Switching off water pump when not needed (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Had a problem whilst in Germany recently which may be of interest to others. We were having lunch in the van when there was a sudden and loud gush followed by water dripping from the sink area.

Luckily, we were sat there and were able to switch the water pump off quickly. I could see through a gap in the kitchen sink cabinet that the hot water feed had come away from the base of the tap so had to partially remove the sink unit to get at the hose clip to refit it.

I dread to think what we could have faced if we were not in the van at the time as we had three quarters of a tank of fresh water on board so now we try to turn the pump off whenever we are not using it.

The van is an Autocruise Alto panel van conversion and I guess that the water system is pressurised when the pump is on which must put some load onto any joints in the pipework?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The van is an Autocruise Alto panel van conversion and I guess that the water system is pressurised when the pump is on which must put some load onto any joints in the pipework?

That's right. Just like at home, with normal taps.

Ours, like many others, has a switch in the tap and that switches the pump on "on demand". Now you posted this, this looks a safer system but a bit more to go wrong in the tap.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I haven't had a problem like yours yet, but being aware of the possibility of it happening and returning to find the tank emptied into the m/h I do, when I remember, turn the pump off when going away from the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mine is also a pressurised system with an anti surge chamber. I also switch the pump off when we are away from the van or if its not being used. My old Tiffin had the same system and I finished up with a locker full of water when a joint blew whilst at a meet in Oswestry a couple of years ago.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I switch the pump off when not in the van and also when sleeping (aka stupor). :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I also switch the pump off when we are away from the van or if its not being used.

You being a serious dabbler in sparks should have an automatic switch so that when you lock the van from outside it trips the pump. Fail-safe.

I'd link ours to the alarm but for the fact that it's not needed.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pump

Same again, always turn it off. Had a similar experience years ago with a loose pipe although only a small amount of water escaped.

Russell

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
If really worried about it, turn pump off then open a tap to relieve pressure from pipework.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Had a problem whilst in Germany recently which may be of interest to others. We were having lunch in the van when there was a sudden and loud gush followed by water dripping from the sink area.

Luckily, we were sat there and were able to switch the water pump off quickly. I could see through a gap in the kitchen sink cabinet that the hot water feed had come away from the base of the tap so had to partially remove the sink unit to get at the hose clip to refit it.

I dread to think what we could have faced if we were not in the van at the time as we had three quarters of a tank of fresh water on board so now we try to turn the pump off whenever we are not using it.

Common problem. Yes always turn pump off when not in use
My Rv has a switch in the kitchen. And another in the shower room
So you can turn pump on / off as required

The yanks think of every thing :thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
:Eeek: I've never even given switching off my pump a thought!

Mine are microswitch taps, so the pump won't come on if a pipe goes - as to wether or not it will dump all the water from the tanks into the mh - don't have a clue! :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:Eeek: I've never even given switching off my pump a thought!

Mine are microswitch taps, so the pump won't come on if a pipe goes - as to wether or not it will dump all the water from the tanks into the mh - don't have a clue! :Sad:

If you have micro switches I dont think you have anything to worry about. Its only the pressurised systems that would pump all the water out in the event of a burst.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Always turn ours off when away from the van, but not usually at night in case someone needs to go!
Allan

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
If you have micro switches I dont think you have anything to worry about. Its only the pressurised systems that would pump all the water out in the event of a burst.

Phew! Thanks (but that's what I suspected! ::bigsmile: )

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I always turn ours off when we go out and at night. There are various switches both inside and out, one being by the toilet, to turn it back on if required. If full, 85gals would make a teeny tiny bit of a mess. :ROFLMAO:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yup! me too, When we were overwintering in Spain the boiler kept dumping the water during the night and then the sodding pump would kick in and would have run until the cold water tank had emptied. Now we always switch it off before we go to bed or leave the van.

No longer a problem when the boiler takes a dump!

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Got the habit from my dad when I was little and we had caravans. Always turn it off at night, when driving and when out.

Someone mentioned anti-surge, what's that?

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Like Melchior we are caravanners at heart and turn everything off everytime - saving battery.::bigsmile: Even now in our RV and on electric we still turn lights off straight away and turn the water pump off after use.

Friends of ours accidently left a tap in the bathroom running with the plug in the sink and because the water pump was always left switched on it flooded the RV.

We even turn the gas off when travelling too.

Regards Brian and Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back