bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few self-builders here if you ever need any help.
its more hard work than anything thing else luckly i am a mechanic by trade and a bit handy with the tools

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and Welcome to Motorhome Fun,:welcomefunster:

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Newcomer

Welcome Lee, this club really useful for all kinds of advice. Like you, I opted for a self build. Unlike you I knew nothing of my 709D Mercedes! I was impressed with the standard of the build. The owner b 4 me knew the guy who built it.She had done just 7000 miles in the last six years!:thumb: For me, it's as much about the truck as the m/h.The Merc mechanic who serviced her and put new front discs and pads on asked for first refusal, so I must have got something right. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Welcome Lee, this club really useful for all kinds of advice. Like you, I opted for a self build. Unlike you I knew nothing of my 709D Mercedes! I was impressed with the standard of the build. The owner b 4 me knew the guy who built it.She had done just 7000 miles in the last six years!:thumb: For me, it's as much about the truck as the m/h.The Merc mechanic who serviced her and put new front discs and pads on asked for first refusal, so I must have got something right. ::bigsmile:

part from the size of these things the beauty is we have a commerical truck thats designed to work all day everyday fully loaded and now there pretty much unloaded and not really working so mechanically they will last forever mines got a 5.9 cummings motor it only done 200,000kms so not even broken in yet lol

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
Hi Lee :thumb:

Looks great will make an exellent motorhome ,wish you luck with the conversion
post some more pic`s up as you progress and of course the finished job.

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
Well here's all 28ft of sheer awesomeness lol (well they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder) she looks quite good in the dark at a distance behind a hedge facing the other way with sunglasses on with your eyes closed lol
Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
I think I might be sharing this motorhome with another family :roflmto::roflmto:
Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

OP
OP
L

lee52

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
tyne and wear
Funster No
MH
selfbuild
Exp
well slowly getting there inside all stripped out ready for refit still not sure on layout made a scale drawing and made little cardboard cutouts for fridges beds etc.. to move about lol

cant decide on paint colour for outside i am a big fan black but prob is black shows all dents etc... whites the best for hiding a multitude of sins

would a big black mh cause probs getting into sites ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back