Tyre woes (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi just decided to check my tyre pressures, all OK until I get to the nearside inner, the valve don't work :Sad: tried pushing it in with a screw driver but nothings coming out, I don't think its flat so called a mobile tyre service out. £35 to remove replace the valve and refit.

Seeing as it would cost me that in fuel to drive to their yard 5 miles away I said OK. ::bigsmile:

Olley

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
hi just decided to check my tyre pressures, all OK until I get to the nearside inner, the valve don't work :Sad: tried pushing it in with a screw driver but nothings coming out, I don't think its flat so called a mobile tyre service out. £35 to remove replace the valve and refit.

Seeing as it would cost me that in fuel to drive to their yard 5 miles away I said OK. ::bigsmile:

Olley

hi Olley.
Sorry to hear about your tyre problems.
A spare tyre valve and a small extraction tool would cost a £ or so is worth carrying as a spare. Also a foot pump would also be needed. changing a tyre valve needs no skill at all, just a tad of care. Would carrying one be a worth while addition to the toolbox ?
pudseykeith. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith I can push the centre of valve in without any air coming out, which means a) the tyre is flat or b) the valve is knackered

It maybe that if I removed the valve I would be greeted with a blast of air, but inners are a bugger to get to, so I took the easy way out. ::bigsmile:

I will have a look around and see if a long valve extractor is available, probably need to be on a flexy drive. Wonder if they do a 1/4 drive one, then I could use the flexy in my socket set.

Olley

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Do you not have valve extenders fitted - makes access as easy as the outer tyre?

:Smile:
Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Do you not have valve extenders fitted - makes access as easy as the outer tyre?

Keith
They cost about 2 call outs:whatthe:
No flexible tool to my knowlage Olley only short and longer for comercial tyres, and they are normally double ended so no hope unless you can adapt one
it is asumed the wheel will be "orf" if your playing with valves:Doh:
ps if you need a spare or two valves give us a shout
Geo

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys embarrassing, bad and expensive news.......:Blush::Blush::Blush:

The tyres flat, its also knackered :cry::cry:

He reckons I have been running it flat, and theirs what looks like a slight bulge in the sidewall, it may be OK but he wasn't happy to refit it. I think whats happened is that after Dave of Dave's motorhome services did the brake service the valve extender has been leaking.

I have the type that have a stiff wire running down them to operate the tyres valve, and if you don't adjust them correctly just bending the flexy a different way can cause them to operate the valve and the air will slowly escape.

I knew this and didn't check them after he did the service :Doh: all you have to do is remove the cap, if air comes out they need adjusting. Anybody know where I can get a Michelin 245x70x19.5 from?

He fitted the spare so I am ok to run.

Olley

Last edited:

Sheelagh

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
B class
Tyres

Don't know the full story cos don't listen half the time but Alan is away up in Scotland somewhere near dromnergrokit (apologies for the spelling) and had a puncture in his Rv inner back wheel. AA came to change it but the spare wheel in the lovely silver case on the back was the wrong size tyre for the wheel. So word of advice always check the spare when you buy a motorhome, Hoping he's on his way back now will speak to him later and listen maybe

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Tyres

I know you are a long way away from Plymouth!! but if anyone in this area is following the Forum the best tyre repair/fitter is Ridgeway Tyres in Plympton. They are great lads and don't rip you off. I popped in recently for a query and the boss checked all my tyres and for FREE. Not many of them about !! I have used him for years for car and Camper van tyres and the prices are usually cheaper that say ATS or KWIK FIT. Hope you sort your problem out and it's not too expensive:Doh:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Geoff all I can get a quote for at the mo are Coopers £274inc vat and delivery.:Sad:

Olley

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi Olley

I did a big search for tyres in 2006 and spent hours on the phone so I don't know if the infomation is correct.

19.5 as you realise is an odd size.

Michelin XZE2 were available from Burnt Mill Tyres (nr Basildon) tel 01268 727742price £210+VAT
Continental were £170 + VAT - PRICES INCLUDE FITTING.

Cooper Tyres are sold in the UK as 'RV' tyres - I don't know how as in the US the same tyre is sold for 'local trucks'.

Do make sure the load and speed rating are compatible.

If you can't get the Michelin then Good Year are probably the easiest to find and I checked with Good Year technical department what was best - they recommended
Good Year RHS - I fitted 6 - the ride was much better than the original GY RV tyres.
I got a special deal on 4 GYs from a truck tyre place in Barking, London but had to buy the other 2 from Hi-Q at £187 + VAT inclusive of fitting.

Hope that helps a little.
Keith

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith thanks for that info, much appreciated, going on the Cooper website and putting in the details including 1750kg load rate comes up with the RM160 which is the one Sintons sell so I think that will be OK.

The tyre fitter reckons he fits 19.5 to some coaches he has the contract for, he's going to check ratings and ring me tomorrow so it looks like one way or another I can get fixed up. Just need to spend some loot.:cry:

I will phone Burnt Mills tomorrow and get a quote.

Olley

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith just phoned Burnt Mills, he says my size are common truck tyres, so no problem with supply. He's got Michelins at £280 Bridgestone at £189 and Hancock at £149.5 all plus vat. The Hancock has a higher load rating than my Michelins and a speed rating of M (81mph) as the Winnie is governed to a max of 80mph that should be fine. ::bigsmile:

In his opinion the Michelins are overpriced, the Bridgestone are an equivalent quality to them, with the Hancocks slightly less, so I think I am going to get a Hancock.

Olley

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Olley

I may be wrong but Didn't Scotjimland go to Burnt Mill for his tyres for George?

If it is the same place I recall he was very impressed with their service :Smile:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Pleased to be of help Olley ::bigsmile:

By the way if you're looking them up on the web its Hankook - weird I know:RollEyes:

Keith

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Don't know the full story cos don't listen half the time but Alan is away up in Scotland somewhere near dromnergrokit (apologies for the spelling) and had a puncture in his Rv inner back wheel. AA came to change it but the spare wheel in the lovely silver case on the back was the wrong size tyre for the wheel. So word of advice always check the spare when you buy a motorhome, Hoping he's on his way back now will speak to him later and listen maybe

Linda

Its really strange that you should say that. The spare wheel on my m/h doesnt fit on to my real wheel either. The hole pitch positions are different.

I wonder why that would be. I wonder if there is a valid reason for it.

I have had to get a new wheel impoted from the states. Sorry for moving a tad off topic

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back