LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For those of you that have older Mercedes based A class campers you will know about engine noise issues. When I had the interior makeover done I got them to make me an engine/dog kennel cover out of leather which I must say reduced the engine noise quite a lot.
To reduce it further I am thinking along the lines of stapling either acoustic foam or carpet underlay onto the underside of the plywood dash, above the engine. You know, the bit between the windscreen and the original van dashboard. I did have a new dash carpet made at the same time as the makeover, but looking up from above the engine its just marine grade ply with some underseal painted on it. I am thinking that this is amplifying the sound similar to a drum.
I already have loads of carpet underlay in the attic so is there any reason why this cant be used. I know about the lead noise killer blankets, but dont fancy the outlay for them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
None at all the underlay works a treat,also if you can get some of the cieling tiles from false cielings that they fit in shops etc and can find somewhere to stick them they really make a difference :thumb: perhaps stick them under dash and paint with underseal ?
terry

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
If you could afford it I would go for the acoustic foam....should be flame/fire proof if its proper stuff....and much better characteristics than ordinary foam underlay.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I dont think there would be any risk of fire as its to far away from the engine. There would only be risk of fire if it came anywhere near the silencer, which it does not. Good point though.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I will try the underlay and then if am not satisfied, I can always staple the acoustic egg box foam on top. Belt and braces :thumb:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Metallica (or Judas Priest, Motorhead, Therapy etc) on the stereo plus a Bose speaker system.

Sorted.

JJ :Cool:

I just knew you would be along with that JJ. Am more of a Dire Straights, Brothers in Arms man myself.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Metallica (or Judas Priest, Motorhead, Therapy etc) on the stereo plus a Bose speaker system.

Sorted.

JJ :Cool:

I'd settle for Deep Purple, Black Sabbath or Uriah Heap will do it for me...:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just for info the cieling tiles are acustic sound deadening -- We used to stick a 4/6 wide strip around inside edges of secondry glazing and the difference in sound deadening was amazing :thumb: If you just put in secondry glazing - big difference - bit a 6 ins strip stuck to inside plaster was unbelivable
terry

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well that's the first layer of underlay on. Stapled to the bottom of the dash and brought down the bulkhead. Have got to glue it in place on the bulkhead, but couldn't wait to see if it made any difference. Works a treat :thumb:.

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Good man on the Dire Straits.

I have been considering using a spare bedroom's worth of underlay in the motorhome in an attempt to sound deaden it, my plan is to lay it on the floor of the cab underneath the normal floor mats.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back